• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long College football thread

Top 5 in the CFP rankings probably won't change this week.

Let's say Clemson and Bama win next week.
1. Clemson
2. Bama
3. OU
4. MSU/Iowa winner

CFP Semis...
Orange: Clemson-MSU/Iowa
Cotton: Bama-OU

Other New Years 6 bowls...
Rose gets Pac12 champ Stanford (assuming they win) and MSU/Iowa loser. Sugar gets an SEC team - runner-up Florida. Houston gets the Group of 5 spot and goes to the Fiesta. That leaves 4 at large spots (Peach, Peach, Sugar, and Fiesta). tOSU, ND, FSU, TCU.
Rose: Stanford-MSU/Iowa
Sugar: Florida-Ohio State
Peach: FSU-ND
Fiesta: TCU-Houston

A Clemson loss changes a lot.
tOSU is highest ranked 1-loss team now. But who have they beat? 1 good win vs. Michigan.
Clemson can argue they should still go in over tOSU with wins over ND and FSU.
But then how do you put Clemson in over UNC with UNC having just beat Clemson and winning ACCCG?
Does a 2-loss Pac12 champ Stanford jump all 3 with wins over ND, USC (twice) and UCLA?

Sugar won't have an at-large spot, it will always be SEC vs. Big 12 in non-semifinal years, so Florida (or whoever they determine is the 2nd highest ranked SEC team) will play the 2nd highest ranked Big 12 team if Oklahoma makes the playoff (either Baylor or Oklahoma State, outside shot at TCU).

If it's OU/Bama in the #2 versus #3 game, the biggest question is whether this woman will be attendance.

It would be UNC vs. Ohio State (or I guess Clemson w/ 1 loss). I really don't know if they would go with UNC or Ohio State

Think it would be a close call between tOSU and UNC assuming an ACCCG upset. UNC would have the best win beating #1 Clemson. UNC also lost the opener, and then would've won 12 straight (a stat that supposedly helped tOSU get in last year). Also, think that committee would hate the idea of putting two teams in from one conference (the Big 10) as the winner of the Iowa/MSU game is in for sure. The essential purpose of the new playoff is to have 4 of 5 power conferences participate each year.

If UNC beats Clemson, they are in. I don't see any way the committee takes a Power 5 team that didn't even make their conference championship game over a one loss team that won theirs.

They're not giving any one conference two teams, unless it's blatantly obvious that they both belong. They'd take UNC over Ohio State.

Think it would be a close call between tOSU and UNC assuming an ACCCG upset. UNC would have the best win beating #1 Clemson. UNC also lost the opener, and then would've won 12 straight (a stat that supposedly helped tOSU get in last year). Also, think that committee would hate the idea of putting two teams in from one conference (the Big 10) as the winner of the Iowa/MSU game is in for sure. The essential purpose of the new playoff is to have 4 of 5 power conferences participate each year.

More importantly UNC has a large fan base and they'll travel well so money-wise they aren't sacrificing a lot if they chose UNC over Ohio St. If we were in the same spot as UNC, we'd have zero shot at leapfrogging Ohio St.

More importantly UNC has a large fan base and they'll travel well so money-wise they aren't sacrificing a lot if they chose UNC over Ohio St. If we were in the same spot as UNC, we'd have zero shot at leapfrogging Ohio St.

+1

If we were in the same spot as UNC, Big Foot would have been found, the Second Coming would have happened, and we'd be communicating with life on other planets.

I understand the case for UNC, but Ohio St has a pretty compelling case, maybe a better one. Defending champs should get the benefit of the doubt in close calls. It's bad luck that they don't get into the B10 championship with one loss - unlike UNC. Their very close loss to Michigan St (a very good team) was the first time they lost in 23 games. While Carolina's loss was at the beginning of the year, it was to a bad team. Most importantly, I think if people had to pick a winner in a matchup of those two teams, a large majority would pick Ohio St. It would be a close call.

I understand the case for UNC, but Ohio St has a pretty compelling case, maybe a better one. Defending champs should get the benefit of the doubt in close calls. It's bad luck that they don't get into the B10 championship with one loss - unlike UNC. Their very close loss to Michigan St (a very good team) was the first time they lost in 23 games. While Carolina's loss was at the beginning of the year, it was to a bad team. Most importantly, I think if people had to pick a winner in a matchup of those two teams, a large majority would pick Ohio St. It would be a close call.

If UNC beats Clemson, they ARE this year's OSU. Both lost to bad teams in their opener (you could definitely argue that OSU lost to a worse team than UNC did), both won out the rest of the way, and then both won their conference championship game. UNC will likely not beat Clemson as badly as OSU beat Wiscy, but they will have beaten a better team- the number one ranked team.

This from someone who would rather root for the Taliban than the Tarheels, but if UNC wins, they are in.

Given the committee's stated value on conference championships, a 1-loss Ohio State vs. a 1-loss UNC is a no-brainer. And it's not bad luck that Ohio State gets to watch next Saturday with the rest of us. That's a strange way to describe it. Bad luck (i.e. incompetence by someone outside of their control) is what happened to Michigan State at Nebraska.

I think the more interested discussion is what the committee will do if Florida and Stanford win their games next weekend, in which case I think Stanford and OSU are up next. Stanford will have 1 more loss than Ohio State, and both of those losses are worse than the Buckeyes', but they'll also have a trophy - again considering the committee's stated preference for conference champions.

Given the committee's stated value on conference championships, a 1-loss Ohio State vs. a 1-loss UNC is a no-brainer. And it's not bad luck that Ohio State gets to watch next Saturday with the rest of us. That's a strange way to describe it. Bad luck (i.e. incompetence by someone outside of their control) is what happened to Michigan State at Nebraska.

I think the more interested discussion is what the committee will do if Florida and Stanford win their games next weekend, in which case I think Stanford and OSU are up next. Stanford will have 1 more loss than Ohio State, and both of those losses are worse than the Buckeyes', but they'll also have a trophy - again considering the committee's stated preference for conference champions.

If Florida were to win, chaos ensues. But a Stanford win would create an interesting situation. Would the committee consider a one-loss OSU team to be "equivocally better" than a two-loss Pac 12 conference champion?

Back