• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The #Buzzout #Wellmanout Billboard: Development Thread

OK, here's a new idea for everyone. Contact the Deacon Club directly (as opposed to waiting for contact from them.) To let them know that you will NOT be donating funds until Wellman and Bzz are both out. Overwhelm the DC with comments.

http://www.deaconclub.com/contact.cfm

Mindboggling if true / full account. In my amateur legal mind, it would seem the police did more wrong than the team.

The cops were fantasizing about girl-on-girl action and got carried away.

A couple of points, for what it's worth. I'm not sure what your target audience is, but how many of those who view this billboard will even recognize the name, "Ron Wellman?" Maybe WFU AD.

Depending on the location, I think that brevity is mandatory. How about WAKE FOREST AD MUST GO.

If your only interest is to get the WSJ and other media to pick up the story and run with it, then I guess that's a different story.

Even when you add "context", it's still not very pretty.
Each school can place a maximum of 20 sports in the Director's Cup competition.
10 male and 10 female.
Last year 5 of 12 ACC schools participated in less than 20 sports.
GaTech & Miami had 17 sports, Wake had 18 sports, and Clemson & Florida St. had 19 sports.

School#SportsDirector's Cup
GaTech1772
Miami1759
WFU1892
Clemson1954
Florida St195

Florida State had only one more sport than we did but finished 5th (the highest score in the ACC) in the Director's Cup standings. That tells me that you do not have to participate in 20 sports to score well. It is more important that you do well in the sports for which you do compete. In other words, I think our poor score last year had much more to do with the fact that we finished in the bottom half of the conference in 16 of the 18 sports in which we participated. Ron Wellman is not trying to field championship caliber athletes and teams. He is obviously comfortable just getting a participation trophy.

I only count sixteen varsity sports:

Men: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track
Women: Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track, Volleyball

Wow, that's pretty damning. I was with ibleedgoldandblack in thinking that at least a portion of it was due to participating in fewer sports, but damn. We have really sucked ass recently.

It was always simplistic to believe that the policies and restrictions applied to men's basketball by Wellman -- and likely his superiors -- were limited to that sport. This crap is clearly damaging our entire athletic program across the board.

I have been pushing this point for several years now. From 2006-2009, there were significant "culture" issues in almost all of the non-revenue sports (ranging from coaches to athletes to staff). Wellman is particularly slow to act on some of them, and the AD is WAY to fucking aggressive on others. It always seemed to me that they made the little stuff into huge deals (threatening to yank scholarships and kick us out of school) and ignored the potentially damning stuff. The most serious and aggressive AD scheme was after the Duke Lacrosse scandal though -- they had lawyers, politicians, the AD, and others come teach us how not to rape people.

You got that right, Racer. No doubt about it. Soccer will be next. We(llman) can't tolerate success at Wake.

Despite the sarcasm, this is an incredible stupid perspective (that some here espouse).

Last edited:

RSF and I have been AFK since yesterday morning, just got back from a trip to Apex. RSF has asked for my help in reviewing a small number of possible billboard sites on: 52, Peters Creek, Silas Creek, and Business 40. He and VT are going to talk about the final design of the billboard this week, and pick out a final design ASAP. My best suggestion for this thread would be for everyone to review the posted design suggestions and make a list of their favorites.

YMD2kPc.jpg

Still my favorite thus far out of all the proposals.

Just throwing in my opinion again as a small donator... this needs to be held off until the Fall and the new basketball season.

It is way too late now - I understand the logistics issues behind it and the delays, but unless this was going up in the last 2-3 weeks, it's time to fold shop and wait until Fall. The season is over - the media attention will be small to 0 and considering all the money we raised, I strongly feel like we are simply flushing good money down the drain by putting things up now.

Just throwing in my opinion again as a small donator... this needs to be held off until the Fall and the new basketball season.

It is way too late now - I understand the logistics issues behind it and the delays, but unless this was going up in the last 2-3 weeks, it's time to fold shop and wait until Fall. The season is over - the media attention will be small to 0 and considering all the money we raised, I strongly feel like we are simply flushing good money down the drain by putting things up now.

And spring semester is over in, what, three weeks?

We have the funds to do both, without sacrificing the quality of either. I would suggest that people stop worrying about timing with this. Either way, it will be a story, and it will not be reliant on the basketball program's struggles.

We have the funds to do both, without sacrificing the quality of either. I would suggest that people stop worrying about timing with this. Either way, it will be a story, and it will not be reliant on the basketball program's struggles.

Timing is everything - and this is poor timing... and who is going to run with this story during the early summer? No one... it will be mediocre local news fodder - but go spend $2,000 and put it up. Again, just an opinion from one of the many that donated - and I know I'm not the only one.

Back