• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Phil has been playing really well, but Stenson is unbelievable.
Was expecting the course to win today. Didn't happen.

Stenson is fun to watch hit the ball. Probably the best and most consistent ball striker out there. But I've never seen him putt like he did this week. He's normally a below average putter, and this week he was pouring it in.

Looks like it's the year for long deserving 1st time major winners.

Stenson is fun to watch hit the ball. Probably the best and most consistent ball striker out there. But I've never seen him putt like he did this week. He's normally a below average putter, and this week he was pouring it in.

Lee Westwood for the PGA!

Lee Westwood for the PGA!

Nah. I don't hate him or Sergio like I used to. But I'm still not a fan of either. Whereas I've always liked Stenson, and he's been as consistent a golfer as we've had over the last few years. How about Kucher?

I don't know if there is a better long iron/fairway wood player on the planet. I love how he just smashes the ball.

That has to be a pretty popular win out there. I don't know anyone who hates Stenson, although I personally thought his lofty world ranking was a bit undeserved the last couple years. He sure as heck deserves it now.

Nah. I don't hate him or Sergio like I used to. But I'm still not a fan of either. Whereas I've always liked Stenson, and he's been as consistent a golfer as we've had over the last few years. How about Kucher?

Not if it means we have to watch him "aw shucks" it around at the Ryder Cup.

I don't know if there is a better long iron/fairway wood player on the planet. I love how he just smashes the ball.

That has to be a pretty popular win out there. I don't know anyone who hates Stenson, although I personally thought his lofty world ranking was a bit undeserved the last couple years. He sure as heck deserves it now.

He had a downright absurd stretch during the two months leading up to his fedex cup win, if I recall correctly. Something like a 2nd and 3rd in the open and pga coupled with both a playoff and tour championship win. Likable guy for sure, too. Great win for a deserving player.

Bill Haas cost himself a chance to move way up the Ryder Cup points list as well. With double points, JB Holmes finished 3rd and moved from 12th to 5th. Bill moved from 14th to 13th. He probably has a good shot at a pick right now but he will need some strong finishes over the next month to solidify that.

Bill Haas cost himself a chance to move way up the Ryder Cup points list as well. With double points, JB Holmes finished 3rd and moved from 12th to 5th. Bill moved from 14th to 13th. He probably has a good shot at a pick right now but he will need some strong finishes over the next month to solidify that.

Wasn't he pretty crappy in the last Ryder Cup? No matter what Fowler needs to make the team. He was dynamite in 2010 even though he has been out of form.

Wasn't he pretty crappy in the last Ryder Cup? No matter what Fowler needs to make the team. He was dynamite in 2010 even though he has been out of form.

Rickie Fowler has never won a full point in a Ryder Cup match.

The list of current US players eligible for this Ryder Cup who have been "dynamite" in past editions is pretty short. We've been getting our teeth kicked in for way too long in that event.

How much has equipment effected the game? Was watching the Golf Channel's replay of the 1991 PGA Championship that Daly won, they showed that he led the tour in driving distance that year with an average of 289.9 yards. In 2016 that would rank 101st in driving distance and John Daly is leading the Champions Tour this year in driving distance at 303.5. So, 25 years older, fat and out of shape (Daly was actually pretty trim in 1991), John Daly averages 13.6 yards longer off tee. Makes you wonder how much more the manufacturers can push the limits of the ball, clubheads and shafts, and if at some point the governing bodies will really have to step in and limit the technology.

Last edited:
Very good point. My son plays HS golf and lots of junior tournaments here in Cali, and these kids absolutely DESTROY the golf ball. Their swings are all coil and release. The teaching pros out here basically teach them distance...then try to reign it in a bit.

How much has equipment effected the game? Was watching the Golf Channel's replay of the 1991 PGA Championship that Daly won, they showed that he lead the tour in driving distance that year with an average of 289.9 yards. In 2016 that would rank 101st in driving distance and John Daly is leading the Champions Tour this year in driving distance at 303.5. So, 25 years older, fat and out of shape (Daly was actually pretty trim in 1991), John Daly averages 13.6 yards longer off tee. Makes you wonder how much more the manufacturers can push the limits of the ball, clubheads and shafts, and if at some point the governing bodies will really have to step in and limit the technology.

I think I've posted this before, but I'll share with you an experience I had a few years ago that really demonstrated how equipment has changed the game. I played a round at the course I grew up playing with my Dad. I hadn't played the course in over 25 years. There is a par five on the course where I remember it was very typical for me to hit driver, five wood to lay up to my wedge. The day I played it I hit driver, seven iron to get to the same spot.

I think I've posted this before, but I'll share with you an experience I had a few years ago that really demonstrated how equipment has changed the game. I played a round at the course I grew up playing with my Dad. I hadn't played the course in over 25 years. There is a par five on the course where I remember it was very typical for me to hit driver, five wood to lay up to my wedge. The day I played it I hit driver, seven iron to get to the same spot.

Yeah, I know. I played Saturday and on a par 5 (short par 5, 435 yards) I hit driver- 54 degree gap wedge for a 5 foot eagle putt (missed the damn thing). 20 years ago it would've been a driver-mid iron for me.

Very good point. My son plays HS golf and lots of junior tournaments here in Cali, and these kids absolutely DESTROY the golf ball. Their swings are all coil and release. The teaching pros out here basically teach them distance...then try to reign it in a bit.

I think I've read that was the approach Jack Grout took with Jack Nicklaus, he taught him how to really hit out there and then taught him how to control it. His reasoning was it was more fun for young golfers to learn how to hit it far first, then learn about control and the short game.

Back