• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rick Barnes

And saying that the Big 12 compares very favorable with the ACC in Basketball is like saying the ACC compares very favorably with the Big 12 in Football, it's a damn lie.

Historically? Ya its a joke of a comparison to say Big XII basketball rivals the ACC

The last few years it is a valid comparison :noidea:

That being said I think Barnes is unlikely and there are other guys I would rather have coach

Historically? Ya its a joke of a comparison to say Big XII basketball rivals the ACC

The last few years it is a valid comparison :noidea:

That being said I think Barnes is unlikely and there are other guys I would rather have coach

Expansion has watered down the ACC, no question, but Kansas wouldn't have won the ACC for the last decade straight, I know that.

Expansion has watered down the ACC, no question, but Kansas wouldn't have won the ACC for the last decade straight, I know that.

Kansas either won the regular season or tourney ten years in a row. Which is still impressive, but not as impressive

And its pretty much the same dominance Duke/UNC have had over ACC basketball

He won 18 or 19 games a season at Clemson and never finished better than 4th in-conference. I don't consider making the sweet sixteen at an ACC school to be a huge accomplishment worthy of acclaim nearly 20 years later.

And you have no clue how crappy Clemson was and has been historically. Never mind how many Final Fours we've managed to make in the last 52 years.

Kansas either won the regular season or tourney ten years in a row. Which is still impressive, but not as impressive

And its pretty much the same dominance Duke/UNC have had over ACC basketball
That's true to a point, but Maryland, Virginia, and Miami have won or shared the ACC regular season in the last 10 years, and along with UNC and Duke that's 5 separate teams of the 9 (or 10,11,12, and 13)

Didn't Barnes get food poisoning last time he played the Deacs in Winston?

If we have the money to hire Barnes, then that means we have the money to hire a far better coach.

Mack Brown one a title with Vince Young. Rick Barnes lost in the 2nd round with Kevin Durant.

I realize that. Mack Brown also has the pick of the litter of talent in the most talent-rich state in the nation. And he still fucks it up by either choosing the wrong players or turning it into a cluster mid-season. He should have been playing Alabama or USC in the BCS Championship Game every year.

But yeah, that 07 Longhorn team was stacked.

I think I'd rather have Russell Turner over Barnes

I realize that. Mack Brown also has the pick of the litter of talent in the most talent-rich state in the nation. And he still fucks it up by either choosing the wrong players or turning it into a cluster mid-season. He should have been playing Alabama or USC in the BCS Championship Game every year.

But yeah, that 07 Longhorn team was stacked.
Plenty of talent comes from Texas and Barnes can't recruit any of them - Barnes is a better recruiter in Canada than he is in Texas. There have been 35 Top 50/53 recruits from Texas since 2007 and Barnes has only gotten 4 of them. Texas is probably a top 10 state in producing college basketball recruits.
*per ESPN
2014: 5 of top 50 recruits are from Texas - none are signed with Texas
2013: 5 of top 50 recruits are from Texas - none signed with Texas
2012: 7 of top 51 recruits are from Texas - 1 signed with Texas (Ridley)
2011: 3 of top 51 recruits are from Texas - 1 signed with Texas (McClellan)
2010: 4 of top 50 recruits are from Texas - none signed with Texas
2009: 4 of top 53 recruits are from Texas - 1 signed with Texas (Shawn Williams)
2008: 3 of top 50 recruits are from Texas - none signed with Texas
2007: 4 of top 50 recruits are from Texas - 1 signed with Texas (Gary Johnson)

And saying that the Big 12 compares very favorable with the ACC in Basketball is like saying the ACC compares very favorably with the Big 12 in Football, it's a damn lie.

Tell you what pardner, in the last 5-10 yrs the Big 12 compares a helluva lot more favorably to the ACC in basketball then the ACC has done to the Big 12 in football.

Damn lie? Don't think so.....but to each to his own.....:confused:

Don't mess with Texas.

Buttheads in 10 gallon Butthead hats.

Second Tier hire. I wouldn't be blown away with it, but I'd be okay with it overall.

That's it exactly...4 years ago I would have been intrigued/excited. But back then we were not in the dire circumstances we are in now.

Desperate times call for desperate measures and all that.

Hell of a coach. Has a team with 6 freshmen and 6 Sophs competing with a top ten team down the stretch in the second round of the NCAA tourney. He's too old to bring to Wake, but we could certainly do a lot worse.

Back