• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Watched a little of the Irish Open at Portstewart this morning over breakfast. Has a Ballybunion kinda feel to it with a seaside course with a lot of fairways winding between large mounds with tall grass. Definitely going to watch the last 2 rounds. I like the Scottish courses on the Open rota, but some of the Irish courses like Ballybunion, Portrush, County Down and Portstewart are even more attractive visually.

Watched a little of the Irish Open at Portstewart this morning over breakfast. Has a Ballybunion kinda feel to it with a seaside course with a lot of fairways winding between large mounds with tall grass. Definitely going to watch the last 2 rounds. I like the Scottish courses on the Open rota, but some of the Irish courses like Ballybunion, Portrush, County Down and Portstewart are even more attractive visually.

Much cheaper to go play too.

Did the Southwest Ireland trip. Pureeeeeeee and for 2-3k less than scotland.

Watched more of the Irish this a.m. Rory missed the cut. Was hitting it fine, but his short game was woeful. Couldn't hit a single putt and couldn't chip or pitch it inside 10'. Rahm, OTOH, is back to being a beast and is 1 off Im's lead.

Much cheaper to go play too.

Did the Southwest Ireland trip. Pureeeeeeee and for 2-3k less than scotland.

On the subject of links golf trips, I'm 9 days away from departing on one that I pulled together myself over the last 18 months. #humblebrag

8 guys playing the following:
North Berwick
Muirfield (36)
Gullane #1
Old Course (via ballot/starter stand by)
New Course
Castle Course
Jubilee Course
Carnoustie
Gleneagles Centenary (the Ryder Cup Course)

Didn't get advance tee times on the Old Course via the lottery, so we will be doing the daily ballot or getting walk up times via the starter.

Staying in a modest inn in N. Berwick for 3 days, then a house in St. Andrews for a week.

Got a minibus and driver for all the transportation.

Just like his twitter game.

While Rory shouldn't have pressed send, I have a lot more of a problem with Elkington, who is just being a dick. Rory has been injured, hasn't played many competitive rounds and has been changing putters. Clearly, he's not at the top of his game this year. But he's 28, already has 4 majors and will likely bag some more majors. Elk has no business taking pot shots from Australia saying Rory has no desire for the game when he can't count past 1.

Didn't know that. Houston is a fine city, with the exceptions of zoning and Elkington.

On the subject of links golf trips, I'm 9 days away from departing on one that I pulled together myself over the last 18 months. #humblebrag

North Berwick
Muirfield (36)
Gullane #1
New Course
Castle Course
Jubilee Course
Carnoustie

Didn't get advance tee times on the Old Course via the lottery, so we will be doing the daily ballot or getting walk up times via the starter.

Staying in a modest inn in N. Berwick for 3 days, then a house in St. Andrews for a week.

Will you be taking any last minute fill-ins in case one of your 8 has to drop out for some reason?
Sounds like a great trip.

North Berwick
Muirfield (36)
Gullane #1
New Course
Castle Course
Jubilee Course
Carnoustie

Get in line at the starter's shack at The Old Course by 3:00 AM. Seriously.

Looks like a great trip. This sounds like heresy to even think it, but IMO, The New Course is a better golf course than The Old Course. Certainly more difficult.

North Berwick
Muirfield (36)
Gullane #1
New Course
Castle Course
Jubilee Course
Carnoustie

Going to be a blast!
Super excited to be going. And LK pulled this thing together on an amazing deal. Half what a tour company would charge. 👍

North Berwick
Muirfield (36)
Gullane #1
New Course
Castle Course
Jubilee Course
Carnoustie

1) What are the bets?
2) No offense to the earlier poster, but the New Course being a better tack than the Old Course is crazy town.
3) I got on the Old Course twice and showed up a little after 5am. But with 8 guys... 3am might be right if you want to have any shot at playing together.
4) No Kingsbarns? (no offense, just curious)
5) Extremely jealous.

1) What are the bets?
2) No offense to the earlier poster, but the New Course being a better tack than the Old Course is crazy town.
3) I got on the Old Course twice and showed up a little after 5am. But with 8 guys... 3am might be right if you want to have any shot at playing together.
5) Extremely jealous.

"Better" is obviously subjective. I've played the Old three times and the New five (much easier to get on). If I had to play to my handicap to win a bet, I'd pick the Old over the New any day. And the Jubilee Course might be more the most difficult of the three.

Rahm is darned impressive, with or without the potential Lexi ruling. Too bad Im is about to throw away an Open spot on the last hole after his "oh fuck" tee shot.

so whats the deal with the side marking? folks just trying to get the ball a bit closer?

1) What are the bets?
5) Extremely jealous.

Probably a standard 2 pound nassau with 2 man teams.

Re: Kingsbarns - Had a budget in mind and Muirfield was really pricey, so didn't want to add on a $300 round. Left 2 days open in trip for trying to get extra shots at Old Course, and if anyone wants to try Kingsbarns they can. A bunch of us played it 4 years ago and it was underwhelming for the price, but Im sure a 2nd playing could change that.

I got on the old as a walk up at 2pm on a Saturday once. We know we won't get on as foursomes and some guys are content to just roll the dice on the daily ballot. Myself, Ill be out there camping once or twice.

so whats the deal with the side marking? folks just trying to get the ball a bit closer?

In this case, I believe it was totally unintentional. This stuff always happens from a foot away. A distance where most folks, and especially tour professionals, don't need any help. So don't think it's anyone trying to get an advantage. He was in the process of blitzing the field. He was just trying to get out of the way of his playing partner and because it was so close he got a little sloppy.

Back