• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

I can't wait until UNC gets the hammer.

matt-doherty-unc.jpg

Time.jpg

Talk about moving goalposts. It's no longer "the carolina way", arguing that they do thing the right way. It's no longer, "everybody else does it". Now, as long as there are child rapist, we should be "re-punished" just for cheating.

Every time jhmd types the word "re-punished" he is proving beyond all doubt that he is a freaking idiot.

Every time jhmd types the word "re-punished" he is proving beyond all doubt that he is a freaking idiot.

Apparently jhmd doesn't understand, (or, more likely, doesn't want to understand) that the current NCAA investigation of UNC is for alleged violations that are different from and in addition to the violations for which the football team was previously punished. Just like the current situation wherein the time for adjudication of the set of alleged violations was extended because there were even more ADDITIONAL alleged violations reported that were not included in any of the previous reported alleged violations.

To quote a song "...when will they ever learn. When will they ever learn."

Unlike some, I really feel like the NCAA is going to stick it to the Holes especially after what Syracuse and SMU got.

jhmd can dream all he wants, but eventually that hammer is going to fall hard.

Refreshingly, someone besides myself makes an interesting point in this thread. It is not fair to say that any future punishments would be a "re-punishment", because that accurately describes a prior version of sanctions related to this investigation. You see, unlike Auburn, Ohio State and Dook, Carolina took the responsible step of preemptively sitting their own players before the completion of the investigation. That's probably the initial "punishment." At the conclusion of the internal investigation, UNC self-imposed further sanctions, which would constitute the first round of "re-punishment." Despite Carolina's unprecedented cooperation, the NCAA expanded on the initial preemptive measures ("punishment"), the self-imposed sanctions ("re-punishment") and expanded on those sanctions with yet a third round (hereinafter, "three-punishment").

If we refer to this next round as "re-punishment", we are actually overlooking two prior rounds. I note your correction, and will henceforth refer to it as "the fourth round of punishment". My apologies.

Last edited:
Unlike some, I really feel like the NCAA is going to stick it to the Holes especially after what Syracuse and SMU got.

jhmd can dream all he wants, but eventually that hammer is going to fall hard.

I can't wait. What Lance Thomas got away with is unconscionable. If UNC had a player sanctioned because he slept on his friend and former teammate's couch without paying (Question: who does that in real life?"), what is Lance Thomas going to get for $60,000.00 of jewelry? What is Kentucky going to get for being, well, Kentucky? This is going to be awesome.

it's not re-punishment. it's adjusting the punishment to fit the crimes... AFTER it became obvious that the ncaa had already tried to ignore the severity of the issues involved.

it's not re-punishment. it's adjusting the punishment to fit the crimes... AFTER it became obvious that the ncaa had already tried to ignore the severity of the issues involved.

Correct; it's the fourth round of punishment. Let's hit UNC a fourth time, meanwhile Penn State has their punishment reduced. #severity

Correct; it's the fourth round of punishment. Let's hit UNC a fourth time, meanwhile Penn State has their punishment reduced. #severity

penn state is the outlier. there is no precedent to what they did. it's beyond mind blowing.

unc has done something that lots of other schools have done. cheat to win. and they did it on a level and with an arrogance that is truly staggering. that has also never been seen before.

With no due respect, you are a parody, right? I mean, you know UNC has cheated over and over, in ways unfathomable to any credible University, right?

Saw a post on IC arguing that UNC will not get slammed because, although the egregiousness of the fraud was far greater at UNC than SMU, it was just academics in general and not specifically athletics. So I gues the "everybody does it" argument means that all UNC students can participate in academic scams and not just athletes.

Refreshingly, someone besides myself makes an interesting point in this thread. It is not fair to say that any future punishments would be a "re-punishment", because that accurately describes a prior version of sanctions related to this investigation. You see, unlike Auburn, Ohio State and Dook, Carolina took the responsible step of preemptively sitting their own players before the completion of the investigation. That's probably the initial "punishment." At the conclusion of the internal investigation, UNC self-imposed further sanctions, which would constitute the first round of "re-punishment." Despite Carolina's unprecedented cooperation, the NCAA expanded on the initial preemptive measures ("punishment"), the self-imposed sanctions ("re-punishment") and expanded on those sanctions with yet a third round (hereinafter, "three-punishment").

If we refer to this next round as "re-punishment", we are actually overlooking two prior rounds. I note your correction, and will henceforth refer to it as "the fourth round of punishment". My apologies.
Self sanctions have nothing to do with punishment as the NCAA is the entity that dishes out punishments. The attempts to lessen the sentence with self sanctions is a UNC decision that has nothing to do with sentencing. There are zero guarantees the NCAA will consider self sanctions now or in the future. In addition I believe the NCAA would laugh at some of these self sanctions and make the punishment worse for trying to get by with some of the bullshit UNC is trying to pull.

Self sanctioning is a dumb practice. The notion of self punishment is literally something that stops working after you reach five or six years old.

Saw a post on IC arguing that UNC will not get slammed because, although the egregiousness of the fraud was far greater at UNC than SMU, it was just academics in general and not specifically athletics. So I gues the "everybody does it" argument means that all UNC students can participate in academic scams and not just athletes.

Watching my UNC alum friends oscillate between "it was an academics issue" when you're talking about taking down banners to "it was an athletics issue" when you're talking about the value of their degree would actually be amusing if it wasn't so sad.

UNC's shitty little self sanctions do not count as punishment. The only reason that schools self sanction is to hopefully soften the blow from the NCAA, and it often doesn't work at all. A Tarhole complaining about the unfairness of "re-punishment" is ridiculous.

The NCAA has already imposed sanctions on the University of North Carolina, including forfeiting wins, scholarship restrictions and a postseason ban on its football team which kept it out of the 2012 ACC Championship Game, a berth UNC earned on the field of play with players not accused of any of the wrongdoing. This is the second investigation. These are the facts.

TWO PRONGS!!!!!!!

Back