• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

Withering article by Duke Basketball Report
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com...years-in-the-ncaa-and-almost-get-away-with-it

So to sum it up: despite criminal charges being filed, despite several investigations including the Martin and Wainstein reports, despite being put on probation by the accreditation agency the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, despite Julius Peppers' damning transcript being made public, despite the lawsuit which revealed Michael McAdoo's plagiarism and began the exposure of wholesale systematic fraud, despite the other lawsuits by student-athletes, despite the unquestionable enrollment of dozens of football and men's basketball players in these fake classes, despite unauthorized grade changes, despite hiring an assistant men's basketball coach in Sean May without making clear that his degree was in fact earned (May talked extensively about taking independent study classes while at UNC which he said freed up his time considerably), which took place in the middle of the scandal in a giant middle finger to everyone, despite the NCAA investigation, football and men's basketball have a reasonable shot at getting away with a nearly 20-year effort to push players through school by means of fake classes taught in some cases without even the beard of a "professor" like Nyang'oro.

And there's no point in expecting honor out of UNC at this late date. It certainly won't seek to emulate Michigan.

Why Michigan?

Because after the Chris Webber scandal broke, a scandal that was basically about money rather than academic fraud, Michigan did everything it possibly could to set things straight, including removing the ill-gotten Final Four banners the Wolverines hung during his two years in Ann Arbor.

Or NC State for that matter, which made real and substantial efforts to fix problems that took place in the Valvano era.

UNC by contrast has behaved disgracefully.

the worst betrayal is how UNC has abandoned the courageous legacy of William C. Friday.

So to sum up how WBB will get hammered and FB and MBB are likely getting off the hook:

While all 3 sports teams were heavily involved in the paper classes and anything turned in on the back of a napkin, written in crayon, etc. would be enough to get an A or B, the fact that WBB had someone connected with the university wrote it for them is the determining factor. Sort of like if a fraternity was involved in a cheating scandal, it's o,k. as long as they did it on their own and someone connected with the university was not involved in giving them the test answers.

Obviously UNC was going to do whatever it took to discredit McCants, but there is at least SOME truth to what he was saying when the classes he says were fake are the ones that are under investigation, and his particular performance in those classes was:

"A copy of McCants' university transcript, labeled "unofficial" and obtained by "Outside the Lines," shows that in his non-African-American Studies classes, McCants received six C's, one D and three F's. In his African-American Studies classes, 10 of his grades were A's, six B's, one a C and one a D. The UNC registrar's office declined to send McCants an official, signed transcript because of a May 2005 hold on its release. According to the UNC athletic department, McCants had university property that had never been returned.”

I agree that McCants is an egotist and a liar, but even if you ignore everything he said, his academic record should have still been proof that this affected the men's bball team.

Take away the one A and nothing looks shocking to me there. I have no doubt his core classes were harder than the B.S. African American Studies classes, basically one grade above the core classes. However, this is exactly what UNC is claiming, look at the increased grade performance by non athletes and you will see it is a institutional problem. EVERYONE’s grades were significantly higher, the exact loophole UNC is using to prove their case. We all know it is B.S. and that it is a department everyone ran to for easy grades, but every school has these classes and it is not the NCAA duty to monitor them. Now proving he never took any of them or did any of the work is a completely different question, and one nobody, including the NCAA trusts McCants to answer.

Take away the one A and nothing looks shocking to me there. I have no doubt his core classes were harder than the B.S. African American Studies classes, basically one grade above the core classes. However, this is exactly what UNC is claiming, look at the increased grade performance by non athletes and you will see it is a institutional problem. EVERYONE’s grades were significantly higher, the exact loophole UNC is using to prove their case. We all know it is B.S. and that it is a department everyone ran to for easy grades, but every school has these classes and it is not the NCAA duty to monitor them. Now proving he never took any of them or did any of the work is a completely different question, and one nobody, including the NCAA trusts McCants to answer.

Now that is some bullshit. "Easy" classes as you describe are worlds of difference away from fraudulent classes that weren't real.

Now that is some bullshit. "Easy" classes as you describe are worlds of difference away from fraudulent classes that weren't real.

As is the "only AFAM department" line - there is evidence in the emails that Boxill helped create and/or steer athletes to similar independent studies courses (or "topic courses") in Geology, Anthropology, Communications...

I particularly enjoy the story of the one basketball player in desperate straits who was enrolled in TWO sections of GEOG 95 in a single summer session in the 1990s, making A’s in both sections.

http://paperclassinc.com/sacs-lies-and-audiotapes/

On the other hand, while the NCAA may not be able to tie anyone in basketball or football directly to the academic fraud, the fraud still exists. The transcripts still show the athletes who were enrolled in those "classes." It's entirely possible, and would be appropriate, if the NCAA voided every single event UNC won with an ineligible player, up to and including the Final Fours in 2005 and 2009.
How likely is this to happen?

Looks like WSoc and WBB are going to take the fall for UNC and MBball and Football are going to come out unscathed. 2 thoughts: I am surprised all the feminist and strong female alumna of UNC are not more up in arms about this... and 2: the NCAA should be disbanded or at least become the NAA because there is nothing Collegiate about them. If they don't think the Men's programs are at fault.... schedule interviews and testimonies with Rashad McCants and Julius Peppers... or better yet, interview everyone who took (or did not take, as it were) an African American Studies Class. I am extremely disappointed in the lack of integrity in the NCAA... and college presidents and athletic directors across the country for allowing the NCAA to roll over like this.....

Regardless of what the NCAA does to them, they cheated, period.

It is what it is. We're stupid enough to play by the damn rules and deserve our futility.

Kudos to them for getting away with it for 25 years and skating. We always knew they were a cash cow, this just reinforces it.

Here is the list of schools that received some sort of Accreditation Action from SACS in its June 2015 report. I think the NCAA should make this a separate athletic conference for a few years. LOL!

•Alabama State University, Montgomery, Alabama
•Bauder College, Atlanta, Georgia
•Bluefield College, Bluefield, Virginia
•Kentucky Wesleyan College, Owensboro, Kentucky
•Paine College, Augusta, Georgia
•South Carolina State University, Orangeburg, South Carolina
•St. Catharine College, St. Catharine, Kentucky
•Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, Alabama
•The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

It is what it is. We're stupid enough to play by the damn rules and deserve our futility.

Kudos to them for getting away with it for 25 years and skating. We always knew they were a cash cow, this just reinforces it.

DoofuscryingMJ.gif

This truly is some egregious horseshit that they are probs gonna avoid any real penalties. I doubt there will ever be a more deliberate cheating scandal in our lives that crosses athletics and academics. 30 for 30 will do their piece and the NCAA will end up profiting big time from letting these shit heads skate.

Ron should cancel the out of conference games he scheduled with the damn cheats imo.

If we want to win...we need to cheat too! The NCAA is a joke.

I'm frustrated with the performance of our revenue sports, too. But that frustration is preferable over MSD being exposed for having engaged in the level of blatant cheating in which UNC has engaged for three decades.

Fuck you doofus

I have a feeling there will be some "tell all" books from insiders who were mistreated and falsely accused. Whatever the NCAA does, I don't think it's over.

Meh. I stopped being surprised about being consistently correct years ago.

I wish somewhere I could have wagered on jhmd using the word "meh" in one of his early responses to this news.

Nothing is going to happen to their football or beloved basketball programs. With these revised allegations and everything being dumped on Sylvia and women's basketball, that is just the feeling I get--kind of like a person must get when divorce papers get dumped on them! That sinking feeling in the gut.

Back