• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season Long College Basketball Thread

There's no such thing as a #hothand

Tatum is virtually unguardable. He is 6'8, can handle, drive and shoot.

He's shooting less than 45% from the field, so at least some guys are doing a decent job of guarding him.

Duke has been playing much better since K returned and showed these guys some tough love. Not sure the same would not help the Deacs-- play Defense or sit down.

Duke was morphing into a good team even before K got back on the bench. Their defensive approach they used last night against UVa was the same one they used against us and it works very well for them against many teams--UNC included. They put a soft press on teams and make them use some of the shot clock to both get it across mid-court and also into their offensive set. Then the teams are almost panicking to get even a shot off. UVa, which lacks quality seasoned offense since Brogden, Gill & Tobey are all gone, now have only Perrantes and he is forcing the issue instead of letting "Man-Bob Guy" & Diakite get more in the flow. They also are giving up 2nd half leads on D so they seemingly don't have their usual depth to play their style of bump & grind on both ends. They may not make the 2nd week of the NCAA's.

All that said, Duke is hitting their stride and finding themselves with folks getting healthy, including Coach K, and they have 3 offensive loads to stop in Kennard, Allen and Tatum and all the freshmen are finding their niche. I can see them getting to the 3rd week of the NCAA's. [with Nova, Zags & somebody from the PAC-12]

Duke was morphing into a good team even before K got back on the bench. Their defensive approach they used last night against UVa was the same one they used against us and it works very well for them against many teams--UNC included. They put a soft press on teams and make them use some of the shot clock to both get it across mid-court and also into their offensive set. Then the teams are almost panicking to get even a shot off. UVa, which lacks quality seasoned offense since Brogden, Gill & Tobey are all gone, now have only Perrantes and he is forcing the issue instead of letting "Man-Bob Guy" & Diakite get more in the flow. They also are giving up 2nd half leads on D so they seemingly don't have their usual depth to play their style of bump & grind on both ends. They may not make the 2nd week of the NCAA's.

All that said, Duke is hitting their stride and finding themselves with folks getting healthy, including Coach K, and they have 3 offensive loads to stop in Kennard, Allen and Tatum and all the freshmen are finding their niche. I can see them getting to the 3rd week of the NCAA's. [with Nova, Zags & somebody from the PAC-12]

Yeah, holding us to 83 points was a really stellar defensive effort.

Meh, his handle isn't anything special. Not an exceptional shooter. Takes a lot of bad shots. Only an above average athlete, nothing special. Not a good passer. He does have length, I'll give you that (gaybone...).

Yeah. Typical Duke journeyman. o/u on All-Star selections from this current Duke roster? I'll say 1.5.

Yeah, holding us to 83 points was a really stellar defensive effort.

The job was started in the 2nd half when they started clamping down on us, then in the last 5 minutes they moved their defense into a heavy fronting of Collins who couldn't even touch the basketball after going 7-10 from the field and getting 20 points. They made our guards panic greatly by getting into the press and trying to force the action. And just in case you haven't noticed Sig, the Dookies have won 6 in a row including games @ Wake, @ ND & @ UVa. So yes, what they are now doing is working tremendously well [but otherwise you made an astute observation]

The total number of All-Star game appearances total, or the number of Duke players who make an All-Star game in their career?

The Pac-12 is trash. UCLA may sneak into the Final Four, but I'd pick them more likely to get knocked out in the first weekend with their weak defense.

That conference is more likely to have nobody reach the Sweet 16 than someone make the Final Four IMO.

The total number of All-Star game appearances total, or the number of Duke players who make an All-Star game in their career?

Appearances total. I could see Kennard landing in the right spot and having a Korver like magical season. That plus the combined odds of the rest of them having one great season pushes the line to 1.5.

There are other factors to consider as well. Duke has about 20 active NBA players and only two have ever made an All-Star team. The All-Star rosters seem very very young and it's hard to imagine a lot of those guys losing their spots as they get older. This isn't the early 90s with a bunch of aging stars playing. Of the top of my head, there are maybe 5 current All-Stars in their 30s. Lebron, Gasol, Carmelo, Millsap, and maybe Lowry. 8-10 of the younger guys can book an All-Star appearance for the next 5-8 years. Hell, Lebron might too.

The Pac-12 is trash. UCLA may sneak into the Final Four, but I'd pick them more likely to get knocked out in the first weekend with their weak defense.

That conference is more likely to have nobody reach the Sweet 16 than someone make the Final Four IMO.

P12 is going to be an interesting case come the tournament. If you listen to the "experts" you would think they have potential to getting 3 teams in the Final Four. The computers would say they are getting zero. Of those 3 teams, UCLA's win @ Rupp is the only exciting win besides the wins versus each other. Oregon certainly passes the eye test, but their success is largely based off the huge home court advantage.

Appearances total. I could see Kennard landing in the right spot and having a Korver like magical season. That plus the combined odds of the rest of them having one great season pushes the line to 1.5.

There are other factors to consider as well. Duke has about 20 active NBA players and only two have ever made an All-Star team. The All-Star rosters seem very very young and it's hard to imagine a lot of those guys losing their spots as they get older. This isn't the early 90s with a bunch of aging stars playing. Of the top of my head, there are maybe 5 current All-Stars in their 30s. Lebron, Gasol, Carmelo, Millsap, and maybe Lowry. 8-10 of the younger guys can book an All-Star appearance for the next 5-8 years. Hell, Lebron might too.

I would take the over. I think Tatum could make multiple ones by himself quite frankly.

Not sure if Giles will ever get healthy again, so he's tough to tell right now.

Based on what we know about Allen and Jeffeson I think it's safe to say that neither will make one.

Jackson and Bolden are too early to call right now, but odds are they won't.

It really rides on Tatum and maybe Kennard.

P12 is going to be an interesting case come the tournament. If you listen to the "experts" you would think they have potential to getting 3 teams in the Final Four. The computers would say they are getting zero. Of those 3 teams, UCLA's win @ Rupp is the only exciting win besides the wins versus each other. Oregon certainly passes the eye test, but their success is largely based off the huge home court advantage.

UCLA can't play a damn bit of defense. We are ranked ahead of them right now in defensive efficiency according to KenPom. That's going to be their downfall

We should put Bilas in to dry-hump Allen up and down the floor for the first 2 minutes tomorrow. Would be the ultimate irony.

The East All star team will have plenty of new faces over the next 5-8 years. Giannis, Kyrie, George, Wall, and Kemba are the only All-Stars in the east under age 27. Giannis and George and Kyrie (based on fan votes) are the only three I'm confident will make it consistently for the next 5+ years. Butler is 27 and you could probably talk me into putting him with that group.

Out west the under 27 group consists of Davis, Kawhi, Boogie, Draymond, and Hayward. The first three are locks for a while, Draymond is for as long as the Dubs stay together. Of the older guys KD, Harden and Bestbrook are probably locks for 5+ years as well. I'll put Steph in there as well since even if he drops off by then (He will be pushing 34 in 2022) he will get a few years of Kobe treatment from the fans.

Purdue has an insane front court.

Caleb Swanigan is a monster (and thanks again, Rusty, for being incompetent and letting Isaac Haas walk).

should we pull for Pitt to beat FSU? It would strengthen our RPI right if we were to beat them wednesday I'd assume

So Pitt is playing the best they've played going into our game. Great.

There were 3 really good games I was going back and forth on at 1:00 = ours, Lville edging Tech and Kansas edging Baylor. Not overly interested in tonight's UVA/UNC game - think Carolina will handle UVA easily.

Bennett has some work to do. Brogdon, Anderson, Harris, etc. ain't walking through that door.

Back