• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

I don't really have any interest in watching college sports in the future if it's come to this. They have made a mockery of what it's supposed to be about and have been rewarded with 3 national championships.

Assuming wake goes with this ncaa approach l'm done with wake also.

So, let me see if I have this straight...UNC self reports more violations in other non-revenue sports and the NCAA completely reverses itself with regard to the revenue sports. Make total sense.

As I see it, they did not specifically exclude MBB and football but expanded it to include other sports. Although I know the pinking of those players as student athletes is a stretch.

You have to be right, Mini. I just can't see how, or why, the NCAA would walk back those charges now.

Keep in mind that there were no specific allegations against men's basketball or football in the original NOA, they were just mentioned specifically in the description of the LOIC allegation. It was as if the enforcement staff was doing their best to ensure that the infractions committee couldn't sidestep the revenue sports when penalties were handed down. So while it's unfortunate that the sentence was removed from the amended NOA, I think the bigger story is the removal of the impermissible benefits charge as well as the continued absence of any allegation that UNC used ineligible athletes.

So, let me see if I have this straight...UNC self reports more violations in other non-revenue sports and the NCAA completely reverses itself with regard to the revenue sports. Make total sense.

Truly amazing. A complete and total loss of credibility for the ncaa.

Even more amazing is they actually [Redacted]'d the investigation. Scratch that. [Redacted] was mostly just inept. The Wellman'd the in investigation with dishonesty, lies and lip service

It's OK guys. Was anyone here actually expecting true justice to be serviced by the Holes? While optimistic on the surface, I've kept realistic through this process knowing that the cheaters would skate and the NCAA would lose all credibility.

Time to start full-fledged cheating, ladies and gents.

If this all shakes out and the holes walk away virtually unpunished, I'd be willing to be there will be a lot of backlash for the NCAA. You gotta believe the majority of college presidents and ADs would have a serious problem with this. Say Hey Deac said it above, the NCAA is absolutely worthless.

I'm sure Syracuse and SMU are pretty pissed.

So, women's bball players and frat guys were taking the bogus AFAM classes but the men's bball and FB teams were not? Yeah, that's it!

I don't really have any interest in watching college sports in the future if it's come to this. They have made a mockery of what it's supposed to be about and have been rewarded with 3 national championships.
Same here. I'm going to have a lot of free time from now on. :wtf:

What ever happened to McCants' statements saying they cheated? How does that just go away?

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ll-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

You do know his track record right? First saying he never went to any of the classes, then dozens of pictures showing him there with other students. Claims he never did any work, but dozens of quotes after he made the ‘Prison” comment that was so popular back in the day, and he explained himself that the school work was too hard and too much of it.

Translation, the dude is a proven liar and the NCAA knows it. Busted out of the NBA and will do anything to get his face in front of a camera.

For the record I am one of the few UNC fans that sees the B.S. in all of this, but looking to McCants to support any claim is ridiculous at this point.

Last edited:
You do know his track record right? First saying he never went to any of the classes, then dozens of pictures showing him there with other students. Claims he never did any work, but dozens of quotes after he made the ‘Prison” comment that was so popular back in the day, and he explained himself that the school work was too hard and too much of it.

Translation, the dude is a proven liar and the NCAA knows it. Busted out of the NBA and will do anything to get his face in front of a camera.

For the record I am one of the few UNC fans that sees the B.S. in all of this, but looking to McCants to support any claim is ridiculous at this point.

Obviously UNC was going to do whatever it took to discredit McCants, but there is at least SOME truth to what he was saying when the classes he says were fake are the ones that are under investigation, and his particular performance in those classes was:

"A copy of McCants' university transcript, labeled "unofficial" and obtained by "Outside the Lines," shows that in his non-African-American Studies classes, McCants received six C's, one D and three F's. In his African-American Studies classes, 10 of his grades were A's, six B's, one a C and one a D. The UNC registrar's office declined to send McCants an official, signed transcript because of a May 2005 hold on its release. According to the UNC athletic department, McCants had university property that had never been returned."

I agree that McCants is an egotist and a liar, but even if you ignore everything he said, his academic record should have still been proof that this affected the men's bball team.

Last edited:
I'm sure Syracuse and SMU are pretty pissed.

This is going to be the interesting fall out from this process. The NCAA's other member schools will not be pleased with a result that allows UNC to escape major penalties for conduct that is so egregious as to be almost unbelievable.

This is going to be the interesting fall out from this process. The NCAA's other member schools will not be pleased with a result that allows UNC to escape major penalties for conduct that is so egregious as to be almost unbelievable.

Doubtful.

And one would be foolish not to think they will escape. Now i a not so sure about UNC maintaining academic certification. Just what the state needs these days.

Back