• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rick Barnes

I am not an expert of Texas Basketball/Rick Barnes but talk like this concerns me a great deal if we were to hire him.

http://grantland.com/features/mark-titus-march-madness-ncaa-tournament-mailbag/

"With Haith and Crean relegated to the NIT and LOL, which coach will baffle the country with questionable rotations and terrible decisions during this year’s tournament? What team will advance in spite of this coach? I think you’re gonna say Rick Barnes. In fact I will be really surprised if you don’t say Rick Barnes.
—Phil A.

My two favorite things involving coaches that I like to remind people about:

1. Rick Barnes lost by 19 in the second round with Kevin Durant and D.J. Augustin.

2. Ben Howland had a week to prepare and a starting five of Darren Collison, Russell Westbrook, Josh Shipp, Luc Mbah a Moute, and Kevin Love in 2008, and he lost to what was essentially just Derrick Rose and Chris Douglas-Roberts by 15 in the Final Four.5

This should be each of these guys’ versions of “Craig James killed five hookers while at SMU.”"

Yeah, that 'lost in the final 4' is a real tragedy.

Yeah, that 'lost in the final 4' is a real tragedy.

I would say that it is a pretty huge red flag if an article from a very reputable author/website immediately answers that question by naming two of the board's major candidates. There is also the last five years at UCLA where he took one of the top five programs in the country to a point where it being called "a flaming pile of poo." I fear that people are not looking at his entire body of work but rather focusing solely on those three final fours. Don't get me wrong. Those are very impressive. I just believe those red flags are significant enough to preclude him from being in our top 3 or top 5.

Source for quote: http://grantland.com/features/mark-titus-top-12-ncaa-power-rankings-featuring-duke-cameron-crazies/

Last edited:
That 06-07 team had only one upper classmen who was on scholarship. Daniel Gibson and PJ Tucker really screwed over Barnes. If they had stayed then them plus Durant would've more than likely been a Final Four team.

The next year without Durant, Barnes lead UT to an Elite Eight.

Lamarcus Aldridge would have been on that Durant team too

Aldridge would've been an idiot if he stayed.

Gibson and Tucker weren't first round picks. They would've both benefited if they stayed another year.

Ok guys...this is third hand but here goes. Marshall says if Barnes goes to Wake he is going to Texas. I believe the source, just not sure if Marshall knows any inside info regarding Barnes potential to Wake.

Reason for move to TX is AAU situation there.

As I write this they are undefeated and are beating KY so seems odd he would leave WS for there but I'm not a sage on the AAU/recruiting influence in college bkb.

Aldridge would've been an idiot if he stayed.

Gibson and Tucker weren't first round picks. They would've both benefited if they stayed another year.

Oh I am not disagreeing with that. Just talking about how ridiculous that team could have been

This is just silly. No way we spoke to a coach still dancing. This is totally trolling.

Ok guys...this is third hand but here goes. Marshall says if Barnes goes to Wake he is going to Texas. I believe the source, just not sure if Marshall knows any inside info regarding Barnes potential to Wake.

Reason for move to TX is AAU situation there.

As I write this they are undefeated and are beating KY so seems odd he would leave WS for there but I'm not a sage on the AAU/recruiting influence in college bkb.

I hope his dreams don't come true.

This is just silly. No way we spoke to a coach still dancing. This is totally trolling.

Keep thinking that. You don't have to believe me but I am very confident that we have contacted Barnes and their was interest on both sides. Not saying it is anywhere near a done deal but he is on the list.

No no no! He would lose a 16 pt lead to unc in the last min almost every game.

We absolutely cannot hire a coach who is 60+ at this time.

Rick Barnes would recruit the hell out of Tobacco Road. Texas is maybe the one school where his recruiting talent and building of consistent teams is taken for granted because they are one of the most wealthy programs and demand year to year excellency. I could absolutely see Marshall being a star there.

Rick Barnes would be a name and would bring instant credibility. He makes 2.4 annually at Texas. Theoretically could be had assuming Texas doesn't want to keep him around.

I would be comfortable investing 2.5 mill and incentives to get a upper echelon coach. Barnes is infuriating in some instances but he usually is messing up with very talented players which Wake Forest needs to refocus on wooing.

Rick Barnes would recruit the hell out of Tobacco Road. Texas is maybe the one school where his recruiting talent and building of consistent teams is taken for granted because they are one of the most wealthy programs and demand year to year excellency. I could absolutely see Marshall being a star there.

Rick Barnes would be a name and would bring instant credibility. He makes 2.4 annually at Texas. Theoretically could be had assuming Texas doesn't want to keep him around.

I would be comfortable investing 2.5 mill and incentives to get a upper echelon coach. Barnes is infuriating in some instances but he usually is messing up with very talented players which Wake Forest needs to refocus on wooing.

Texas fans always want an upgrade in coaches. See Brown, Mack. They know that with their money and other resources, and their talent-rich pool of recruits in Texas, they can always do better than what they've got. Barnes is completely gettable right now. He's not at the very top of my list, but he'd be a splashier hire than Buzz to VTech. Talk about all kinds of national press.

Texas fans always want an upgrade in coaches. See Brown, Mack. They know that with their money and other resources, and their talent-rich pool of recruits in Texas, they can always do better than what they've got. Barnes is completely gettable right now. He's not at the very top of my list, but he'd be a splashier hire than Buzz to VTech. Talk about all kinds of national press.

The narrative on Wake getting Barnes would be 50% negative: He's old, he's near retirement, Texas might have run him out in a year or two anyway, he doesn't have the energy to rebuild Wake . . . He's a Butthead.

Back