• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

The first 4 sets were quality, but short on drama. The fifth set was awesome. An amazing push by Federer to get back on serve and then break for the win.

I didn't post earlier due to fear of spoiler alert. I didn't get to sit down and really watch until late in the second. Lots of great shots, but I just kept saying "let it go five." It did. And you're right, it was awesome. For many reasons, one of the best AO Finals I've seen.

Neither did I. Can't remember which final he lost a couple years ago where he had this look on his face like, yep that was the last chance. So happy for him. Pretty much guarantees he won't get passed by the other guys imo.

Neither did I. Can't remember which final he lost a couple years ago where he had this look on his face like, yep that was the last chance. So happy for him. Pretty much guarantees he won't get passed by the other guys imo.

I'm not counting Djok out yet.

Woke up at 3:30 and watched the whole thing. Currently running on fumes.

Pretty sure I woke up the entire hotel I was staying in with that one point in the fifth set

Maybe not that big of a surprise. A former #1 player at Wake says the sport is completely dirty with PED's.

Not sure how much I buy this. I'm sure there's some, but tour-level players get tested fairly regularly. Probably more common at the lower levels where testing is less frequent

Woke up at 3:30 and watched the whole thing. Currently running on fumes.

Pretty sure I woke up the entire hotel I was staying in with that one point in the fifth set

That point was bonkers. Even my wife (who I have to explain the scoring system every gd time to) was getting hype.

After watching the match I had to get out and play in the 50 degree weather.

That point was bonkers. Even my wife (who I have to explain the scoring system every gd time to) was getting hype.

After watching the match I had to get out and play in the 50 degree weather.

Chris Fowler was talking about this in an interview with SI this morning, but I don't think any sport can match the drama of tennis. It's capable of producing so many amazing individual moments

Here's the point for anyone who didn't see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=cDv6uCyq8OE

Last edited:
Pretty cool. Hadn't seen it before. Presented to Fed at Rafa's academy opening.

d80e9f9e79ad1e724f71a7c7eda5e031.jpg

Not sure how much I buy this. I'm sure there's some, but tour-level players get tested fairly regularly. Probably more common at the lower levels where testing is less frequent

He said Sharapova tested positive 7 times prior for what she got suspended two years for. Said it's the same thing the Russian Olympic team was doing. Said it's impossible for these guys to recover after 5 set matches and play the way they do in short turnaround times. People used to think it was legit when older MLB players started putting up big numbers in their mid and late 30s. Everyone knows better now.

Probs not identical, but doping is pretty ubiquitous in cycling and track too, and they test everybody all the time. Dopers just stay one step ahead of testers.

He said Sharapova tested positive 7 times prior for what she got suspended two years for. Said it's the same thing the Russian Olympic team was doing. Said it's impossible for these guys to recover after 5 set matches and play the way they do in short turnaround times. People used to think it was legit when older MLB players started putting up big numbers in their mid and late 30s. Everyone knows better now.

She was on meldonium, which was only banned a few months before her positive test. The ITF has a pretty strong anti-doping operation these days. The bigger problem is match-fixing at the lower levels of the sport, in my opinion.

Sharapova was the best example he had, and he said the sport is completely dirty with PEDs?
Seems like a weak example to make his point with. Highest paid female athlete in world gets suspended for 2 years. Not denying there is significant PED use in tennis (Nadal is heavily rumored to use PEDs), so I am sure there are many other examples out there for him to make that statement.

Kyrgios has all the physical tools to win but don't think he'll ever put it together. Dude went apeshit on a fan after losing a tiebreak point.

Back