• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I mean the HGH thing certainly wouldn't surprise me. We'll see what the excuses are when no one goes to the next Olympics either.

Some sushi-borne pathogen no doubt.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'd really like to see Mongomerie play well this week.

No one is playing in the Olympics because golfers are, out of necessity, about as selfish as you can get. They were never going to take an additional week out of a ridiculously busy end of season schedule and play for free in South America. Zika and safety just became the best way to get out of it with minimal backlash.

Agree with Tin Cup. Although you see very few women pulling out. But this fits their schedule much easier than it does the men's. The men have 3 summer majors, then the playoff series and then the Ryder Cup (which is way more important for country than the Olympics). Whereas after the US and British Opens, the women only have the Evian in Sept and then a smaller playoff thing in Oct. And if you're not from the US, and you're playing on the PGA tour, and you're ranked in the 100-200 range, you face the decision of Olympics v. potentially losing that top 125 status.

Also saw some of Rory's comments. I thought he was just being honest when talking about why he got into golf, and I wasn't offended. 1 of the things I've always appreciated about him is his honesty in answering difficult questions, as opposed to Tiger's canned answers after putting everything through his filter. I didn't hear Rory insinuate everyone was on HGH, though. What did he say?

No one is playing in the Olympics because golfers are, out of necessity, about as selfish as you can get. They were never going to take an additional week out of a ridiculously busy end of season schedule and play for free in South America. Zika and safety just became the best way to get out of it with minimal backlash.

I heard a great take from Dennis Paulson on the radio today. How many golfers will WD in the middle of the event once it's clear they won't win, and there is zero difference between 4th place and a WD or DFL? No prize money. The only thing to keep them around will be world ranking points in an event that is going to have a weak field.

I saw that too. I think he's developed a big chip on his shoulder over the last year after being overtaken by Spieth, Day and Johnson at least for a short period of time.

I think he's either gonna blow away the field or MC this week after that pc

Agree with Tin Cup. Although you see very few women pulling out. But this fits their schedule much easier than it does the men's. The men have 3 summer majors, then the playoff series and then the Ryder Cup (which is way more important for country than the Olympics). Whereas after the US and British Opens, the women only have the Evian in Sept and then a smaller playoff thing in Oct. And if you're not from the US, and you're playing on the PGA tour, and you're ranked in the 100-200 range, you face the decision of Olympics v. potentially losing that top 125 status.

Also saw some of Rory's comments. I thought he was just being honest when talking about why he got into golf, and I wasn't offended. 1 of the things I've always appreciated about him is his honesty in answering difficult questions, as opposed to Tiger's canned answers after putting everything through his filter. I didn't hear Rory insinuate everyone was on HGH, though. What did he say?
He said that the way the PGA drug tests right now he and his fellow golfers can use HGH and never have any issues passing a drug test. Then he said that if they want golfers to play in the olympics the PGA needs to align their drug testing policies more closely to the Olympic drug testing policies.

He said that the way the PGA drug tests right now he and his fellow golfers can use HGH and never have any issues passing a drug test. Then he said that if they want golfers to play in the olympics the PGA needs to align their drug testing policies more closely to the Olympic drug testing policies.

Yeah, I saw some more extended comments from him on Live From last night. On the Olympics, it really appears that he just doesn't believe golf should be an Olympic sport. I don't really agree with him, although I acknowledge there is a big difference between traditional Olympic sports and sports like basketball, golf and soccer where you see many of the greats not showing up. And I agree with him on HGH and have been saying this for a while. Golf brought in drug testing out of similar concerns that baseball had - mainly that people taking steroid type stuff or HGH might be hitting the ball further. But the test they're doing now will pick up recreational drugs like pot and coke that don't help player performance, and it won't pick up HGH because it's a urine test as opposed to a blood test. I recognize blood tests are more invasive, but that's what you've gotta do if you're going to test for folks who are getting bigger and stronger unnaturally.

Strong comments from Rory on both topics. But I do like that he's honest and speaks his mind, whereas everyone else is dancing around the Olympic topic, conveniently blaming zika.

I don't mind golf as an Olympic sport - just make it more Olympic. Take 2 pros and the top two ranked amateurs. Play a Ryder Cup style point system. The Olympics is one of the few world stages where you could mix ams and pros. The fact that the current setup has no team aspect is ridiculous.

I don't mind golf as an Olympic sport - just make it more Olympic. Take 2 pros and the top two ranked amateurs. Play a Ryder Cup style point system. The Olympics is one of the few world stages where you could mix ams and pros. The fact that the current setup has no team aspect is ridiculous.

Agree with the team concept completely and would love to see some Ams.

I mean make it captains choice for fucks sake.

Agreed that the biggest failure of Olympic golf is not having a team aspect to it. That was a no brainer that they totally whiffed on.

Allow three Mulligans per round with Modified Stableford Scoring and alternate partners after every second round.

Take a stroke off your score for every beer you drink while on the course?

Can't drink the water, might as well drink some beer

Agreed that the biggest failure of Olympic golf is not having a team aspect to it. That was a no brainer that they totally whiffed on.

Exactly. Otherwise we have another stroke play event. No different than what we see every week of the PGA/Euro season.
Make it Ryder Cup type format or some team aspect. Anything besides straight up stroke play. It's just not different enough to be interesting

Agree completely on stroke play and the team aspects. Either do it the way the NCAAs do the college tourney, or even better, have no individual gold. Do it like an expanded version of the International thing the LPGA does in non-Solheim years and have 16, 24 or 32 teams like they did the Euro soccer tournament. As messed up as everything is about this Olympics in Rio, the golf format just adds insult to injury.

I couldn't possibly agree more with this. They missed a great opportunity to create a unique team event.

Or how about using the NCAA championship format with 3 man teams instead of 5 per side.

Who would be your 3 man captain's choice team be for the US? A team of DJ, Bubba and Spieth would be unbeatable.

DJ and Bubba are a little redundant and neither are great putters. Gotta take Spieth for his putter but he doesn't hit that many fairways.

I'd keep DJ and Spieth but dump Bubba in favor of a very straight driver. Maybe Kuchar - consistent, solid in every aspect, drives it straight. Good foundation guy.

DJ and Bubba are a little redundant and neither are great putters. Gotta take Spieth for his putter but he doesn't hit that many fairways.

I'd keep DJ and Spieth but dump Bubba in favor of a very straight driver. Maybe Kuchar - consistent, solid in every aspect, drives it straight. Good foundation guy.

I like it. I could live with Steve Stricker as well since he's still a next level putter.

Back