• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

I get what you're saying in general, but I'm with your parents. At tourny time, I'll root for the ACC regardless of the team. The better the conference does, the more valuable Wake's position is, both in rep and in $$.

I agree.

The ACC made a record amount of cash (IIRC, over $20 million) in the NCAAs this year.

I get what you're saying in general, but I'm with your parents. At tourny time, I'll root for the ACC regardless of the team. The better the conference does, the more valuable Wake's position is, both in rep and in $$.

No.

ABCD

JHMD is right. It's $40M. $2.6M for each school paid out over 6 years.

and yet it only makes up like 5% of the total money brought in by the conference - most of the rest is football. That is why football drives conference decisions.

Cash gives your school the ability to gain an edge on your competitors, IF spent effectively. But if every single one of your competitors gets the same amount of cash, doesn't that lessen the impact to some degree?

Unless you could argue that our main competitors aren't our ACC brethren, but lesser schools from other conferences. In which case, I'd sadly have to listen to your argument.

Cash gives your school the ability to gain an edge on your competitors, IF spent effectively. But if every single one of your competitors gets the same amount of cash, doesn't that lessen the impact to some degree?

Unless you could argue that our main competitors aren't our ACC brethren, but lesser schools from other conferences. In which case, I'd sadly have to listen to your argument.

Properly managing the athletic department's resources is where we separate the wheat from the chaff. I'll wait for the laughter to die down...

Of course it does. The good teams get the same amount of money and the good pub because they're successful. We may get the money, but it doesn't really help us in relation to our conference foes. I've yet to see anyone give a tangible example where Duke or UNC winning a hoops title has helped us in the conference or where FSU winning a football title has helped in the conference. At best it raises the stature of the conference in relation to the other conferences and maybe we get guys because we're an ACC school, but in relation to the other conference teams I don't really think it helps us raise our stature in the conference which really is about all that matters. Case in point this season, we had a solid non-con season and an abysmal conference season.

I don't, the ACC has been doing well in the tournament for a long time now, where has that success helped us as far as results on the court. We're in the worst period in hoops in my lifetime.
The ACC does OK but it hasn't exactly been thought of as "the best conference" in quite a while. The Big10, Big East, and Big 12 have been considered the top lately. Just sayin. This year there is no doubt.

I don't know who you people are but there is never a scenario that I could imagine where I would come remotely close to pulling for Carolina in anything, anywhere at any time.

I don't know who you people are but there is never a scenario that I could imagine where I would come remotely close to pulling for Carolina in anything, anywhere at any time.

This man has some pride. Good for this man.

The ACC does OK but it hasn't exactly been thought of as "the best conference" in quite a while. The Big10, Big East, and Big 12 have been considered the top lately. Just sayin. This year there is no doubt.

The ACC has won the tourney 6 times since 2001, has any other conference done better?

This. ABCD (and mfncsu).

The ACC has won the tourney 6 times since 2001, has any other conference done better?
Big East....5 times since 2003, 6 since 1999. NCAA champ doesn't necessarily mean best conference either. Look at the Sagarin rankings. We've been 4th and 5th quite a bit lately. Or....look at the Big 10-ACC challenge. The ACC won the first 10 but have lost/tied the last 7. I don't think the ACC has been as well thought of nationally as people here think. Wake has done it's part dragging the league down but that's only a fraction of the story. The ACC has been struggling right when Wake is trying to get out of the hole.

But that certainly changed this year. Hopefully the ACC success will carry over to Wake recruiting.

What are the odds that UNC sees a number of players turn pro and then shortly thereafter reverses course and self-imposes a postseason ban on men's basketball for next season?

If they take that route they will have completely out maneuvered the NCAA.

Back