• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Buzz - End of Year Three (Regular Season)

Three years later, where do you stand on our dear Buzz?

• Total voters
The [Redacted] era started slowly and tapered off.

Hahaha. I remember that one week right before the Stetson game where I was BuzzWait. What was I waiting for? All the evidence was right there. Losers just don't become winners in their late 50s.

Hahaha. I remember that one week right before the Stetson game where I was BuzzWait. What was I waiting for? All the evidence was right there. Losers just don't become winners in their late 50s.

It was the, "surely this dude can't be this incompetent... surely not" wishing deep inside our brains.

Whoops.

I voted BuzzWait and the only reason is that I think every coach deserves 5 years once they are hired. Make no mistake, I think Buzz has been absolutely terrible. Not only as a coach but as a representative of the University, but unless you are actually physically hurting the players and/or sleeping with the 15 year old daughter of the Dean, then I think you should get 5 years.

Yes, Dino should have gotten 5 years.

Ph and others who knew in season 1, I mean, congrats to you guys for being right the whole time, but it honestly took me until this, his most successful season, to see that we were going nowhere with [Redacted].

I gave him the benefit of the doubt for all of season 1, because I bought into the reasons Wellman gave, and because I was generally very optimistic about Wellman and Wake sports in general. Most of that comes from being roommates with DeacFan2009, who called our ACC Championship in football. I figured that since Dino had a modicum of success, if we were firing him, Wellman must have known something about Bz. Year 1 obviously didn't give me anything to like, and between year 1 and year 2, I went from Trust in Wellman to BzWait. I was firmly there through most of the second season, with that lingering sense of optimism, and seeing that we had some decent recruits coming in, I thought that maybe he would be able to make some noise in a third year. It started pretty early this year that I began to really realize the full incompetence of Bz's coaching abilities, and it mostly centered around inconsistency. Some days we ran sets, spaced well, and looked like a team of young, talented players. Other days we looked like a high school JV team. And even that could be forgiveable if [Redacted] wasn't so dead set on blaming anyone but himself for the continuing disaster.

I know I waited longer than most to go fully BzOut, and that was early this season. Now, I just have a hard time seeing how anybody could, in good faith, think [Redacted], at his age, with his track record, could possibly be the best option for us going forward. I would love to hear any well-articulated reasons why anyone thinks he should get another year.

If we are putting all of our eggs in the culture basket then it would be nice to at least have a coach who isn't as socially inept as Buzz. Any coach can have one winning season out of 5 in the ACC, and it seems that those are the results our athletic department are anticipating. The reason for my late arrival to the Buzz out station is that after Skips death I felt the program deserved a 5 year Grace period. Since then I've been fighting myself to remain positive. At this point it's impossible and it's time we look in a new direction.

I voted BuzzWait and the only reason is that I think every coach deserves 5 years once they are hired. Make no mistake, I think Buzz has been absolutely terrible. Not only as a coach but as a representative of the University, but unless you are actually physically hurting the players and/or sleeping with the 15 year old daughter of the Dean, then I think you should get 5 years.

Just college coaches? Or professional team coaches as well?

I know I waited longer than most to go fully BzOut, and that was early this season. Now, I just have a hard time seeing how anybody could, in good faith, think [Redacted], at his age, with his track record, could possibly be the best option for us going forward. I would love to hear any well-articulated reasons why anyone thinks he should get another year.

Does this work?

Not really, unless he explains why. My guess is that you want to see 4 years of his recruiting so he gets all his players and fully implements his system?

Does this work?

I'm not convinced by that logic. Dino had his problems, but he was a better coach than Jeff [Redacted] has ever been. It's not as if [Redacted] is volunteering his time, either: we're talking about millions of dollars in compensation, largely culled from alumni and fan donations. He's not even performing at an Enron or Goldman Sachs level right now.

That Wellman has yet to fire [Redacted] is a complete insult to the fanbase, to students, alumni, and townies alike, to Dino, to Skip's memory, to GDO, to Carl f'in Tacy, to our student athlete alumni (from CP3 to Chill, from Ish to Rusty, and especially James, Jeff, and AFA) etc. etc. etc.

yes -- get all his own players in there and see at that point.

It does not apply to pro coaches though I don't really follow the NBA that closely to care.

I can't disagree with how poorly Bzzz is as a coach. Not in anyway. He was a poor hire. He did the most ridiculous thing of recruiting a 7 man class (now 8 with Green's injury). He is absolute murder in front of a mic. But he only has 3 years in. Now if ther are multiple transfers after this year then I would have to reconsider. But until that happens, I can't say that I want his ouster until the conclusion of year 14-15.

Reactions: TBR

Amazing how the waiting period has expanded since Bz was hired. First two, then three, somehow we skipped four, now five.

If it's painfully obvious that he shouldn't have been hired in the first place, why should he get five years?

It does not apply to pro coaches though I don't really follow the NBA that closely to care.

I can't disagree with how poorly Bzzz is as a coach. Not in anyway. He was a poor hire. He did the most ridiculous thing of recruiting a 7 man class (now 8 with Green's injury). He is absolute murder in front of a mic. But he only has 3 years in. Now if ther are multiple transfers after this year then I would have to reconsider. But until that happens, I can't say that I want his ouster until the conclusion of year 14-15.
Your argument applies with young or inexperienced coaches but most likely not with Buzz. He has a long track record of poor performance. This is bordering on definition of insanity time with how much the Nuggets, Air Force, Colorado, and WF have expected different results from the same person doing the same things.

Last edited:

You think he's holding back his great coaching skills til years 4 and 5?

The results of this poll are hilarious. Imagine the outrage if he is brought back. There may be a riot in the streets of W-S.

I was questionable about the hire and then went to the Presby game. We lost. I was like WTF, but not BuzzOut. Then I turned on the radio and heard the postgame: "I have tried everything, but these kids just don't get it. I don't know how to reach them."

He admitted that he is a shitty coach. What?

BuzzOut since then. Haven't been back to the Joel since then either.

I do appreciate Dingo posting an explanation though. I don't agree with it but it is nice to see him backing up his vote.

I'd like to hear from others voting "In" or "Wait" to see why they feel the way they do. Hopefully people wouldn't jump over them if they do post.

I was questionable about the hire and then went to the Presby game. We lost. I was like WTF, but not BuzzOut. Then I turned on the radio and heard the postgame: "I have tried everything, but these kids just don't get it. I don't know how to reach them."

He admitted that he is a shitty coach. What?

BuzzOut since then. Haven't been back to the Joel since then either.

That's when I lost my mind about this clown as well. #BuzzOUT was born that night.

Ahhhhhh, memories.

The results of this poll are hilarious. Imagine the outrage if he is brought back. There may be a riot in the streets of W-S.

That's the idea. This is the closest to consensus I've ever seen from Wake fans regarding the fate of a basketball coach.

Back