• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell About A Moment In Your Life When People Clapped For You

I was the last person to walk across the stage at my college graduation. The whole crowd and the rest of the graduates were going nuts.

Stole home once in a middle school baseball game. Popped up out of my slide and people were clapping and cheering

I wore a spandex Mario costume this weekend and won a marathon relay.

I played the National Anthem (as part of a quartet) at a Wake basketball game once.

Kinda sad when you think how few times in your life a clap was just for you, but I have received a few recently for helping raise money for causes that affected my friends. Made me more proud than and sports memory or school function.

Kinda sad when you think how few times in your life a clap was just for you, but I have received a few recently for helping raise money for causes that affected my friends. Made me more proud than and sports memory or school function.

We #millennials have had people clapping for us for everything our entire lives. #millennialbullshit

I had so many participation trophy claps growing up that my first meaningful applause meant jack shit to me

I was in a contestant in a pageant and won Miss Congeniality. I was on Homecoming Court for 2 years.

I think I peaked in high school.

Another was at a big Boy Scout Jamboree in 9th grade when I found out I had received my Eagle Scout Award.

It was the Saturday night gathering where all of the Scouts, probably a few hundred, were at the campfire for the end of the weekend celebrations. The head leader of the Jamboree got up front and went into about a 5 minute story about how few scouts make it to Eagle and all of the hard work and determination that must go into it. He then says there's a brand new Eagle Scout amongst us, and he calls my name to come front and center. The whole place erupted. It was a pretty awesome thing for a 14 year old freshman.

Won school geography bee in 4th grade.

(awkward transition)

Was working at a summer camp and during staff training week (no kids around, don't worry) did some work on my lady friend in a remote cabin and walked out to a dozen or so of our coworkers standing and clapping. Kinda awesome and hella awkward.

I took piano lessons starting at an early age. I was not only technically proficient, but also a bit flamboyant. I quickly became the star student of the Garvey Piano Academy, so I had the honor of performing last at all the piano recitals. All the piano parents and grandparents would cheer wildly after each of my performances. It was a pretty awesome experience for a socially-awkward little fat kid.

I once really brought it in a sermon. I shut it down though, as the point isn't me/the preacher. #humblebrag

I have done a lot of public speaking and gotten a lot of applause. Most of it was just polite. I didn't really think "Wow, these CPAs really, really loved my speech on the passive loss rules!!!"

I have a hard time remembering any incident in my life where I receive applause that was really meaningful. So, meh.

I won the US Army Reserve Scholar Athlete Award in high school.

When I got into Wake my parents were concerned by the cost so I contacted the US Army to talk about ROTC and the reserves. This was in '02 and obviously Iraq and Afghanistan were in the forefront of my parents minds so they said they would find a way to make it work and if I wanted to go that route to explore it in college.

Well, the recruiter that came to my house was the guy who came to present the award and my parents thought I had joined without telling them. I came of the stage expecting some congratulations and instead got WTF were you thinking not telling us.

In 7th grade I got 7th place in the district in a MathCounts competition and everyone clapped when names were announced for the Countdown Round to go head-to-head in front of everyone against people. On three questions I got one right, and 8th place got one right but neither got the third one right, so the higher person advanced (me), then I lost the same way to 6th place who went on to finish second.

I was on Prom Court in high school.

Back