• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my mind it depends on who we're able to re-sign

True, although I think the unit with the most of the players we need to re-sign are the secondary. I'm fine going BPA in the early rounds aside from QB or LB. We have top priorities and second tier priorities. We need depth at every position except QB and LB.

The next step in being a master GM is to do what the Patriots do better than anyone: trade/oversell guys that are really just products of the system that you have made look like objective all pros.

So many teams will trade insane amounts of future picks for guys they think will help them win now, but in reality, they were only good because of a system. We lose a guy, but we can just plug another in, and now we have extra draft picks to work with.

Last edited:
A great OL can make many RBs look good. I'd buy on OL and sell on RBs. J-Stew may get traded so we can see the glory of CAP next year.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more CAP. Can't see trading Stew. We don't have a great OL. Stew is among league leaders in broken tackles. He's doing a lot of work himself. I can't see anybody trading for the last year of his contract. I could see him taking a home town discount and being the #2 back for a reasonable paycheck for a 30+ year old RB.

Cap numbers for next year to consider potential roster moves, only 4 big money contracts to look at:

Jared Allen is gone, 8.5 million cap hit, if cut 0 dead money, 8.5 million saved

Charles Johnson cap hit - 15 million, if cut 4 million in dead money, 11 million saved

JStew cap hit - 9.5 million, if cut 3.8 million in dead money, 5.75 million saved

Roman Harper cap hit - 4.6 million, if cut 300,000 dead, 4.3 million saved

Gettleman has done a great job after inheriting a cap mess. The books other than those contracts, which now can be eaten if need be, are incredibly clean.

Last edited:
Cap numbers for next year to consider potential roster moves, only 4 big money contracts to look at:

Jared Allen is gone, 8.5 million cap hit, if cut 0 dead money, 8.5 million saved

Charles Johnson cap hit - 15 million, if cut 4 million in dead money, 11 million saved

JStew cap hit - 9.5 million, if cut 3.8 million in dead money, 5.75 million saved

Roman Harper cap hit - 4.6 million, if cut 300,000 dead, 4.3 million saved

Gettleman has done a great job after inheriting a cap mess. The books other than those contracts, which now can be eaten if need be, are incredibly clean.

Thanks. I thought we would be on the hook for more with Stew. Allen and Harper are gone. That would help pay for Norman's contract.

Johnson is probably gone too. That's one reason I see Gman going DE early. It's going to be time to flip it around and spend at DT while doing DE for cheap. Maybe that was the plan all along.

Allen/Harper are no brainers. Meh on Stewart. Would like to see us try and keep Johnson but would understand the cut if saving 11,000,000.00

Thanks. I thought we would be on the hook for more with Stew. Allen and Harper are gone. That would help pay for Norman's contract.

Johnson is probably gone too. That's one reason I see Gman going DE early. It's going to be time to flip it around and spend at DT while doing DE for cheap. Maybe that was the plan all along.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Johnson get a re-structured deal that gets him his money over a couple of years. I would think that paying him through his age 31 season would be a good value for the panthers.

Could Charles restructure his contract for a lower cap hit? He's done it before, no?

Makes that Ealy draft pick 2 years ago look really smart now

cam.height.png

cam.vertical.png

cam.40.png

Could Charles restructure his contract for a lower cap hit? He's done it before, no?

Twice he's converted base salary to bonus to spread out the hit, but 2016 is the last year of his deal so he couldn't do that anymore. He could just straight up take a pay cut on his final year 10.75 million base if he wants to be generous.

Allen is without a doubt gone. Keeping him was never a possibility. Harper will be gone. Gettleman likes his linemen too much to let CJ go, even with his cost. We have plenty of cap space next year. Of course if we can get 2-3 starting caliber players with that cap savings, say a cheaper DE and a good WR, then I'm all for it. I'm on the fence with Stewart. I was thinking he'd be gone after this year but since we haven't seen any CAP I think the plan is to keep him. Given his success I'm confident that Gettleman will do what is best.

Allen/Harper are no brainers. Meh on Stewart. Would like to see us try and keep Johnson but would understand the cut if saving 11,000,000.00

I wouldn't be shocked to see Johnson get a re-structured deal that gets him his money over a couple of years. I would think that paying him through his age 31 season would be a good value for the panthers.

$11M is a lot of money. I think it depends on GMan's plan to pay Short and Norman. I think you've got to pay them. In fact, Short may be a bargain because he hasn't quite peaked and gotten to the point where he would command a Top 5 salary (> $10M a year). Norman could legitimately get offered a highest paid CB contract from somebody. I think GMan would likely offer something around Luke's contract (~ $12.4M a year).

When you pick 31/32, you take BPA of what falls through the draft. If Panthers were in that position this past year, then S Landry Collins or DE Randy Gregory would have been our pick. You can't go into the draft really expecting one of those two to actually fall to you. So yeah, make a plan, but be wiling to accept the gift the league gives you.

Twice he's converted base salary to bonus to spread out the hit, but 2016 is the last year of his deal so he couldn't do that anymore. He could just straight up take a pay cut on his final year 10.75 million base if he wants to be generous.

I could see him doing that. I think he seriously loves being a Panther.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back