• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

And one would be foolish not to think they will escape. Now i a not so sure about UNC maintaining academic certification. Just what the state needs these days.

You really think that the Athletic Department will walk and the school will lose their academic certification? If that were to happen, the entire fucking faculty and alumni base would revolt against athletics. Despite what us internet homers think, the world cares more about academics than athletics. Although the money doesn't reflect it.

Will they go public expressing displeasure? I'm not sure about that, as there are politics and sensitivities involved. But rest assured they are unhappy and incredulous.

I just think most of the holes are right that "everyboby's doing it", so everyone will keep their mouths shut.

I just think most of the holes are right that "everyboby's doing it", so everyone will keep their mouths shut.

I don't think it's at all correct that everybody is setting up a detailed scheme of purported lecture classes that don't actually meet or independent studies/paper classes organized by a secretary that don't actually require any work and/or students submit obviously plagarized work (yet still receive passing grades from the secretary who grades the papers) and/or academic advisors write papers for the students. Most other universities have checks and balances to keep that kind of thing from happening, particularly over, I don't know, 20 years. There's a reason UNC's chancellor, provost and general counsel all turned over in the wake of this scandal. Let's not downplay the seriousness of what UNC has done. The NCAA may let them them skate, but it's still absurd.

I would expect Jim Boeheim to call BS. :popcorn:
He's old and pissed off enough to just not give a ....

Won't the charge of LOIC apply to men's basketball as well as the entire athletic department?

I don't think it's at all correct that everybody is setting up a detailed scheme of purported lecture classes that don't actually meet or independent studies/paper classes organized by a secretary that don't actually require any work and/or students submit obviously plagarized work (yet still receive passing grades from the secretary who grades the papers) and/or academic advisors write papers for the students. Most other universities have checks and balances to keep that kind of thing from happening, particularly over, I don't know, 20 years. There's a reason UNC's chancellor, provost and general counsel all turned over in the wake of this scandal. Let's not downplay the seriousness of what UNC has done. The NCAA may let them them skate, but it's still absurd.

The "check and balance" for UNC's MBB should have been as simple as Roy Frickin' Williams taking notice on 15-20 road trips per year that many of his top players never cracked a book. Either he knew about out the paper classes*, or he was so confident in their academic abilities that he had no concern that they would be able to do university-level course work w/o any study or preparation.

*he knew

Won't the charge of LOIC apply to men's basketball as well as the entire athletic department?

Yes. The infractions committee could choose to pull in football and men's basketball into the punishment for the LOIC, or they could choose to leave them out.

So it only took throwing WBB and a couple other non-revenue sports under the bus for UNC. It's a shame it didn't come down to throwing the football program under the bus to save the MBB program, it would've been interesting to see if they would've gone that far.

I wonder if the NCAA is sitting back to see how UNC self-sanctions. I'm probably just trying to retain some degree of optimism here, but maybe they're hoping for some kind of token self-sanctioning by UNC across all sports. Like a token 1 year postseason ban or something like that. That may even be in some kind of unspoken deal with UNC. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA accepts what UNC imposes upon itself.

So it only took throwing WBB and a couple other non-revenue sports under the bus for UNC. It's a shame it didn't come down to throwing the football program under the bus to save the MBB program, it would've been interesting to see if they would've gone that far.

If the WBB team gets punished worse to save the football and mens basketball team, then that's almost as appalling and embarrassing as the initial infractions.

If the WBB team gets punished worse to save the football and mens basketball team, then that's almost as appalling and embarrassing as the initial infractions.

If it gets football and MBB out of any kind of penalties, you think they care?

If it gets football and MBB out of any kind of penalties, you think they care?

Plus Slyvia Hatchell's cancer probably makes it likely a show cause on her won't be a problem. Really a pretty cold calculated move by unc.

NCAA Amended Notice of Allegations on UNC Perplexing, But Not Surprising

In my view, if there ever was an academic fraud case in NCAA athletics this was it. It has been comical to watch over the years how the university and the NCAA have responded via multiple reports and even the NCAA once declaring that there is nothing to see here-unless of course you are the Lady Tar Heel women’s basketball team.

In my view there is a lot to see here, and I am a bit flummoxed at the removal of the most serious allegations against football and men’s basketball and what seems to be a now direct target painted on the back of the Tar Heel women’s basketball program. Given the NCAA’s past inconsistencies and general unfairness of the process over the years, this really is what we all should have expected and maybe none of us ever should have held out hope the NCAA would do the right thing and send a message that academic integrity in college athletics is supposed to matter.

The NCAA could have sent a message as the current standards were clear and have been used in other cases-at least some of the time. The long and short of it is ultimately the NCAA wanted no part of this case and if they are able to run from an infractions case involving a major player like North Carolina they will do it. If there is enough pressure and facts from outside the organization, then they usually cave and sanction the big boys such as in the University of Southern California case (but alas they even screwed that up). However if they can find a loophole, they will jump on it. It took public pressure and great reporting from the Raleigh News and Observer and their crack reporting team lead by Dan Kane to shame the NCAA into coming back and UNC into the Wainstein Report.

The "check and balance" for UNC's MBB should have been as simple as Roy Frickin' Williams taking notice on 15-20 road trips per year that many of his top players never cracked a book. Either he knew about out the paper classes*, or he was so confident in their academic abilities that he had no concern that they would be able to do university-level course work w/o any study or preparation.

*he knew
Coaches are some of the most controlling people in the world. He knew exactly what was going on.

So what would happen if the WBB team gets tossed under the boss and the WBB coach pulls a Pete Bell and just goes nuclear in front of the press and talks about her conversations with Roy about the AFAM classes and how it was keeping his players eligible.

This NOA doesn't shut the door on these years does it?

There's nobody out there who honestly believes women's soccer and hoops got benefits men's hoops and football didn't. Nobody.

Nobody but the NCAA...

https://www.facebook.com/UNCmeme/ph...41828.634803379960430/965700913537340/?type=3

jtaxaq.jpg

Back