• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rick Barnes

Hell of a coach. Has a team with 6 freshmen and 6 Sophs competing with a top ten team down the stretch in the second round of the NCAA tourney. He's too old to bring to Wake, but we could certainly do a lot worse.

They are going to be a damn good team next year.

He does not get along with the new AD. That is the only reason he is even considering it.

Care to reveal your source? About the only reason I'd believe we contacted Barnes is to ask for advice on what OTHER coach we should hire.

Buzz Williams to VT 2.0.

Plus about 20 years. Let's not underestimate what VT did. They may have hired the first or second (Bennett remains to be seen) great coach of the post-Coach K/Roy era. Every other program except FSU has tried to that within the last few years and failed except maybe UVA.

The Commonwealth has the two best coaches under 60 in the ACC.

Bennett, Buzz, and Shaka in the same state.

Last edited:
Care to reveal your source? About the only reason I'd believe we contacted Barnes is to ask for advice on what OTHER coach we should hire.

On this one I can't reveal. But trust me...my source would know.

Plus about 20 years. Let's not underestimate what VT did. They may have hired the first or second (Bennett remains to be seen) great coach of the post-Coach K/Roy era. Every other program except FSU has tried to that within the last few years and failed except maybe UVA.

The Commonwealth has the two best coaches under 60 in the ACC.

Bennett, Buzz, and Shaka in the same state.

With the 2.0 line, I was just referencing a feud with administration leading to a surprising, less glamorous new job. Nothing more.

I realize that. Mack Brown also has the pick of the litter of talent in the most talent-rich state in the nation. And he still fucks it up by either choosing the wrong players or turning it into a cluster mid-season. He should have been playing Alabama or USC in the BCS Championship Game every year.

But yeah, that 07 Longhorn team was stacked.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but there is no way that team with Durant and DJ Augustin should have lost 10 games.

Mack Brown one a title with Vince Young. Rick Barnes lost in the 2nd round with Kevin Durant.

That 06-07 team had only one upper classmen who was on scholarship. Daniel Gibson and PJ Tucker really screwed over Barnes. If they had stayed then them plus Durant would've more than likely been a Final Four team.

The next year without Durant, Barnes lead UT to an Elite Eight.

There is good reason to be down on Barnes for his age but people suggesting that he is not a capable and proven coach are insane IMO.

We could get 10 good years out of Barnes. Very possible. I'm torn on rolling the dice on him vs. Masiello. Given the need for a proven coach to counter VT, I lean Barnes.

I am not an expert of Texas Basketball/Rick Barnes but talk like this concerns me a great deal if we were to hire him.

http://grantland.com/features/mark-titus-march-madness-ncaa-tournament-mailbag/

"With Haith and Crean relegated to the NIT and LOL, which coach will baffle the country with questionable rotations and terrible decisions during this year’s tournament? What team will advance in spite of this coach? I think you’re gonna say Rick Barnes. In fact I will be really surprised if you don’t say Rick Barnes.
—Phil A.

My two favorite things involving coaches that I like to remind people about:

1. Rick Barnes lost by 19 in the second round with Kevin Durant and D.J. Augustin.

2. Ben Howland had a week to prepare and a starting five of Darren Collison, Russell Westbrook, Josh Shipp, Luc Mbah a Moute, and Kevin Love in 2008, and he lost to what was essentially just Derrick Rose and Chris Douglas-Roberts by 15 in the Final Four.5

This should be each of these guys’ versions of “Craig James killed five hookers while at SMU.”"

Last edited:
There is good reason to be down on Barnes for his age but people suggesting that he is not a capable and proven coach are insane IMO.

As evidenced by being named Big 12 Coach of the Year this season for the 4th time (shares that record with Bill Self).

There is just no way. Five years ago, yes. New landscape. Tectonic shift in conference dynamics is going to make this hire very different.

Back