• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about European football clubs

I think one of the best ways to sell the league to new/casual American fans is to say it's the most fair league in terms of scoring and championships in the world. 20 teams, each one plays everyone else twice, one home once away, total of 38 games. Win is 3 point, draw is 1 point, loss is 0 points. Team with the most points end of season wins the league. The American fan will bemoan the lack of playoffs/tournaments, to which you can respond that there are tons of tournaments and chances at trophies, some intraleague and some interleague.

The "fairness" argument is pretty compelling to most Americans.

Not sure a Leeds situation could arise again in today's game, but it's perhaps the best Cinderella story in all of sports (after this year's Liverpool team).

Leeds from the early 2000s? Nearly bankrupted that club and sent them down to the 3rd division for a few years while they regrouped.

If it wasn't Leeds scum I would feel bad for them.

Nice tool showing where clubs finished in the league and their respective wage bill over the past 3 seasons:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...gue-finances-performance-wage-bill?CMP=twt_gu

Not to derail the thread too much, but that's why - despite his at times apparently schizophrenic dealings with managers - Spurs fans like Daniel Levy. When you consistently finish on the left hand side of the curve (i.e - better league finish than your wage bill would indicate) and wages are kept below 75% of turnover (so the club is healthy and in no danger of pulling a Leeds/Blackburn/QPR), you can't ask that much more from a chairman.

Leeds from the early 2000s? Nearly bankrupted that club and sent them down to the 3rd division for a few years while they regrouped.

I feel like those Blackburn teams, including the one that won the league, were a better story. Just a local guy who wanted to see his boyhood team win big, so he basically emptied his pockets into them and managed to built a tremendously fun and very good squad.

I feel like those Blackburn teams, including the one that won the league, were a better story. Just a local guy who wanted to see his boyhood team win big, so he basically emptied his pockets into them and managed to built a tremendously fun and very good squad.

Yeah. But after winning that title in 95 they finished 7th the next season.

7th the year after winning i?!?! HOW HORRIBLE. Who could do such a pathetic thing?

David-Moyes-008.jpg

Yeah BSF stop being such a fucking dumbass and do dv's homework assignment.

Look past the condescending tone and the general tact of a sledgehammer and be a Man U fan immediately. After all, you've had 48 hours to learn about this shit.

The idea that my beloved Hull City Tigers, or whatever the fuck they're called, will never have a legitimate chance to win a championship, is a tough pill to swallow.

WHOA WHOA WHOA this ANTI-AMERICAN propaganda is no way to win SOCCER fans

The idea that my beloved Hull City Tigers, or whatever the fuck they're called, will never have a legitimate chance to win a championship, is a tough pill to swallow.

They can win one of the biggest trophies (FA Cup) in a little over two weeks, however

I am still a Blackburn fan to this day. Got the scarf, coffee mug - the works

Yeah, lol at using "parity" and "PL" in the same sentence.

That's why promotion/relegation is so fantastic. Will Sunderland supporters ever sniff Europe? Not unless they somehow win an FA Cup. However, they have another battle that lasts until the very last hour of the season: staying up.

so if you win the FA cup you get a europa league spot?

Hull City have a very real chance to win a championship on the 17th of this month.

so if you win the FA cup you get a europa league spot?

Hull likely don't even need to win it. Just by reaching the final they should wind up in the Europa League.

The CL may be a far-off dream (though clubs like Newcastle and Aston Villa more than sniffed it in the not-too recent past) but plenty of "smaller" clubs have participated in Europa in the recent past. Bolton, Wigan, Birmingham City, Swansea City, Middlesbrough, Millwall, etc. And nearly my bois :tear:

Last edited:

One of my WBOC-Delmarva Report housemates from 1991-93 was a Leeds scum. Turned me into a footie fan. We used to watch tapes of weeks old matches that his brother would send him. Still have my 1993 Leeds jersey. One day they will be back with the big boys and I will be happy Leeds scum!!!!

How can you hate a bunch of Yorkshiremen?

You can't. Yorkshire is a lovely place, and despite Leeds' faults, it is a hell of a lot better than Manchester. I'll be there in a couple of weeks, in fact.

I don't like this relegation bullshit. Seems like it would destroy rivalries and makes it tough for the smaller market teams.

Also, keep in mind, unlike American sports, rivalries aren't primarily based on friction between cities -- they are, instead, based on relationships between communities and industries and ethnicities and cultures. It would be like if Boston had Major League Baseball teams hailing from Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, and Southie.

BTW, who watched the two Europa League semis yesterday? I wish they hadn't been on at the same time - had to flip back and forth. Great stuff.

NUFC.jpg

Join us. You're a Wake fan so the transition should be easy. Lots of black clothing? Check. Used to moments of success followed by much more frequent instances of crushing disappointment? Check. Big enough a club to get your hopes up, but not quite big enough to get/keep the big superstar players? Check.

It's seamless.

Back