• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Terrible Children on a bus

it's not living in fear. charles manson aside...

do you wear a seatbelt? to me, locking the front door is like buckling a seatbelt. I don't intend for anything bad to happen when I'm out in my car or at home in my house, nor do I drive/sit around in fear waiting for something to happen. However, I do try to make my environment as safe as possible so that if something were to go down, I have a greater chance of seeing the other side of the situation.

i understand where awakeknight is coming from with the not-living-in-fear thing. and quite honestly, nearly every day when i go out for a run, i don't lock the door behind me because that way i don't have to carry a key. i also frequently leave it unlocked if i know somebody is coming over, so that they can just go ahead and walk in (which is unbelievably lazy on my part, but getting up and walking across the room to open the door takes effort). but the rest of the time, it takes approximately zero effort to just flip the lock the second i walk in the door. why not just use the slightest bit of extra caution. chances are it will never matter. but it takes NO time/effort at all, so i don't really understand why anybody WOULDN'T do it, unless it's just a principle-of-the-matter thing.

i understand where awakeknight is coming from with the not-living-in-fear thing. and quite honestly, nearly every day when i go out for a run, i don't lock the door behind me because that way i don't have to carry a key. i also frequently leave it unlocked if i know somebody is coming over, so that they can just go ahead and walk in (which is unbelievably lazy on my part, but getting up and walking across the room to open the door takes effort). but the rest of the time, it takes approximately zero effort to just flip the lock the second i walk in the door. why not just use the slightest bit of extra caution. chances are it will never matter. but it takes NO time/effort at all, so i don't really understand why anybody WOULDN'T do it, unless it's just a principle-of-the-matter thing.

yeah, this. i also don't lock it for runs and try to leave it open if someone is coming.

also, let's be honest. my dog is a barker. like a REALLY bad barker. and i've got at least one neighbor who can't stand her. i'm slightly worried that if i were to ever leave my door unlocked, he would come open the door and make it seem like my dog "ran away."

If a half second flip of a lock can lower the risk of a breakin from .00002 to .00001, then it's mind boggling to not do so, only to be able to tell yourself "I'm a tough guy, I don't live in fear".

For the record, I have been broken into when leaving the front door unlocked, when I fell asleep reading and forgot to do so. So yes it happens. Do I know the robber wouldn't have broken in otherwise? No, but I certainly made it easier for him and I would have heard and been able to react to the break-in if the door had been locked.

I love that locking your door = living in fear. I would counter that AWK is in fact the one living in fear. You fear living in fear so much, that you by definition live in fear everyday

Last edited:
it's not living in fear. charles manson aside...

do you wear a seatbelt? to me, locking the front door is like buckling a seatbelt. I don't intend for anything bad to happen when I'm out in my car or at home in my house, nor do I drive/sit around in fear waiting for something to happen. However, I do try to make my environment as safe as possible so that if something were to go down, I have a greater chance of seeing the other side of the situation.

Well I think it's obvious that you live in abject fear of car accidents as well.

Yeah, it's a solid decision to live in abject fear of something that has less chance of happening to you than you being killed via shark attack.

Whatever, I'm pretty sure you're more likely to have your TV, jewelry, and laptop stolen than being eaten by a shark.

Obviously, AWakeKnight lives in a good neighborhood where he feels safe, so he doesn't lock the door. Perhaps he will counter, but I find it hard to believe that if he lived is a not so nice neighborhood that his wife would agree to the leave-the-house-unlocked policy.

Obviously, AWakeKnight lives in a good neighborhood where he feels safe, so he doesn't lock the door. Perhaps he will counter, but I find it hard to believe that if he lived is a not so nice neighborhood that his wife would agree to the leave-the-house-unlocked policy.

even then though, lots of times nice neighborhoods are the ones subject to break-ins, because they're the people who actually have stuff valuable enough to steal.

even then though, lots of times nice neighborhoods are the ones subject to break-ins, because they're the people who actually have stuff valuable enough to steal.

Agreed, I don't understand the reasoning myself, I mean what does it hurt to take a simple precaution? But it's their life, to each his own. I'm just surprised his wife goes along with it. Would never happen in my house, no matter where we lived.

"I try to live my life by some of the words on here."

"Is the word fat on there?"

Have to admit, that one made me chuckle.

I think it's weird everyone is surprised by this. Kids at that age are pure evil, especially in groups. As soon as she admitted to crying she was toast.

That is a blanket statement that is not true. There is not a chance in hell that would have happened on a bus when I was a kid. We were raised much better than that and if some toad did start it, there would have been several folks who would have put a stop to it. Fast forward to the kids of today and you may have a point. I just shake my head at what I see on a daily basis.

Last edited:
However, this would never have gone over on my middle school bus to Hanes Academic Academy. We had all manner of ghetto and suburban kids on that bus scared shitless of our busdriver, who would yell racial slurs at us every morning when we got on (the first day of school, she took one look at my last name, and for three years, called me Polack). We were all too scared to do much of anything. SOLID defensive tactics there. She also would not tolerate us messing with the windows, and would frequently drive the side of the bus into tree branches hanging over the road and just impale us through the windows, and yell at us to sit down.

This is why Townie leads the world in rep. Fuckin' A, that is funny.

I love that locking your door = living in fear. I would counter that AWK is in fact the one living in fear. You fear living in fear so much, that you by definition live in fear everyday

grampva.png

The donation fund for this woman has exploded to over $440,000 as of 9am this morning. It was at $380K last night. It's like a lottery. Reports now saying the kids involved are receiving death threats. This is getting out of control.

Back