• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Hatch Factor

Has anything good come out of Hatch's time at Wake? He seems like a pretty big donk to me.

Has anything good come out of Hatch's time at Wake? He seems like a pretty big donk to me.

Ridiculous tuition increases paid by super-wealthy kids who didn't have to submit SAT scores...who brought along their super-wealthy parents who make nice big donations. Other than that and a very nice new business school facility (which should help Wake's rank), no.

Thomas Hearn was really a good guy, down-to-earth, humble. He loved Wake Forest. Hatch does appear to be a donk.

I still think the only reason Hatch left ND is that he couldn't go any higher up than Provost.

Remember when people thought Hearn hated athletics?

I wish the BOT and the big donors would agree that they want Wake basketball to be relevant and competitive again and collectively put pressure on Hatch to make it easier to do that. We could at least not place more restrictions on kids than, say, Duke or Stanford do.

I have to believe, at some point, the admin will realize that our sports programs are our most obvious national face, and the shinier that face, the better for campaigns such as Wake Will. Conversely, the dimmer that face, the greater the adverse effect.

I have heard that Rogan Kersh is a likely successor to Hatch (Wake '86, Yale PhD).

Only met and heard him speak one time, but I was very impressed with Kersh. He is a big sports fan too.

I'll add to the Dr. Hearn lovefest. In 2007, I took my then girlfriend down to a small resort in Turks & Caicos. I chartered a boat to go to a private island to propose. That morning I see Dr. Hearn at breakfast with his wife Laura, his brother Joel and his wife. We walk over and introduce ourselves and they couldn't have been nicer. Outside of our parents, they were the first people we told that we were engaged. We spent some more time together while we there, and Joel Hearn told me I made his brother's day by coming up to them that morning. Laura and Dr. Hearn sent us a very nice letter congratulating us on our engagement and saying how much they enjoyed spending time with us. Laura loved my wife; it was so freaking cool. Definitely the second best thing that happened to me that week.

Hatch has been the problem all along. I know a couple of former ND athletes and they are very glad he is in Winston and not South Bend. He has never been a friend of athletics and our decline began with his arrival on campus. The descriptions of the man in this thread are accurate

Only met and heard him speak one time, but I was very impressed with Kersh. He is a big sports fan too.

I'll add to the Dr. Hearn lovefest. In 2007, I took my then girlfriend down to a small resort in Turks & Caicos. I chartered a boat to go to a private island to propose. That morning I see Dr. Hearn at breakfast with his wife Laura, his brother Joel and his wife. We walk over and introduce ourselves and they couldn't have been nicer. Outside of our parents, they were the first people we told that we were engaged. We spent some more time together while we there, and Joel Hearn told me I made his brother's day by coming up to them that morning. Laura and Dr. Hearn sent us a very nice letter congratulating us on our engagement and saying how much they enjoyed spending time with us. Laura loved my wife; it was so freaking cool. Definitely the second best thing that happened to me that week.

I was once in the stall next to Hatch. Asked him to pass some TP under the partition. He laughed and said, "want some paper there, Wakey boy? Go out on the quad and get some off the trees, chump." He left without washing and hit the lightswitch on his way out.

You'd think a school like Wake that has turned out so many highly successful people in so many different professions and such, could find of alumni President and not have one that has such a strong alligence to another school and their athletic programs.

So many of us hate the direction our school is going under this administration, why don't we do something about it? Where do you start with something like this?

Hatch has been the problem all along. I know a couple of former ND athletes and they are very glad he is in Winston and not South Bend. He has never been a friend of athletics and our decline began with his arrival on campus. The descriptions of the man in this thread are accurate

This has been pretty much what I have noticed. Could it be that over the past few years, Hatch has told Ron to implement some changes to our athletics that has been detrimental to the talent level (coaching and players) we receive?

I bet losing your virginity that late in life was a big relief.

(I kid...I kid...nice story re Hearn).

I posted the below sometime after 10 this morning on the coaching search thread regarding Hatch and why he may be contributing to to woes of WFU basketball.

I wonder if there is alot of truth to this. When Prosser was hired in 2001 TK Hern was president. Prosser was able to recruit Mcdonalds all americans and 2 and done players like CP3. Nathan O Hatch was inaugurated in 2005. I remember going to the ball they threw. It was under his leadership that we fired Dino (2010) and under his leadership that we hired (redacted). Now he is president while we are searching for a new coach. Ron Wellman was at least AD when we hired Prosser and recruited good players. I wonder if it is not as a result of Nathan's mechinations that we want 4 year players with culture. Which will result in donk coaches and espn3 games.

Edited to add that it is also under hatch that Wake is attempting to eliminate fraternities and kill all fun at WFU.

I think this thread is finally getting at the core issue....Hatch!

I dont remember the specifics but when I was a freshman TK gave a speech for incoming freshman and their parents and my mom was very impressed with him afterwards. He did alot for the University during his tenure takingbus from a regional university to a national university.

I posted the below sometime after 10 this morning on the coaching search thread regarding Hatch and why he may be contributing to to woes of WFU basketball.

I wonder if there is alot of truth to this. When Prosser was hired in 2001 TK Hern was president. Prosser was able to recruit Mcdonalds all americans and 2 and done players like CP3. Nathan O Hatch was inaugurated in 2005. I remember going to the ball they threw. It was under his leadership that we fired Dino (2010) and under his leadership that we hired (redacted). Now he is president while we are searching for a new coach. Ron Wellman was at least AD when we hired Prosser and recruited good players. I wonder if it is not as a result of Nathan's mechinations that we want 4 year players with culture. Which will result in donk coaches and espn3 games.

Edited to add that it is also under hatch that Wake is attempting to eliminate fraternities and kill all fun at WFU.

Yeah, I read it this morning and piggybacked the idea for the OP. Sorry, for the unintentional copyright infringement.

Hatch gets paid like the CEO of a public company and acts like a librarian. $1.4 million per year baby

This has been pretty much what I have noticed. Could it be that over the past few years, Hatch has told Ron to implement some changes to our athletics that has been detrimental to the talent level (coaching and players) we receive?

So many of us hate the direction our school is going under this administration, why don't we do something about it? Where do you start with something like this?

Those fraternities may serve as a base of support for an effort to change the leadership at MSD. I wonder how many of the BOT were members of a sorority or fraternity as a student at Wake? Brotherhood does not end when you graduate.

Hatch is an academic, a total pussy. Wouldn't waste a second of my time drinking a beer with him.

Back