• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring Football Practice

#4 in bold. The new plays.

The Spring Game will be replayed Monday at 11:30 on ACCN.

What I remember:
"Pro style" play action pass.
Pass to RB in flat that appeared to be designed play, not last ditch desperation.

Will need to rewatch for more. Practice reports have mentioned different plays and looks.

I had wondered why we haven’t heard many reports from spring practice from Clawson.
He said at the end of the game yesterday that he won’t be stating names as to who has stood out for fear that coaches may poach these players in the next 8 days. Crazy times…
After Wakeyleaks, I assume all of our practices are completely closed to fans, the media, donors etc.

Our offensive coordinator grew tired of watching our QB stand there forever, then get obliterated?
In many plays in previous years, the RB was only part of the QB protection. It appears designed quick pass to RB who is not part of protection scheme. It does not appear to be a "safety valve" dump off.

I'm not as pessimistic. Yes the evaluation of the QB situation in 2023 was not good. However, at least part if that was massive differences between the performance of Mitch in live games in 2023 and his performance in his start in 2022 and his work inpractices and spring games.
That's the line we've been fed from the les and cam show but if you watched the spring game it was pretty clear that Mitch struggled imo

That's the line we've been fed from the les and cam show but if you watched the spring game it was pretty clear that Mitch struggled imo

Clawson’s “Griffis looked really good in practice” line reached “I have a girlfriend but she lives in Canada” proportions.

After Wakeyleaks, I assume all of our practices are completely closed to fans, the media, donors etc.
Spring and fall camp practices have never been closed to us. The only ones that are closed are game-week ones, and you can probably count on one hand the amount of P4 programs that allow media at those.

@DeacsOrDie, I put something in the thread earlier about not doing the same practice reports as usual.

Spring and fall camp practices have never been closed to us. The only ones that are closed are game-week ones, and you can probably count on one hand the amount of P4 programs that allow media at those.

@DeacsOrDie, I put something in the thread earlier about not doing the same practice reports as usual.
Does Wake make restrictions on what you can report? Depth charts/packages/play calls? Is it different than what Duke allows?

Does Wake make restrictions on what you can report? Depth charts/packages/play calls? Is it different than what Duke allows?
Here is what Wake sent before spring practices, copy-and-pasted:

Open Practice Rules & Guidelines
  • Health & Safety Protocols:
    • Media members may observe practice from the balcony of McCreary Field House for select practices each week of fall camp that will be denoted in the week's media schedule.
      • Post-practice interviews will be conducted on the field through communication with Will Pantages, Andrew Kovar and Grant Keith.
    • Media members may observe from the field until the start of the stretching period.
    • Coach Clawson, Assistant Coaches or select student-athletes will be available for brief interviews following practices upon request.
    • Photographers and videographers may shoot photos beyond the stretching period with permission and supervision of Athletic Communications staff.
      • All photography and videography must be shot from the sideline only, cropped tight, and not showing any play formations.
  • Reporting of Information:
    • Any media members in attendance are not permitted to report on injuries, formations, or personnel.
    • There will be no photos or video taken at any time unless previously approved by Wake Forest Athletic Communications. If approved to shoot, all photographers and videographers may shoot video from the sideline only, cropped tight, and not showing any play formations, injuries or personnel.

Duke is different but kind of the same. Elko didn't want us reporting first-team/second-team/third-team reps, which I understood better after talking about it with him. That's never been the case at WF, though. I don't think that was the case with Diaz ... but I guess I'm conditioned to not do it because I never really paid attention to it at the 3 practices I went to over there.

Both of them, for obvious reasons, would freak out if we were reporting alignments, personnel, trick plays, etc.

Here is what Wake sent before spring practices, copy-and-pasted:

Open Practice Rules & Guidelines
  • Health & Safety Protocols:
    • Media members may observe practice from the balcony of McCreary Field House for select practices each week of fall camp that will be denoted in the week's media schedule.
      • Post-practice interviews will be conducted on the field through communication with Will Pantages, Andrew Kovar and Grant Keith.
    • Media members may observe from the field until the start of the stretching period.
    • Coach Clawson, Assistant Coaches or select student-athletes will be available for brief interviews following practices upon request.
    • Photographers and videographers may shoot photos beyond the stretching period with permission and supervision of Athletic Communications staff.
      • All photography and videography must be shot from the sideline only, cropped tight, and not showing any play formations.
  • Reporting of Information:
    • Any media members in attendance are not permitted to report on injuries, formations, or personnel.
    • There will be no photos or video taken at any time unless previously approved by Wake Forest Athletic Communications. If approved to shoot, all photographers and videographers may shoot video from the sideline only, cropped tight, and not showing any play formations, injuries or personnel.

Duke is different but kind of the same. Elko didn't want us reporting first-team/second-team/third-team reps, which I understood better after talking about it with him. That's never been the case at WF, though. I don't think that was the case with Diaz ... but I guess I'm conditioned to not do it because I never really paid attention to it at the 3 practices I went to over there.

Both of them, for obvious reasons, would freak out if we were reporting alignments, personnel, trick plays, etc.
Thanks for replying. Has Clawson said anything about the QB radio at all? TV yesterday said the days of teams having signs calling plays are gone, but I don't see how anything changes for Wake as they call plays at line and don't huddle.

Back