• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official 2015 MLB Season Thread - Congrats, Royals

pretty pumped for zobrist and wade davis and royals fans. really pumped now that i know elc is such a big mets fan. MUCH more knowledgeable than apetit imo.

The best late inning team in the history of post-season baseball. Not even close. Their bullpen, defense, team speed, and a bunch of tough contact bats... The Mets had no chance once games went extra innings.

Question: if the Astros hang on to the 4 run, 8th inning lead to win the ALDS, who wins the W-S?

Astros? Jays? Mets?

The Royals emphasize sabermetrics less than most teams. Does this change the emphasis of statistical analysis on the sport?

Yeah, I was reading an article this morning about how the Royals have one of the most robust analytics departments in the MLB. Mike Groopman, formerly of Baseball Prospectus, heads up the analytics department and they have MIT and Vandy PhDs on staff, so there's a lot of punch in that department. I think they get the reputation of not being invested in sabermetrics because the organization is pretty tight lipped when it comes to that stuff.

The Royals have a Baseball Prospectus alum as their head of analytics. He has said that they have their own proprietary models. The Royals success might be an indicator of the stuff teams that invest in analytics know that we do not. I wonder how they evaluate defense.

pretty pumped for zobrist and wade davis and royals fans. really pumped now that i know elc is such a big mets fan. MUCH more knowledgeable than apetit imo.

wait, is he a stupid ass mets fan or a st louis fan?

the @BestFansStLouis twitter is a hot-take-a-palooza today it's awesome

Every team has an analytics department; no team ignores analytics completely. Dayton Moore has a traditional baseball background with an emphasis on scouting than most of the recently hired GMs. Moore played baseball at George Mason, and was an grad assistant there, before getting hired as a scout for the Braves. He brought that background with him when he was hired by the Royals.

Yeah, I was reading an article this morning about how the Royals have one of the most robust analytics departments in the MLB. Mike Groopman, formerly of Baseball Prospectus, heads up the analytics department and they have MIT and Vandy PhDs on staff, so there's a lot of punch in that department. I think they get the reputation of not being invested in sabermetrics because the organization is pretty tight lipped when it comes to that stuff.

All of this typically gets ignored because they bat Escobar leadoff and Gordon 8th. Which is really, really dumb. But I think the coaching staff showed improvement in areas like bunting and IBB. I also think all teams/managers do really dumb shit now and then, and its just confirmation bias to focus on those mistakes when it fits a narrative.

Oh my god I can't even begin to recap that botch

What a weird situation. Sounds like they wanted Dusty, low-balled him, then went to Bud Black who accepted the job without negotiating terms (???), then he rejected their low-ball offer, so they hired Dusty with a better offer they wouldn't give to Black?

What a weird situation. Sounds like they wanted Dusty, low-balled him, then went to Bud Black who accepted the job without negotiating terms (???), then he rejected their low-ball offer, so they hired Dusty with a better offer they wouldn't give to Black?

Not sure about the first part, but the second part is definitely what happened. The offer to Black was absurd. Rumors swirling that Black was Rizzo's guy, so the Lerners purposefully torpedoed the deal in order to get Baker who they wanted all along. What an organization.

Here is a deadspin article that lays it out.

http://deadspin.com/dusty-baker-nam...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Last edited:
What a joke. Dusty Baker is horrible, obviously.

Hahahaha he will run your pitchers into the ground until there are sparks

The first season should be good but all downhill from there

Apparently the Nats offered Bud Black less than $2 million for 2 years and he told them to fuck off, so now they're left with Dusty. Elsewhere in the division, the Marlins gave Mattingly $10 million for 4 years.

Good lord, Nats.

Here's a potentially piping hot take: MLB is the league in which owners have the most influence over the success of their teams. I'm not even talking about pure payroll here. There's just so much variance among organizations in how the front offices are run. A good or bad owner can make or break your franchise, and it sucks as a fan.

Back