• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

It is obvious that anything that the Heels have won will forever be tainted. I hope they strip them of their titles but I would be very surprised considering how much of a revenue generator they are during the NCAA tournament. I almost expect football to get the death penalty while the basketball program continues to whistle past the graveyard.

I saw the tail end of them talking about it in studio before the Hoos-Cuse game and Kellogg was saying they should be some significant penalties against UNC.

Kellogg is exactly correct. Now whether or not the NCAA will do anything to the Heels is another story. What they have done is put the Tar Heel Ladies out there as the sacrificial lambs along with soccer and ran that up as an extra trial balloon this fall to help extend the process so it would go past the basketball season and take the media pressure off. It has done exactly that unfortunately and their ploy has worked.

What we have to hope is that Sylvia Hatchell and the women's groups out there are not going to stand for "them" to have it all swept under their rug. We hope that they have stated their side of the case clearly to at least show that every sport was doing exactly what they were doing--football, basketball, baseball, soccer, women's basketball--everybody had the same Af-Am academic services at their ready and were using them from 1993-2011--the time Julius Nyang'Oro came and joined forces with Deborah Crowder and Roy's own academic advisor from Kansas, Wayne Walden. Walden has mysteriously disappeared and retired from the job, just like a lot of others in a serious reminder of the Warren Commission and all that got gone after the Kennedy Assassination.

You expect the same NCAA to take away a trophy after they treated Syracuse as such:

Britton Banowsky, chief hearing officer for the NCAA, said in a teleconference after the report was released that because most of the violations occurred before the NCAA installed a new penalty structure last year, Syracuse and Boeheim won't have to face more severe punishment. That could have included a two-year postseason ban for the team and a season-long suspension for the coach.

They also reviewed information back to 2001, but made sure not to touch the 2003 national title.

To be fair, I think most of what Cuse did was accept money from boosters at a local Y.

That's hardly on the same page as the institutional failures that UNC has allowed to go on for a quarter of a century plus.

Somebody can correct me if I am incorrect on what Cuse did.

Okay, somebody explain to me how most observers don't believe the men's football or basketball teams will have to vacate any wins or championships?

Vacating wins/championships usually results from NCAA allegations of using ineligible players. The one "victory" for UNC in an otherwise harsher than expected NOA was that it did not contain any allegations that UNC used ineligible athletes. Having said that, I read a while back that the Committee on Infractions could still impose those types of penalties. It would be unusual though. Postseason bans, fines and scholarship reductions are far more likely IMO.

On another note, the most interesting thing from the Emmert comments was that he basically blamed UNC for the delay. Apparently the NCAA has been waiting on them for 6-7 months longer than UNC's initial estimate. It will be interesting to see if any new allegations follow whatever UNC ultimately reports following the investigation over that period. If they don't report anything significant after all this time, wouldn't they risk antagonizing the NCAA?

The timing of his comments was also interesting since many of the UNC Final Four articles now mention the academic scandal. Nice time to bring that back to the forefront.

Vacating wins/championships usually results from NCAA allegations of using ineligible players. The one "victory" for UNC in an otherwise harsher than expected NOA was that it did not contain any allegations that UNC used ineligible athletes. Having said that, I read a while back that the Committee on Infractions could still impose those types of penalties. It would be unusual though. Postseason bans, fines and scholarship reductions are far more likely IMO.

On another note, the most interesting thing from the Emmert comments was that he basically blamed UNC for the delay. Apparently the NCAA has been waiting on them for 6-7 months longer than UNC's initial estimate. It will be interesting to see if any new allegations follow whatever UNC ultimately reports following the investigation over that period. If they don't report anything significant after all this time, wouldn't they risk antagonizing the NCAA?

The timing of his comments was also interesting since many of the UNC Final Four articles now mention the academic scandal. Nice time to bring that back to the forefront.

I am fine with a postseason ban, but when that ban comes down immediately after a national title and affects the team the following year, that likely wont compete for the title, that pisses me off. It should have come down this year.

