• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Seeing People Out Alone

I kind of read the person before I feel 'bad' (pity? sympathy?) for them. If they're looking around the restaurant and look LONELY (very different from being alone), then I feel bad. If they're just chomping through their food and seemingly content with everything, more power to them.
Personally, I hate eating alone at a restaurant with service (places like panera, etc, don't really count) unless I'm at an airport. I also dislike traveling alone; I did Rome by myself for 3 days and though I went out with the hostel people in the evenings, the days were just ....blah. it was bad, but that's because the weekend switched from me being alone to being lonely. I really like experiencing things, but I like experiencing things with other people more.
I'd see a movie alone, though. The only thing that keeps me from doing that is I don't value a theater experience enough to pay $10 to see the crappy chick flick that nobody else will see with me.

I'd think they had no friends.

I posted in another thread about going to Vegas alone this weekend and will likely avoid going to a nice restaurant for fear that people will think I can't afford a companion.

I kind of read the person before I feel 'bad' (pity? sympathy?) for them. If they're looking around the restaurant and look LONELY (very different from being alone), then I feel bad. If they're just chomping through their food and seemingly content with everything, more power to them.
Personally, I hate eating alone unless I'm at an airport. I also dislike traveling alone; I did Rome by myself for 3 days and though I went out with the hostel people in the evenings, the days were just ....blah. it was bad, but that's because the weekend switched from me being alone to being lonely. I really like experiencing things, but I like experiencing things with other people more.
I'd see a movie alone, though. The only thing that keeps me from doing that is I don't value a theater experience enough to pay $10 to see the crappy chick flick that nobody else will see with me.

Stop seeing shitty movies.

I posted in another thread about going to Vegas alone this weekend and will likely avoid going to a nice restaurant for fear that people will think I can't afford a companion.

Like Moon said, eat at the bar. Restaurants want your money.

I don't feel bad for people go see movies alone. I feel bad for people who go see shitty movies regardless of the company they share them with.

As someone married with a kid and a demanding job, I would love to be able to do more things alone, and I envy the person who can just sit alone in a restaurant and read a book.

this is the truth. the only good part about business travel is the silence

I actually like having dinner at the bar of a nicer place alone if I'm traveling. Catch some sports, have a few drinks, chat with sometimes interesting people.

I used to feel this way about Fogo de Chao but the last time I was there I saw 3 different men eating alone. Maybe next time I will go alone.

I just don't understand why someone would look at someone else who was alone and feel bad for them? Fuck that. They obviously don't give a shit what you think or need your pity.

I live in a fairly walkable neighborhood with lots of bars & restos, a few of where I vaguely know the barkeeps, so I have no problem eating at the bar alone at those places, especially if Ive just worked until 10pm on a weeknight which means I likely need a drink anyway. I also eat at the resto bars or places that cater to biz lunchers alone for workday lunches at least once a week.

All this being said, I think if I did an all you can eat brazillian steakhouse by myself, it would take me weeks to get over the resultant shame spiral.

Stop seeing shitty movies.

i don't, because i don't want to pay for them. ...i'll watch them in my home all day every day no problem.
i'm just saying i don't see an issue with going to the movies alone.

I actually like having dinner at the bar of a nicer place alone if I'm traveling. Catch some sports, have a few drinks, chat with sometimes interesting people.

this sounds ok.

I can't eat alone without something to read because I get bored and antsy.

I just did a ten-day trip to Colombia by myself. It was great because I went with no itinerary and could change plans on a whim. Made a few short-term buddies along the way. There were a few times when it was a little lonely, but I had enough to read and I'm pretty introverted anyways.

Are there places it's acceptable to pity people riding solo? Strip clubs?

I do lunch alone most every day now because I work in a 6 person company and everyone is lame. Will go sit at a sports bar alone if I want to catch the game. Have done the fancy restaurant thing alone twice that I can remember (Stripsteak and Urasawa) and I definitely felt weird at the former, but both were cases where its hard to get some people to want to spend the $$ on a really good meal if I want one that day.

I go to restaurants alone all the time, but it's usually for lunch. Rarely for dinner unless it's like Chipotle or something. I do, however, sometimes, but rarely, go to fancy restaurants alone if I know my fiance wouldn't like it (and she's not in town). For example, I just booked myself a seat at the special omakase counter at the best sushi spot in town, which I've been wanting to hit up for a while. and of course when traveling for work.

have seen a few concerts alone, which is fine too. never done a movie alone.

Back