• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2012 Official MLB Baseball Thread (Mother's basement edition)

Marlins trading Buehrle, Josh Johnson and Reyes to the Blue Jays, according to Morosi. What in the world? The Marlins are non-stop entertainment.

tumblr_m8s22yJlzL1rsui0uo1_500.gif

Hahaha. OMG, can we have Stanton please Mr. Loria???

edit:

Giancarlo Stanton @Giancarlo818
Alright, I'm pissed off!!! Plain & Simple

Last edited:
Blue Jays are going to be prettay prettay good.

Selig should step in like he did with McCourt. This can't continue

Selig should step in like he did with McCourt. This can't continue

He can't do it after allowing the BOS/LAD trade to go through. That'd be a blatant double standard... though I can't say I like the new trend of mega salary dumps.

Loria is a fucking scumbag, though, and this trade is just another drop in the bucket. An unveiled fuck you aimed right at the city of Miami. What a guy.

Anyone know what recourse the MLBPA has to combat all these salary dumps? I remember seeing something about certain requirements for the top 10 markets to carry certain levels of payroll, or something like that. I think it was in a Ken Rosenthal article having to do with Houston's salary dump this past year.

Random thought: Holy fucknuts would I have loved to have been a fly on the wall when AA got the call from Miami. He must have been trying so hard to hide his glee. Part of me wants to believe the Marlins were putting something like Reyes/Buehrle/Benifacio and he demanded Johnson, too, just for shits. That'd have been awesome.

Random thought: Holy fucknuts would I have loved to have been a fly on the wall when AA got the call from Miami. He must have been trying so hard to hide his glee. Part of me wants to believe the Marlins were putting something like Reyes/Buehrle/Benifacio and he demanded Johnson, too, just for shits. That'd have been awesome.
Apparently the talks started a week or two ago. He told one of his friends that he had something in the works, but was very doubtful it would happen. Got it done, though.

And the AL East continues to be the most difficult league in baseball. Even when the Yankees and Red Sox are arguably the 4th and 5th best teams right now.

Anyone know what recourse the MLBPA has to combat all these salary dumps? I remember seeing something about certain requirements for the top 10 markets to carry certain levels of payroll, or something like that. I think it was in a Ken Rosenthal article having to do with Houston's salary dump this past year.

I don't know anything about that requirement. However, the players are all still being paid, just by a different team. I don't see why MLBPA would have any interest in this.

Marlins trading Buehrle, Josh Johnson and Reyes to the Blue Jays, according to Morosi. What in the world? The Marlins are non-stop entertainment.

Well said, avalon. The contemporary version started with Ozzie. That was the first head-scratcher. And since it has been reported that they threw in Bonafacio, it just keeps getting better.

ETA: Ruben, whether it's Mike, Giancarlo, Steve, Pablo or fucking Shirley, go get him. Make it happen.

Last edited:
Pissed or not, I see no way the Marlins trade Stanton unless someone gives them a huge deal. He is cheap for 4 more years.

Nor do I. I was being facetious. However, I think both avalon and I figure that in the midst of all this madness, don't move your net, just in case another fish jumps.

Unlike you guys, I don't see the trade being that great for the Blue Jays. Sure it might work for a year or two, but long-term its gonna be a dagger.

Unlike you guys, I don't see the trade being that great for the Blue Jays. Sure it might work for a year or two, but long-term its gonna be a dagger.

The Jays aren't that far away - this trade could get them back in the playoffs for the first time in 20ish years - I think that is what they are going for. The only big contract here is Reyes, and yes, that will hurt in a few years, most likely.

Their lineup with Bautista, Encarnacion, Lawrie and Reyes should be good - and if Rasmus or Lind can find whatever it was they had, this team could have a good shot at a wild card. Johnson, Buerhle, Romero, Morrow and Drabek are not the worst starting staff either.

Nor do I. I was being facetious. However, I think both avalon and I figure that in the midst of all this madness, don't move your net, just in case another fish jumps.

Doesn't hurt to make a call. (And apparently, at least one GM did, and was quickly rebuffed.)

It is a little strange that this trade is being viewed as a universal win for the Blue Jays when the signings by the Marlins last year were at least a bit questionable. But, I don't know, Reyes for 6/$92MM, Buehrle for 3/$43MM, and Johnson for 1/$13.75MM doesn't seem too killer to me, as long as they have some cash to spend. (And I assume they must if they made the trade.) I'm still trying to figure out how the Marlins didn't get Travis d'Arnaud.

I believe a few of those are backloaded like a mugg too. They'll be hard to get rid of.

I don't know anything about that requirement. However, the players are all still being paid, just by a different team. I don't see why MLBPA would have any interest in this.

Google machine found the language I was thinking about, from a Rosenthal article on the Astros' miniscule payroll (Astros are projected to bring in revenue well over $100m next year, and yet their payroll is peanuts.)

It's not a requirement at all. I was wrong about that. More just about the union's power generally.

Here it is:

No one with the commissioner’s office or players’ union is likely to object to the Astros’ cutbacks. The team is under new ownership, embarking upon a new plan. And according to the new labor agreement, the Astros — as a team playing in one of baseball’s 15 largest markets — no longer will be eligible for revenue sharing by 2014. That essentially would eliminate any say that the union might have in the matter.

Besides, the union generally does not frown upon clubs dramatically reducing their payrolls for strategic purposes, provided that those teams demonstrate a long-term intention to increase spending.

MLB should have a provision in their CBA like the Sterling Rule in the NBA. Because Donald Sterling had been so cheap for so long they had a minimum salary that any team could spend and hefty fines for not reaching it.

Back