• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Samuel Japhet-Mathias

Our front court should be very good over the next 2-3 years.

The 2-3 are the positions that are most worrisome. The 1, 4, and 5 are pretty set. Unfortunately that's 40% of the minutes on the court (obvious Doofus is obvious).
The bad thing is that outside of a few teams, the majority of college (and pro) basketball has moved towards a guard/wing oriented game over a big man's game. Having skilled post players is a luxury but having skilled guards & wings is a must.

The bad thing is that outside of a few teams, the majority of college (and pro) basketball has moved towards a guard/wing oriented game over a big man's game. Having skilled post players is a luxury but having skilled guards & wings is a must.

Meh. It may be the new way of the pros, but anything can work in college if you do it right.

BB will always be a big man's game. Carolina dominates because of their size and the talent of their big men. Big men have to be developed but good post men will tend to dominate. The most hopeful thing at Wake is our size and the HOPE that DM can develop our young big men.

The best game a team can play is inside out. If you have dominant big men it causes the defense to collapse and leave three point shooters wide open on the perimeter. This is the way Danny is recruiting; trying to find strong, scoring big guys that can kick it out to good outside shooters if the defense collapses. It's a pick your poison scenario.
We just need three point shooters, which I don't think will be an issue next year but we'll see.

Not a hot take, but a buddy of mine's son played on Giles AAU team and won't shut up about this guy. He isn't a Wake fan but thinks SJM is very good.
Yeah, I'm not sure why people are dogging him based on that video. I'm with the group that sees soft hands, and good/great footwork. He's going to be pretty good.

We will see what Manning is made of

Moore and SJM are as good as you can get for project big men in need of great coaching development

We will see what Manning is made of

Moore and SJM are as good as you can get for project big men in need of great coaching development
I can think of dozens of big men with a fraction of the talent of either that would need great coaching to succeed. At this point I'm not sure what SJM needs to become dominant. All Moore seems to need is some stamina.

I think we should send them all to BIG MAN CAMP.

He seems like a guy that will need to get in elite shape to be elite, which is obviously doable (the elite shape part is doable). Would be fun rotating him and Moore out every 3 or 4 minutes for Manning, I would think. Moore has got to be the better rim defender, but allows us to play the same style defense if either guy is at the 5.

Back