• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The ACC 2016-17

Why does no one hold K accountable for this crap?(I mean in the media, not on our message board!). He coerces this kid to give up his senoir yr of high school, apparently makes him some promises, immediately recruits over him and now forces him out to make room for another one and done. Real "classy." Did the same thing to another kid (Dawkins?) a few yrs ago, except he just immediately recruited over him and, because I guess he didn't need his scholarship, let him ride the bench after his PG crisis was over.

Reminds me of his employing a walk on to "rough up" CP3 a week after Temple's John Chaney took a lot of heat for "sending in a goon"(his words) to take out an opposing player, and breaking is arm. No one in the media had the balls to even criticize K, but everyone crucified Chaney.

Chaney admitted he was wrong. K didn't. Chaney was always a good guy. K never was. The media? Forget the media. They're a bunch of lazy, lying pussies anyway. They are often just recycling myths that Duke are the good guys. Usually they don't even have the courage to put the heat to the NCAA for their pathetic reffing even when they watch it every night.

The perception of K is very different and it shouldn't be; he is Nick Saban, but the mainstream media refuses to paint the Duke program in a true light. Despite now running Duke like Kentucky (or Memphis under Cal), K largely skates by in the mainstream as "Coach Relationships" who still is as much about education, ethics and developing his "kids" (barf) as he is about winning. That's the annoying aspect. If he was called out like Calapari is (or essentially every SEC football coach is as running football factories), it would be easier to deal with. Instead, K has his "win at all costs" machine in place, while still being viewed as the Patron Saint of College Basketball. That is what sucks.

Fair enough - no argument with any of that

Duke fan here. Not that you guys will care, but Thornton is leaving because his dad is the worst type of helicopter parent, not because K is forcing him out. think about it, he played 26 mpg last year, and duke will only have 1 pg/combo guard on the roster for next year now. If K was really going to force somebody out, don't you think he would do it to somebody like obi or vrankovic who never play?

thornton has plenty of potential to become an all-conference player, and maybe make the nba eventually, but his dad thought that he should be running PNRs over allen and ingram THIS YEAR, which is ludicrous. Now, maybe K overpromised things during the recruitment, and if he did, that is on him, but the kid and his dad should be able to see that if he wants to play a big role on a good team, he just needs to get better.

Duke fan here. Not that you guys will care, but Thornton is leaving because his dad is the worst type of helicopter parent, not because K is forcing him out. think about it, he played 26 mpg last year, and duke will only have 1 pg/combo guard on the roster for next year now. If K was really going to force somebody out, don't you think he would do it to somebody like obi or vrankovic who never play?

thornton has plenty of potential to become an all-conference player, and maybe make the nba eventually, but his dad thought that he should be running PNRs over allen and ingram THIS YEAR, which is ludicrous. Now, maybe K overpromised things during the recruitment, and if he did, that is on him, but the kid and his dad should be able to see that if he wants to play a big role on a good team, he just needs to get better.

K is a dickhole egomaniac.

So Carlos Boozer's parents move to Durham from fucking Alaska, but Thornton's dad is the problem helicopter parent. I guess somebody should have lined up a job for Mr. Thornton they way they did for Mr. Boozer. Same thing with Chris Duhon's mom who got a job that was never posted.

It's probably somewhere in-between. Thornton would have been a good player to have come off the bench behind Frank.

K is a dickhole egomaniac.

I don't disagree, but I think basically all coaches are, especially the successful ones. It is part of what drives them to succeed. I'm also not sure what it has to do with anything in my post.

It's probably somewhere in-between. Thornton would have been a good player to have come off the bench behind Frank.

yeah, with all of the talent coming in, thornton wasn't likely to see an increased role, even if he did make nice improvements to his game. he still would've gotten plenty of nba attention, though, given how much duke will be in the spotlight next year.

Back