• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Seeing People Out Alone

ITK

the desert dwarf
Reaction score
This was posted on the sports board re: Bzz.
ah, I feel bad for the guy sometimes. Never been one to like seeing anyone alone. But then I think about how much money he makes to suck and I don't feel as bad for him anymore.

So, I am game to do almost anything alone (eat out, see a movie, vacation). Do people really care that I am alone? Because I don't give a shit and I don't feel the need to drag someone with me to an activity they may or may not be interested in and make conversation just so I don't have to sit alone. Why would you care if someone's alone?

I don't mind eating alone or working mostly alone sometimes, but I would never go to a movie alone. I've never taken a vacation alone and have been married since I was 23 so it was never an issue. But I do enjoy having an extra day to tool around in a city by myself if traveling on business.

Driving alone is greatly preferred, but less environmentally acceptable.

Also, in case you missed this fact, LK says he saw Bzz seeing "The Hobbit" alone.

I will do almost anything alone. Eat alone, work alone, go to a movie alone... Pretty obvious from what i post on here that I don't give a shit about what people think of me.

At certain restaurants it can be strange to see someone eating alone. Kinda hard to explain what makes it that way. Otherwise, I often do things alone.

As someone married with a kid and a demanding job, I would love to be able to do more things alone, and I envy the person who can just sit alone in a restaurant and read a book.

I think it's fine to go to a movie alone.

It's fine to eat alone, although I probably wouldn't go to like a fancy restaurant by myself, just because it may look weird for me to be sitting there reading a book or looking at my phone.

Vacationing alone -- I've never done this, but you do what you've gotta do. If you don't have a significant other and your friends/family can't come with you, are you supposed to just never go on vacation? Fuck that. Haven't you seen Forgetting Sarah Marshall? That dude went to Hawaii by himself and ended up boning Mila Kunis.

Nothing wrong with some alone time. I know some people who can't handle doing anything alone or ever being by themselves, and I actually find that much weirder.

At certain restaurants it can be strange to see someone eating alone. Kinda hard to explain what makes it that way. Otherwise, I often do things alone.

I used to feel this way about Fogo de Chao but the last time I was there I saw 3 different men eating alone. Maybe next time I will go alone.

I just don't understand why someone would look at someone else who was alone and feel bad for them? Fuck that. They obviously don't give a shit what you think or need your pity.

Some restaurants like Brazilian steakhouses are more for group activities. I have no problem going out to eat by myself for lunch or for dinner if I'm away for work. If I saw somebody alone at the Melting Pot, for example, I'd feel bad for them.

Reactions: ITK
I don't mind eating alone or working mostly alone sometimes, but I would never go to a movie alone. I've never taken a vacation alone and have been married since I was 23 so it was never an issue. But I do enjoy having an extra day to tool around in a city by myself if traveling on business.

Hm, I'd never go to a restaurant alone but I go to movies alone a lot.

Well, I've gotten dinner alone at like, Panera. Then again, I've got my computer or are reading a book there.

going to a movie alone is great

Some restaurants like Brazilian steakhouses are more for group activities. I have no problem going out to eat by myself for lunch or for dinner if I'm away for work. If I saw somebody alone at the Melting Pot, for example, I'd feel bad for them.

But why?

A few years back, i almost went to venice alone, but my bro joined in last second. But i was prepared to go it alone.

Reactions: ITK
I find it awkward to go to restaurants alone and prefer not to do it. Not so much because I care what other people think but there is nobody to talk to so without a book I feel like I'm just looking down at my food eating and am done in 10 minutes.

But why not?

Well, movies are an activity. So there's some content to enjoy. Getting breakfast or lunch alone seems ok but I assume I'd have a book or newspaper with me.

If it's a place with service, I don't think I'd do it.

I'm losing my train of thought.

I find it awkward to go to restaurants alone and prefer not to do it. Not so much because I care what other people think but there is nobody to talk to so without a book I feel like I'm just looking down at my food eating and am done in 10 minutes.

Ok, this I get.

While I frequently go to casual restaurants alone for lunch at work (though I'm trying to be better about bringing my lunch to work instead), I wouldn't want to go alone to a restaurant with a waiter. Like Say Hey said, I wouldn't feel as comfortable reading a book in a nicer restaurant for some reason.

I travel to races alone all the time, but wish I had someone to go on vacation with. I don't necessarily feel safe wandering through somewhere unfamiliar alone at night, and I wouldn't want to miss out on a city's nightlife and nice dining options. Really going to try and be a grown woman and do some traveling alone this year.

I'm also not into talking to strangers, so I wouldn't go to a bar alone, for fear someone creepy would sidle up and try to start a conversation. Yes I realize this prevents any normal person from talking to me either.

Never an issue if you got to an ethnic restaurant

and if you go to nicer place, you just eat at the bar

Back