• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

spring game thread

How long does the new O-line coach get? I hate being in that awkward position where we lack talent and thus cannot really judge coaching because you run the risk of the guy sucking all along and the talent excuse bought him years.

Until there's no excuse for not having talent. That's part of his job too.

He did great at BSU. Can't imagine he won't have us looking much better in 2016. If we could elevate our play to just below average for 2015, I'd call it a success.

One thing about schools at a level lower than P5: There's really no elite talent at that level. Everyone's playing with players remaining after the top tier programs take their recruits. That's still a huge "talent" pool, but not elite. So it's possible to outwork your competition and get tangible results because broadly speaking everyone has about the same caliber recruits. At Wake, we've got to go up against elite talent, and no matter how hard we work we aren't going to push anyone around. At best we can hold our own and execute a good offensive scheme. If we can attain some modicum of parity with the majority of programs in our league -- which we have in the past -- then we can compete with some of them on the basis of our coaching.

Okay, maybe that's stating the obvious, but I guess my point is that guy's like Clawson can't necessarily just do what they did at Richmond and BGSU and be successful here. They got to be able to field players that can take on another [higher] level of talent than they're used to, and which we don't historically get enough of. Clawson and staff have had good results recruiting given where we were. At the bottom. I'm interested to see how well this talent begins to perform because more and more it's going to be about what Clawson has done at Wake that will matter, and he's going to need some stats and results to entice better players to come here. It took Cutcliffe quite a while to gain momentum at Duke. A lot of incremental progress, but now he appears to be cruising and still elevating his talent. I hope we see good results sooner, but am prepared for a slow climb regardless.

It may have mentioned earlier in the thread, but how was the attendance? Mid-season tail gate form, or some work to do?

We have 4 seniors on the roster. That's right, FOUR!

If we can ramp up our compete level this year and if the OL shows signs of improvement...I see a promising 2016

If we can ramp up our compete level this year and if the OL shows signs of improvement...I see a promising 2016

Agreed. The schedule looks pretty favorable as well in '16.

Back