• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season Long College Basketball Thread

A dice turning up seven straight times the same way is pretty weird

Sure. But low probability events are common in college basketball because there are so many events.

Well, we couldn't beat Duke in Winston when they were struggling.

Wonder how we'll do in Durham now that they are on a roll.

I tend to agree. It isn't like we are going to sneak up on them... The game in Winston wasn't all that long ago.

Perhaps a nice 30+ point ass-kicking would allow everyone around here to start to get excited for the NIT.

It's weird that they are rated as 16th (prior to loss) most efficient offense as they don't pass that eye test.

I've been saying this all year. This is a fairly nice UVA team but not a special UVA team. Or as my UVA friend who I go to the games with said last night - this is what happens when a team with college kids plays a team with future NBA kids. The last few years UVA has had talented guards and wings like Harris, Brogdon and Anderson who were NBA talents. Add to that athletic bigs like Scott, Mitchell, Atkins and Gill. That combination provided for a suffocating defense and a solid halfcourt O that could routinely get off high quality shots late in the shot clock. None of their current guards or wings are going to sniff the NBA, and the only athletic bigs they have are Wilkins and Diakite. I love Wilkins, but Diakite doesn't yet possess a high basketball IQ. Salt is a bit of a stiff but is athletic enough and has made himself serviceable. Reuter is a complete stiff whose vertical leap is less than Phil Mickelson's. WhyTF did Bennett offer him a ship? Bennett has 2 freshmen bigs he redshirted. They better have some athleticism, or UVA is going to suck in 2 years. They'll get through next year because they have enough decent juniors, and both Guy and Jerome have some talent, at least on the offensive end. This team is disciplined enough on D to take care of business on a regular basis against the ACC also rans like us, Clemson, GT.... But they have a serious problem when they're facing more talented teams.

All of that said, Duke is playing much better as a team than they were a month or 2 ago, especially on D. To the point where I could see them, along with FSU, Lville and UNC, making a deep tourney run.

I've been saying this all year. This is a fairly nice UVA team but not a special UVA team. Or as my UVA friend who I go to the games with said last night - this is what happens when a team with college kids plays a team with future NBA kids. The last few years UVA has had talented guards and wings like Harris, Brogdon and Anderson who were NBA talents. Add to that athletic bigs like Scott, Mitchell, Atkins and Gill. That combination provided for a suffocating defense and a solid halfcourt O that could routinely get off high quality shots late in the shot clock. None of their current guards or wings are going to sniff the NBA, and the only athletic bigs they have are Wilkins and Diakite. I love Wilkins, but Diakite doesn't yet possess a high basketball IQ. Salt is a bit of a stiff but is athletic enough and has made himself serviceable. Reuter is a complete stiff whose vertical leap is less than Phil Mickelson's. WhyTF did Bennett offer him a ship? Bennett has 2 freshmen bigs he redshirted. They better have some athleticism, or UVA is going to suck in 2 years. They'll get through next year because they have enough decent juniors, and both Guy and Jerome have some talent, at least on the offensive end. This team is disciplined enough on D to take care of business on a regular basis against the ACC also rans like us, Clemson, GT.... But they have a serious problem when they're facing more talented teams.

All of that said, Duke is playing much better as a team than they were a month or 2 ago, especially on D. To the point where I could see them, along with FSU, Lville and UNC, making a deep tourney run.

Duke has been playing much better since K returned and showed these guys some tough love. Not sure the same would not help the Deacs-- play Defense or sit down.

Duke has been playing much better since K returned and showed these guys some tough love. Not sure the same would not help the Deacs-- play Defense or sit down.

You have to have to have the players to play D. Not all players can play D. You have to play to the strengths of your team.

I don't know about tough love or whatever. I'm just saying they look way better than they did in Dec-Jan. As for our team, if you took a play D or sit stance, could you even put 5 players on the court?

Edited to add that there was an interesting offcourt moment from last night's game. I sit in the corner where the opposing team comes in. The UVA orthopedic docs sit in the front of that section, and 1 of them always accompanies an injured player to the locker room. At halftime, Ratface paused to engage in a heated argument with 1 of those docs - lasted 10-15 seconds. That's the 2nd time he's had an incident there in recent years. He went apeshite like 3-4 years ago when the UVA fans were storming the court. The cops and yellow vested folks had halted the Duke exit during the rush - pretty obviously for everyone's safety - but Ratface berated the cops and yellow vested folks. I'll see if I can find out what that argument last night was about.

Last edited:
It's almost as if Duke got healthy and has 10 McDonald's All-Americans and 3-4 guys who will go in the First Round this year.

Nah, that's not it. In fact, there is a story on ESPN.com (one of many on Duke, actually) that has the sub-headline of: "While Duke still hasn't lived up to its preseason hype, the Blue Devils are finding ways to win without relying on their stars."

Which is hilarious because they only play 6-7 guys each game and they are all big time recruits. There are "stars" on the bench that never see the floor.

Maybe last night, K discovered that no one playing college basketball (other than possibly Josh Jackson) can defend Jason Tatum. I have no idea why Tatum hasn't been the star of Duke. He is totally unguardable in the ACC.

Agree as to Tatum. UVA was determined not to be beaten by Kennard and the serial tripper. They had a few different guards guarding Tatum, but none of them were near his size and couldn't come close to taking away his air space. Maybe Jackson or someone on Lville or FSU is long and athletic enough to hang with him.

It's almost as if Duke got healthy and has 10 McDonald's All-Americans and 3-4 guys who will go in the First Round this year.

I don't want to do this research so I'll ask: is this hyperbole, or do they really have 10 on the roster? Not nitpicking if it's hyperbole. They are obviously more talented than every team they face.

Maybe last night, K discovered that no one playing college basketball (other than possibly Josh Jackson) can defend Jason Tatum. I have no idea why Tatum hasn't been the star of Duke. He is totally unguardable in the ACC.
Meh, Tatum's nothing special. He had the #hothand last night, but he isn't all that good.

I don't want to do this research so I'll ask: is this hyperbole, or do they really have 10 on the roster? Not nitpicking if it's hyperbole. They are obviously more talented than every team they face.

Tatum
Giles
Jackson
Bolden
Kennard
Jeter
Allen
Jones

They have 8 I believe, and literally every guy who plays meaningful minutes except for Amile Jefferson (22nd in his class).

Tatum
Giles
Jackson
Bolden
Kennard
Jeter
Allen
Jones

They have 8 I believe, and literally every guy who plays meaningful minutes except for Amile Jefferson (22nd in his class).

Jefferson was definitely a McD AA. State fans thought they had a great shot with him and had the belief that they were going to end up with 4 McD AA's during that recruiting year.

Meh, Tatum's nothing special. He had the #hothand last night, but he isn't all that good.

There's no such thing as a #hothand

Tatum is virtually unguardable. He is 6'8, can handle, drive and shoot.

Jefferson was definitely a McD AA. State fans thought they had a great shot with him and had the belief that they were going to end up with 4 McD AA's during that recruiting year.

Ah, you're right...didn't go far enough back because he was from 2012.

So everybody that plays is a McDonalds AA. They have 9 on their roster.

There's no such thing as a #hothand

Tatum is virtually unguardable. He is 6'8, can handle, drive and shoot.
Meh, his handle isn't anything special. Not an exceptional shooter. Takes a lot of bad shots. Only an above average athlete, nothing special. Not a good passer. He does have length, I'll give you that (gaybone...).

Back