• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Seeing People Out Alone

I do lunch alone most every day now because I work in a 6 person company and everyone is lame. Will go sit at a sports bar alone if I want to catch the game. Have done the fancy restaurant thing alone twice that I can remember (Stripsteak and Urasawa) and I definitely felt weird at the former, but both were cases where its hard to get some people to want to spend the $$ on a really good meal if I want one that day.

This revelation surprises no one

But why give a shit if some random person you don't know has friends or not?

I don't know. Maybe I make up little stories in my head about people if I notice them, and in this story this person had no friends. Friendship and social interaction are an important part of my life and help keep me happy. lbE makes a good point that it depends if a person looks lonely or not. If someone looks comfortable/confident then I probably wouldn't notice or feel bad for them.

Oh man sitting at a bar alone sounds like torture. if you're dining there, you're stuck for a certain length of time and can't avoid the creepos that want to talk about weird stuff or ogle you. And if it was a crowded bar, there's always people trying to elbow up to the bar and get service, bumping into you.

I don't know. Maybe I make up little stories in my head about people if I notice them, and in this story this person had no friends. Friendship and social interaction are an important part of my life and help keep me happy. lbE makes a good point that it depends if a person looks lonely or not. If someone looks comfortable/confident then I probably wouldn't notice or feel bad for them.

Ok, I understand this. I rarely think about people I don't know and just observe.

I get bummed out when I see older people by themselves, especially if they're not rocking a wedding ring. There are assumptions I make when I see that, and it usually is a drag.

Was it Sartre who quipped "Hell is other people"? I concur.

But like others in this thread have suggested, I too draw a distinction between "eating" (which I love doing alone out at places) and "going out to eat," which I see as a social activity and also enjoy. In other words, I see the main objective of "eating" as just that, but eating is just a small part of "going out to eat."

I don't really mind being served when I'm alone, it just tends to be more expensive.

Don't see the big deal about going to a movie alone. Its hardly activity based if there is no interaction. Have done this a couple of times and felt fine. I don't like dining out alone as I just get bored. I'll go to a sports bar by myself to catch a Wake game (non bzz coached team) but will end up making friends with people.

But if I don't go to Melting Pot alone PhDeac, how am I going to party with Pitbull??? I just thought this was funny because they bill themselves as a romantic restaurant and then their promotion features Pitbull in a tux.
http://www.meltingpot.com/

meltingpotm.jpg

Last edited:
I go to restaurants alone all the time, but it's usually for lunch. Rarely for dinner unless it's like Chipotle or something. I do, however, sometimes, but rarely, go to fancy restaurants alone if I know my fiance wouldn't like it (and she's not in town). For example, I just booked myself a seat at the special omakase counter at the best sushi spot in town, which I've been wanting to hit up for a while. and of course when traveling for work.

have seen a few concerts alone, which is fine too. never done a movie alone.

i would much rather do a dark movie alone (in which you can't talk anyway) than a concert experience alone.

Oh man sitting at a bar alone sounds like torture. if you're dining there, you're stuck for a certain length of time and can't avoid the creepos that want to talk about weird stuff or ogle you. And if it was a crowded bar, there's always people trying to elbow up to the bar and get service, bumping into you.

i definitely make up stories about people and draw my own conclusions. it's a little silly, but it's where my emotions/perceptions of them come from. that's why their body language plays into the equation.

I get bummed out when I see older people by themselves, especially if they're not rocking a wedding ring. There are assumptions I make when I see that, and it usually is a drag.

for real. probably the easiest way to drag me down at a restaurant. sometimes i want to invite them to join me/us in the idyllic mindset that it will be some great relationship movies are built from but them i'm afraid they'll be an old curmudgeon that just wanted to get away from everyone (#getoffmylawn) so i do nothing.

Going to London by myself was awesome. I did what I wanted when I wanted for however long I felt was necessary. I had nobody to please but myself. It was wonderful.

The company I work for has an old HQ office in bubble Mississippi. I am there at least twice a month. All the employees still there (and not at our HQ in Atlanta) are long in the tooth and want to get home to family. I eat three meals a day alone when I am there. I just sit at the bar and try to get back to the hotel as soon as possible. The GD shoe show in the town is bikini if you were wondering. WTF?

Going to London by myself was awesome. I did what I wanted when I wanted for however long I felt was necessary. I had nobody to please but myself. It was wonderful.

Did you really need to go all the way to London to please yourself?

Interesting thread. Just noticed it so I'll chime in.

I'm recently separated and I am living alone for the first time in my life. I always had roommates in college and then I moved in with my girlfriend and then married her. I fucking love it. I was never alone, never had much time to myself except when working out or driving or something. I do so much alone now, go to eat, go to bars, etc. Sometimes I meet up with old friends and I have plenty, but being alone is pretty awesome too. I am a friendly person and I talk to people all the time. I have no trouble making conversation with people, or hanging back and being solitary, depending on my mood and on the situation. If you see me out alone don't feel sorry for me, because I'm diggin it and I have chosen it. Its fun to people-watch or to strike up a conversation. I was hanging around Chicago a few weeks ago alone and wanted to get a drink. I looked in the window of a pub and it looked friendly so I went in. Sat alone for a few minutes and then struck up a conversation with the people sitting around me and had some laughs and heard their story, then split. Had a blast.

Did you really need to go all the way to London to please yourself?

:thumbsup:

If I was with someone else, I wouldn't have been nearly as happy with what I did and didn't do and my itinerary would've been much different.

I like it for certain activities. I used to hate it and whatnot, but I have gotten over it. If you want to see a movie and your s/o doesn't, why deprive yourself from enjoying it for fear of being judged? Go to the movie and enjoy it. Same goes for food etc.

That said, I feel sorry for anyone going to the melting pot, not just people alone.

I like doing things alone on my own schedule because it's rare nowadays with a wife and kid and dog. I took a vacation alone when I was single to Savannah and Charleston and I had a great time.

I go to most concerts alone now, and its great. Saves babysitter money since its something my wife doesn't really care about either way, I can get much better seats if just buying a single, and can book it out of the venue and beat the traffic.

Back