• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long College football thread

Tarholes #10 in just released playoff rankings. So if they beat Clemson, they'd have to jump all the way from there to the top 4 to be in.

Tarholes #10 in just released playoff rankings. So if they beat Clemson, they'd have to jump all the way from there to the top 4 to be in.

My #hottake from today's rankings is that Stanford is the last one in if UNC wins, assuming that Alabama wins too.

Very easy to see how that could happen. It all comes down to two teams really, Stanford and OSU. Again, this is all predicated on UNC beating Clemson, but if they do:

-The two teams immediately ahead of them, FLST and ND, have two losses and don't play this weekend. Gone.
-They would jump Clemson on the basis of beating them in the ACCCG.
-They will jump whichever of IA or MIST loses the B1G.

That leaves Stanford and OSU. Assuming Stanford beats USC, the committee would have to decide between a two loss Pac 12 champion and a one loss ACC champion who beat the number one team. If Stanford loses, no brainer. That leaves OSU. Would the committee choose a one loss OSU team or a one loss UNC team who won the ACC and beat the number one team doing it?

Very easy to see how that could happen. It all comes down to two teams really, Stanford and OSU. Again, this is all predicated on UNC beating Clemson, but if they do:

-The two teams immediately ahead of them, FLST and ND, have two losses and don't play this weekend. Gone.
-They would jump Clemson on the basis of beating them in the ACCCG.
-They will jump whichever of IA or MIST loses the B1G.

That leaves Stanford and OSU. Assuming Stanford beats USC, the committee would have to decide between a two loss Pac 12 champion and a one loss ACC champion who beat the number one team. If Stanford loses, no brainer. That leaves OSU. Would the committee choose a one loss OSU team or a one loss UNC team who won the ACC and beat the number one team doing it?

They will choose Ohio State, and it will be wrong.

Don't schedule two FCS teams. I don't mind that precedent, if for no other reason than fuck UNC

UCF was in a BCS bowl a few years ago. Not sure when the game with Stanford was scheduled, but surely it was thought of as a good match up. That would never be the case with a game against A&T.

UNC: 2 wins over FCS teams and NO games against the rest of the top 25 is just a killer.

If you reward a one loss UNC team for beating nobody, then what incentive is there to play any kind of difficult non-conference schedule.

Last edited:
UNC: 2 wins over FCS teams and NO games against the rest of the top 25 is just a killer.

If you reward a one loss UNC team for beating nobody, then what incentive is there to play any kind of difficult non-conference schedule.

I think you reward a 1-loss team that beat the #1 team in the country in the final game of its season and became the conference champion of a conference with 3 1/2 (ND) top 10 teams.

A 1-loss ACC champ should never be behind a 2-loss team in the playoff. And it shouldn't be behind a team that didn't win its conference championship either.

Does a team that played Hawaii and Western Michigan really have room to complain about their schedule?

I don't know. Ask Michigan State. They beat Oregon and Air Force and aren't getting in unless they win the Big Ten CG.

Hey, UNC-CH scheduled Illinois. That ought to count for something. They also had tOSU on the schedule this year before the game got rescheduled and eventually cancelled. I think we all know how hard it is to schedule a power conference opponent with just a year or two to do it.

UNC-CH's biggest problem is their defense doesn't pass the eye test. Otherwise I think they'd be ranked in the top 7.

A 1-loss ACC champ should never be behind a 2-loss team in the playoff. And it shouldn't be behind a team that didn't win its conference championship either.

This is what it comes down to in my mind, particularly considering the ACC team's one loss came in the first game of the season.

Stanford beat 0-12 UCF. Is that really a better win than UNC's victory over NC A&T?

Yes for 2 reasons--UCF is an FCS team and UNC played not 1 but 2 1AA teams and actually struggled with Delaware, only leading 13-7 at the half before pulling away to win 41-14. That is the game Trubisky replaced Marquis, going 17/20, passing for 312 yards. Stanford also beat 7 Power 5 teams with .500 records or above.

But it will be close to see what the committee decides for that 4th spot should it go chalk on Bama beating Florida, as OK is already in, the Iowa/Mich St winner is in. That would be 3 givens. Then it is between a weak scheduled 1 loss ACC champ who just beat #1, a strong scheduled 2 loss Pac 12 champ who just closed out the season strong by beating their 8th strong team or a 1 loss non-title playing team who only beat 2 teams with winning records from Power 5 conferences.

This is what it comes down to in my mind, particularly considering the ACC team's one loss came in the first game of the season.

I hate being in the position of defending UNC in any way, but people forget that the South Carolina game was the first of the year. No one ever knows what to expect in the first game, things build up all summer. Everyone thinks they will be good. Spurrier was still there. People were excited. This wasn't middle of the season beaten down South Carolina, this was we have something to play for South Carolina. And UNC wins that game if Williams doesn't throw three picks. It's no worse than the loss Ohio State had last year and they got in.

Back