• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell About A Moment In Your Life When People Clapped For You

i'm a music nerd, so there were multiple times in high school

been all downhill since

lots of gigs with bands. One of the ones that meant the most that I still look back fondly on was seeing Bernard Purdie in the audience watching me and paying attention to my playing, and applauding. Other notables were large-audience gigs with Queensryche, Dave Matthews Band, Hootie, Mother's Finest, others I can't remember off-hand. I guess they were clapping for the whole band but I'll take it.

Multiple times during choral concerts & variety shows.
Performed in several community theatre productions that were very well-received.
Applause on Jeopardy was pretty sweet too.

As a music kid, like others said, there have been lots of performances where people clapped at the end, but that was no biggie. As for meaningful, independent applause? Getting my Girl Scout Gold Award back in the day is the first I can really remember where I actually did something to earn it.
Lately I hear lots of encouraging applause during races, and that's cool.

A number of times growing up related to sports (special awards at the swim and dive banquets, first teams all blah blah blah for softball and field hockey, and senior night at FH getting introduced with parents). Also got a couple of random awards in HS at the end of year ceremonies that I'm sure had some clapping involved.

In adult life, definitely got it at our wedding when we were introduced. Also last year at our big annual conference I had just had my baby a few weeks before (so I was on maternity leave), but we brought her over for the reception and my boss called us up to the front and introduced the baby and people clapped.

Only once? You gotta be bringing it every Sunday.

Oh, I do. It was a time after my boss had been on disability for several months and I was running the show for a while. Someone said something like "thanks for all you've done, and that sermon was great," and folks started clapping. But I always bring it.

In 7th grade I got 7th place in the district in a MathCounts competition and everyone clapped when names were announced for the Countdown Round to go head-to-head in front of everyone against people. On three questions I got one right, and 8th place got one right but neither got the third one right, so the higher person advanced (me), then I lost the same way to 6th place who went on to finish second.

I was on Prom Court in high school.

I think we have a winner for most pathetic applause.

Valedictorian at my HS
Senior Awards night in HS
Employee of the Year

Hit a walk-off three run homer in Senior League at NW Forsyth Little League in the semis of the tournament when I was 15. Also, at Sr. day in high school I won the John Phillip Sousa award for band.

I dominated that 24 challenge math game back in middle school. I won 1st place in my county 3yrs straight so that was fun. Then I went to Districts and I did OK but I realized the genius kids would tap the card instantly and use the allotted 5 seconds to come up with the correct answer.

12-04_1.jpg

Walked in an 8 footer to force a playoff in the club member guest a few years back.

I dominated that 24 challenge math game back in middle school. I won 1st place in my county 3yrs straight so that was fun. Then I went to Districts and I did OK but I realized the genius kids would tap the card instantly and use the allotted 5 seconds to come up with the correct answer.

12-04_1.jpg

4/(1/3) = 12 * 2 = 24 *1 = 24

YESSSSS

I did that also.

I won my high school's pageant senior year. I played the violin growing up. Used to be in a traveling singing/dancing group in high school, lots of plays and stuff. And now and then, the occasional karaoke bar performance.

Last edited:
My doctoral defense and my hooding.
Salutatorian speech in high school.
Lots of forensics and debate competitions/awards.

Back