• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ten years is a long ass time. If he'd only been there a few years I could see it, but everybody's got a shelf life

The coaching staff in GB has grown stale. Feel like they need to make some changes there to get over the top.

And their D is just blah.

But they do get a second-place sched and they get the NFC East/AFC South combo I think someone benefited from this year. Seattle at home too. Will be a good litmus test for their ability to win a ring as currently constructed

Generally, firing coaches (particularly successfully ones) typically brings mediocrity or worse. They are reasons why the Steelers, Pats and Packers (yes, even the Bengals) make the playoffs every year while the Browns, Titans and Bucs do not. Coaching stability is important.

This is what teams who don't win regularly think. They'll change some coaches, but McCarthy needs to stay. I could take or leave Capers, but the defense started to play well in the playoffs.

Dear god I hope so. His (mostly conservative) decisions usually cost the Packers a shot at an extra win or two each year. Still can't believe he didn't give Rodgers a shot at the 2-point conversion for the win in Arizona.

Dear god I hope so. His (mostly conservative) decisions usually cost the Packers a shot at an extra win or two each year. Still can't believe he didn't give Rodgers a shot at the 2-point conversion for the win in Arizona.

I don't know that any coach would have done it. Easy to second guess in hindsight. Pack had all the momentum and Carson was throwing more passes to Packer DBs than his own receives. He made a play, OT rules suck, and there you have it. If Shields hadn't dropped an easy pick-6 with 4 minutes left, we wouldn't be talking about it. We'd be talking about how the Packers lost 49-14 against the Panthers in the NFC championship.

It was already a great rivalry. People just hadn't noticed yet.

All the games have been close, grinders. They were a nemesis in my mind.

Until this glorious season, of course. Now it's proper rivalry.

Not disagreeing with the concept of going for 2 for the regulation win, instead of playing for OT, but to act like McCarthy is a dope, or different from every other NFL coach, for doing it is wrong. Name one NFL coach that went for 2 in that situation ever. Everybody in the NFL kicks the PAT to play for OT, not just McCarthy.

Not disagreeing with the concept of going for 2 for the regulation win, instead of playing for OT, but to act like McCarthy is a dope, or different from every other NFL coach, for doing it is wrong. Name one NFL coach that went for 2 in that situation ever. Everybody in the NFL kicks the PAT to play for OT, not just McCarthy.

I'd argue this is just to save their own ass, even if they thought going for 2 was the better option. You go for two and don't make it, the coach is blamed, while following the "conventional wisdom" of kicking and playing for OT puts the loss on the players. It's gonna take some coaches to truly buy into the logic dictated by analytics to get the trend going before it'll be totally accepted.

Barnwell with a great article on 10 moves that defined the 2015 Panthers: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ina-panthers-losers-cusp-super-bowl-title-nfl

One of the links in the article is to a Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel article before the 2011 draft where 24 NFL personnel men were anonymously interviewed about Cam, and 13 said he'd either be a bust or play without ever turning into an effective quarterback. If you go to the Journal-Sentinel's site and browse the reader comments underneath that story, there's some solid stuff:

"This guy is Vince Young 2.0. Are you kidding me? Can't believe Panthers are considering taking a guy who started 11 games in college. Gonna set back their franchise another 10 years. Did anyone see Gruden's QB Camp on ESPN with this guy...doesn't even know proper play calling verbage! At Auburn they had to dumb it down for him. Ugh, really feel bad for whomever drafts this kid."

"It was over for him the second he surreally stated that more than being a great athlete, he was looking forward to becoming an icon. Shows where his head is at, stars in his eyes but no game...Ten-to-one against him ever being anything special, Kordell Stewart level is his high end. Amazingly, Tebow will be much better."

"If the Panthers draft him #1 your going to see fans start giving away their tickets becuase no one will want to watch the team do what the lions did."

"The best QB's in this league are smarter than they are athletic. Cam Newton is incredibly athletic. And, unfortunately, incredibly stupid from a football perspective. Never in his life has he seen a playbook he understood as is. Always needing it to be dumbed down to his intelligence level."

"I would not want him on my team. Great college player, likely to be a bust in the Pro's. A QB who is not very accurate, is a sure sign of a bust waiting to happen."

"Russell 2.0. His first NFL workout was horrible with passes sailing WAY over receivers heads. Anyway, I've never been impressed with running QBs trying to make it the NFL. He's a scrub and a waste of $50mm in guaranteed money."

