• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

Because the portal opens December 5 and there are murmurs that SEC schools are sniffing around WF’s talent
Worst case scenario here is that he transfers to another school while also not playing in our bowl game. That would suck.

would be quite surprised if he went to UF. FWIW, his high school coach in Charlotte and in Charleston was Chad Grier. Chad's son Will was the starting QB at UF his fRS reshmen year. He got off to a good start and then tested positive for PEDs. Suspended for a year. Backstory is the coach McElwain (Muschamp actually was the coach who recruited him to UF) and the school weren't very supportive and he transferred to WVU. The Hartman's and Grier's have spent time together. That may factor in to any potentail offer for UF.

6 years is a very long time at one school. Would love to have him back, but if he wants to transfer, i support him. if he choses to leave Wake, i hope it is to pursue the NFL.

Worst case scenario here is that he transfers to another school while also not playing in our bowl game. That would suck.

It would. Hartman is a gamer and it would surprise me if he would sit out of a game.

would be quite surprised if he went to UF. FWIW, his high school coach in Charlotte and in Charleston was Chad Grier. Chad's son Will was the starting QB at UF his fRS reshmen year. He got off to a good start and then tested positive for PEDs. Suspended for a year. Backstory is the coach McElwain (Muschamp actually was the coach who recruited him to UF) and the school weren't very supportive and he transferred to WVU. The Hartman's and Grier's have spent time together. That may factor in to any potentail offer for UF.

6 years is a very long time at one school. Would love to have him back, but if he wants to transfer, i support him. if he choses to leave Wake, i hope it is to pursue the NFL.

UF is on their third coach after Will Grier was recruited.

Muschamp —> McElwain —> Mullen —> Napier.

There’s also a new athletic director since he left. I could very much see a scenario of the Griers saying “It didn’t work out but the school, facilities, etc. we’re top notch.”

what I’d do is follow the money. I think the league minimum is something like $400k. If he gets an NIL deal that nets him north of $100k guaranteed, I’d take the money and keep playing in college.

Making the NFL is obviously hard and less likely than making some decent coin in college.

what I’d do is follow the money. I think the league minimum is something like $400k. If he gets an NIL deal that nets him north of $100k guaranteed, I’d take the money and keep playing in college.

Making the NFL is obviously hard and less likely than making some decent coin in college.

I mean he’d get north of 100k at Wake, especially with the news today. He seems done with college though so we’ll see.

agree w following the money which makes that $100k estimate super puzzling.

the minimum a player can make for a season on practice squad (no nfl experience) is $207k.

minimum for roster is $750k.

agree w following the money which makes that $100k estimate super puzzling.

the minimum a player can make for a season on practice squad (no nfl experience) is $207k.

minimum for roster is $750k.
Not sure why that is puzzling. There’s no guarantee Sam makes a roster or a practice squad. If there were a guarantee, then yeah, go pro almost regardless of what you could get in college, as the likelihood you could stick in the league another year or two is higher.

Obviously, his decision depends on his own risk tolerance and how much cash is out there to stay in college. If he could clear $100k in college, for me at least, the choice is an easy one.

Good thread - it’s an interesting question. I think we all forget that when you’re actually in college you get pretty worn out by it all by the end. I can’t imagine being stuck at Wake for 6 years. I’d prolly give the NFL a go and with an eye towards whatever ”real” job is on the horizon. (Coaching? ”business”? Does anyone know his major?).

i guess it would be fun to go play at big State U, but he’s not going to be guaranteed a job anywhere he goes and does he really want to deal with the hassle? I wouldn’t - that option would surprise me the most.

I’d have stayed for a decade but I would not be surprised in the least if he were past ready to move on.

Serious question, does he have a girlfriend? That could impact things.

The prospect of showing up on the Gainesville campus this summer as the hot new QB who oh by the way is now loaded could impact things also. I don’t know what his priorities are.

FWIW, it's no coincidence that WF's big money athletic donors formed an NIL collective just before the December 5 transfer portal opened. The staff knows what is coming. WF is preparing to step up.
🤞

FWIW, it's no coincidence that WF's big money athletic donors formed an NIL collective just before the December 5 transfer portal opened. The staff knows what is coming. WF is preparing to step up.
I really hope you are correct. Still a bit skeptical but Wake does have some big money donors who are younger and probably see that NIL is the future. Not really something we can run from anymore if we want to stay competitive.

This seems best case to me. Meaningless bowls really are meaningless. What a great chance to use players who can actually help us going forward in games that actually matter.

This seems best case to me. Meaningless bowls really are meaningless. What a great chance to use players who can actually help us going forward in games that actually matter.

I agree if Hartman sets the career TD record against Duke and we don’t draw a high profile opponent. Same with Perry.

I hope this is accurate. Also, I don't think we have much choice if we want to be in the Top 20 conversation every year. Certainly don't have a choice if we want to sniff the CFP.

BTW, there’s basically no chance Hartman would start at Georgia next year. Way less of a chance than Newman had.
I would think he could start for Florida. They have had lots of QB problems and have plenty of NIL money.

Back