• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season Long Former Deac CBB Thread

Will be curious to see how Isaac Haas does against the Wolfpack.

Haas is legit. Would have been a huge get. Shelton's not starting anymore for Vandy so the Wilbekin "trade" isn't such a big deal... But we'd be starting Haas and Devin together in the front court with Wilbekin/Codi/Hudson.

That'd be a serious step up. Instead, we suck again.

Just announced that Haas is leading the nation in fouls drawn per 40 minutes. Shooting 56% FTs, so he'd fit right in here.

Haas is legit. Would have been a huge get. Shelton's not starting anymore for Vandy so the Wilbekin "trade" isn't such a big deal... But we'd be starting Haas and Devin together in the front court with Wilbekin/Codi/Hudson.

That'd be a serious step up. Instead, we suck again.

I was way off on Haas, I thought he would be terrible. But I'm not sure how he and Thomas could play together.

I was way off on Haas, I thought he would be terrible. But I'm not sure how he and Thomas could play together.

Really? Devin's a true power forward, Haas is a pure center. Stretch 4's are nice but they're not the norm. Devin's been getting killed by true centers and he's crushed it against teams that don't have a rim protector. Seems like they'd be a great fit.

Haas kicked our ass last night. Dude is huge

Really? Devin's a true power forward, Haas is a pure center. Stretch 4's are nice but they're not the norm. Devin's been getting killed by true centers and he's crushed it against teams that don't have a rim protector. Seems like they'd be a great fit.

I don't think Devin is a true PF. I think he is a (severely) undersized C. He can't play in the high post, he can't shoot outside of 5 feet, he is not a good passer- I'm not sure how he could be successful playing with another true post player. And Haas, while good, can't guard anybody other than a C either.

Edit to say that if we had Haas, we would probably be better playing Haas and Mitoglou/Rountree/Leonard and spelling Haas with Thomas.

Guess we just disagree. I think Devin's a good passer of the basketball, has an above average handle for a PF, and does have a shot outside of 5 feet (granted he's shooting it poorly this year so far, but he hit a fair number of short jumpers last year). I think forcing Devin to play 5 as our best player means he's either outmatched against a center defensively or he's drawing double teams. In the case of Iona he drew triple teams.

Sitting Thomas is just crazy talk.

Guess we just disagree. I think Devin's a good passer of the basketball, has an above average handle for a PF, and does have a shot outside of 5 feet (granted he's shooting it poorly this year so far, but he hit a fair number of short jumpers last year). I think forcing Devin to play 5 as our best player means he's either outmatched against a center defensively or he's drawing double teams. In the case of Iona he drew triple teams.

Sitting Thomas is just crazy talk.

Yep. You are more enamored of Thomas' game than I am. More power to you.

Yep. You are more enamored of Thomas' game than I am. More power to you.

Fine, but you have to realize how absurd benching Devin would be on this team even if we had a true center. He's averaging a double-double.

Fine, but you have to realize how absurd benching Devin would be on this team even if we had a true center. He's averaging a double-double.

He had 4 good games to start the season (2 against real competition) and has sucked for the 4 games since. The double-double is from a fairly small sample-size. My guess is he ends up around the 11 and 7 he averaged last year. That would be marginally better than the 12 and 5 Haas is putting up now.

Either way, its a relatively stupid discussion based a hypothetical world that will never exist. We don't really have a true C to see whether Thomas could play the 4, so that issue is moot as well.

Fair points, all.

Then again, that's how averages work. You have good games and bad games, and it would be unfair to characterize Devin's career to this point as being stat-stuffing outings again crap teams and mostly poor outings against good teams. And he's far and away our best rebounder. Having one legit ACC player on our team means every team we play designs their defense around stopping him first. His attitude may need work but his frustrations are understandable. In his recent poor games the 4 spot is generating almost nothing. He's on an island down there. Look at Leonard's stats as a starter for the past few games - they are absolutely abysmal.

Watching Baylor/Vandy - Shelton Mitchell is like a worse Madison Jones. Why in the world we recruited him with Codi and Madison on the team already is beyond me.

Watching Baylor/Vandy - Shelton Mitchell is like a worse Madison Jones. Why in the world we recruited him with Codi and Madison on the team already is beyond me.

Because [Redacted].
The same reason we missed on what turned out to be a good player (Haas).

Watching Baylor/Vandy - Shelton Mitchell is like a worse Madison Jones.
Nah, Shelton has very good vision. Haven't seen much scoring though.

I agree with DC, Devin is a true 4, he's quick, he's got decent vision and passing ability (he just makes too many risky passes), and he can handle the ball pretty well. I've seen him sucessfully use cross over and step through dribbles in transition multiple times - he's a coordinated dude. It's true that he can't shoot beyond 5 feet, but his jump shot mechanics are solid. He could have developed into a solid 4 man on a lot of other teams.

Last edited:
Shelton's O rating is pretty much exactly the same as Codi and Madison's so far. Wilbekin's is about 24 points higher than the other 3 at 113.

Back