More: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/120328204.html?page=1#!page=1&pageSize=50&sort=newestfirst

Those comments tl;dr he's black and therefore dumb and lazy.

Barnwell with a great article on 10 moves that defined the 2015 Panthers: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ina-panthers-losers-cusp-super-bowl-title-nfl

One of the links in the article is to a Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel article before the 2011 draft where 24 NFL personnel men were anonymously interviewed about Cam, and 13 said he'd either be a bust or play without ever turning into an effective quarterback. If you go to the Journal-Sentinel's site and browse the reader comments underneath that story, there's some solid stuff:

"This guy is Vince Young 2.0. Are you kidding me? Can't believe Panthers are considering taking a guy who started 11 games in college. Gonna set back their franchise another 10 years. Did anyone see Gruden's QB Camp on ESPN with this guy...doesn't even know proper play calling verbage! At Auburn they had to dumb it down for him. Ugh, really feel bad for whomever drafts this kid."

"It was over for him the second he surreally stated that more than being a great athlete, he was looking forward to becoming an icon. Shows where his head is at, stars in his eyes but no game...Ten-to-one against him ever being anything special, Kordell Stewart level is his high end. Amazingly, Tebow will be much better."

"If the Panthers draft him #1 your going to see fans start giving away their tickets becuase no one will want to watch the team do what the lions did."

"The best QB's in this league are smarter than they are athletic. Cam Newton is incredibly athletic. And, unfortunately, incredibly stupid from a football perspective. Never in his life has he seen a playbook he understood as is. Always needing it to be dumbed down to his intelligence level."

"I would not want him on my team. Great college player, likely to be a bust in the Pro's. A QB who is not very accurate, is a sure sign of a bust waiting to happen."

"Russell 2.0. His first NFL workout was horrible with passes sailing WAY over receivers heads. Anyway, I've never been impressed with running QBs trying to make it the NFL. He's a scrub and a waste of $50mm in guaranteed money."

More: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/120328204.html?page=1#!page=1&pageSize=50&sort=newestfirst

The Barnwell article was very good. It leaves you so conflicted over Hurney. Reading over #6, it is amazing how unbelievably bad some of those contracts were. They were bad at the time and they don't look any better in hindsight. Yet he did hire Rivera and draft Cam, Luke, and Norman. So his draft success would leave you thinking that the guy has an eye for talent. But then you're puzzled further, because you can't reconcile that with the Armanti debacle. We would not be where we are today without Hurney, but the converse is that we would not be where we are today if we still had Hurney. It's bizarre.

The Barnwell article was very good. It leaves you so conflicted over Hurney. Reading over #6, it is amazing how unbelievably bad some of those contracts were. They were bad at the time and they don't look any better in hindsight. Yet he did hire Rivera and draft Cam, Luke, and Norman. So his draft success would leave you thinking that the guy has an eye for talent. But then you're puzzled further, because you can't reconcile that with the Armanti debacle. We would not be where we are today without Hurney, but the converse is that we would not be where we are today if we still had Hurney. It's bizarre.

Not just Armanti. Everette Brown, Jarrett, Shelton- the guy missed on high draft picks (which everybody does) and then compounded it by trading up to get those players.

Hurney was great at identifying top end talent and nailed just about every 1st round pick he ever had but was terrible at filling out the back end of a roster and managing a cap. Gettleman is awesome at filling the back end of a roster and managing a cap and was handed a bevy of top end talent from Hurney.

It couldn't have worked out any better.

ETA:

Julius Peppers
Jordan Gross
Chris Gamble
Thomas Davis
DeAngelo Williams
Jon Beason
Jonathan Stewart
Jeff Otah
Cam Newton
Luke Kuechly

That's a pretty great hit rate even for the 1st round.

Last edited:
Put the finishing touches on my trip today. Doing everything at right around 3k. Cant complain about that at all!

Ticket- 1900.00
Airfare RT from CLT- 465.00 on Jet Blue (Redeye on the return leg)
4 nights in the Larkspur (5 miles from Stadium)- 505.00 (thats my 1/2)
Rental car for 4 days- 125.00 (my 1/2)

Obviously doesn't cover our food/parties/events but I'm extremely content with those prices

Wow. Those are good rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back