UNC-Syracuse side of the bracket is embarrassment to NCAA
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25533198

Given the state of college sports, North Carolina-Syracuse is quite possibly the most fitting Final Four game ever. The NCAA will dread a whole week on the topic.

We all get to remember Syracuse's self-imposed postseason ban; Jim Boeheim's nine-game suspension this year for failing to monitor his program; a report that North Carolina's 2005 championship team had players accounting for 35 enrollments in classes that didn't meet and produced easy, high grades; and the NCAA dragging its feet for years about truly investigating North Carolina until it had virtually no choice.

North Carolina-Syracuse gives more media members a timely and important reason to dig deeply into how pockets of college athletes get passed through the system without being educated. No matter what fans and coaches of North Carolina and Syracuse say, that's a good thing to scrutinize education instead of buying into the NCAA propaganda.

Last May, the NCAA gave North Carolina a notice of allegations that included a charge of lack of institutional control for poor oversight of an African and Afro-American Studies class and the counselors who advised the athletes. A former U.S. Justice Department official found that the fake classes occurred between 1993 and 2011.

How strange has this academic fraud scandal been? North Carolina wasn't even charged by the NCAA with academic fraud. Because of how the NCAA interpreted its bylaws, the association instead charged North Carolina with "impermissible benefits," a term more commonly used for gaining something of monetary value, not free academic grades. NCAA officials have said they are limited in pursuing academic misconduct because member universities have insisted only they should determine the legitimacy of a class, so now the NCAA is in the process of redefining the definition of academic misconduct.

UNC broke the rules? Time to re-interpret then re-write the rules....

This case will open the doors wide for the SEC once they decide to expand beyond football. If precedence matters, how can any school ever get punished for bad academics again?

Where are you guys watching the game on Saturday?

The only reason to watch the game would be to see how badly the refs screw it up.

I could care less about the Final Four, which says a lot because for most of my 45 years the Final Four was one if the top 4 sporting events of the year to me. Our basketball program has beat me down to a point it's hard to be college basketball fan. For some reason football has never done that to me, I guess because I know how much easier it is for us to be competitive in basketball and I appreciate the football guys efforts. Add to that I obviously hate UNC, but outside of Duke, I probably hate Cuse worse than any other ACC team they could be playing. Short of both teams getting disqualified and the Ok v. Nova winner being declared champion, I won't be happy with the result. Unless UNC has a god awful shooting night, Cuse has no chance anyway.

Ideally would like to see a Cuse-Sooners final with Buddy Hield cutting down the nets. Buddy is KING

I quit enabling UNC and Dook with my TV ratings years ago. Do not watch them, and advise others to do the same.
I get that during the season but in the tourny, aren't we enabling the ACC payout, which brings $$$ to Wake? $40m/15 teams = $2.67m.

Rewarding the league does reward the individual teams, but that happens in the regular season as well. By watching UNC, Duke in the tournament, you are sending the message that these two teams deliver ratings (and therefore deserve special treatment by the refs, the NCAA during investigations, etc). The message to be sent is that you object to this special treatment at all times - even if it costs the league and its individual members.

My parents are "ACC fans" and root for UNC, Duke, and wonder why I don't - "it's good for the conference," they reason. I'll root for other ACC teams but not them. Their popularity is not healthy for the league, and keeps the other members down. IMHO, it is better for Wake to have a fair shot (one day) to beat them regularly in basketball than be a guaranteed W with a league payout.

I get what you're saying in general, but I'm with your parents. At tourny time, I'll root for the ACC regardless of the team. The better the conference does, the more valuable Wake's position is, both in rep and in $$.

I try to divorce opposing players from their fan base and even their head coaches. In the case of UNC there are several "likable" players but their fan base is intolerable. At Duke, well the whole thing is fairly intolerable. At UVA, both players and head coach are really enjoyable. I don't know much about their fan base.

Back