• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official 2015 MLB Season Thread - Congrats, Royals

Rangers beat writer tweeting that the Rangers are about to trade for Hamels and now I'm feeling all the feelings.

So am I. Intellectually, I finally accepted that it was over when JRoll went to the Dodgers. He won an MVP. But Cole went out there as a kid, and won a World Series. I'm dealing with a whole different level of acceptance now.

Last edited:
And can someone explain why the Braves just traded Wood and Peraza for Olivera? I mean, Olivera is ready now, but hes 30 and this team is now 2 years away with the lack of MLB ready pitching depth.

Also, wondering if this deal will allow Amaro to hang around on the Phils for another year or two - I would definitely say both trades have been big phillies wins - they actually got something useful back for Pap without paying a ton and they got a haul of decent prospects for Cole.

Also, wondering if this deal will allow Amaro to hang around on the Phils for another year or two - I would definitely say both trades have been big phillies wins - they actually got something useful back for Pap without paying a ton and they got a haul of decent prospects for Cole.

Best case scenario he gets to leave on a good note and they hire a young go-hard GM to actually manage the new era.

And can someone explain why the Braves just traded Wood and Peraza for Olivera? I mean, Olivera is ready now, but hes 30 and this team is now 2 years away with the lack of MLB ready pitching depth.
Olivera is actually hurt. Him being good is way more worrisome to me than the Braves pitching depth.

Anyone with ESPN insider read the Keith Law piece about the Cole trade? I dont have it, but his tweets seem to think he did not like the deal for the Phillies. I would be interested to hear why - I mean, not getting Mazara, Gallo or Gonzalez is not a definite loss - Thompson and Alfaro have struggled this year, but they have solid talent - and Williams looks like he could be at worst an everday starter in the OF by 2017.

Olivera is actually hurt. Him being good is way more worrisome to me than the Braves pitching depth.

His statline looks good so far in the minors, and the hamstring injury is said to be minor. I think he will be good based on everything I read, I just dont get why the Braves would trade for a player that is likely at his prime right now instead of chips for the future.

Oh well, Im not a gm and likely would be a terrible one.

I don't think there is any chance Amaro is back. His contract is up after this year. McPhail will bring in his own guy as GM.

Yeah, I don't get the three way trade. I get it from the Marlins perspective - they are cheap and they got rid of salary. Other than that, it seems like the Dodgers got a lot without giving up very much. There's gotta be more to it, right?

Anyone with ESPN insider read the Keith Law piece about the Cole trade? I dont have it, but his tweets seem to think he did not like the deal for the Phillies. I would be interested to hear why - I mean, not getting Mazara, Gallo or Gonzalez is not a definite loss - Thompson and Alfaro have struggled this year, but they have solid talent - and Williams looks like he could be at worst an everday starter in the OF by 2017.

From Law:
Ultimately, the Phillies got two highly regarded but flawed position player prospects, a high-probability starting pitching prospect who has a chance to be a solid No. 3, and a pair of depth arms. That's a good mixture of quantity and quality for Hamels, exactly what they should have tried to get in this franchise-altering opportunity.

From what I've read, you're the only one.

Gotta think the Dodgers are planning on flipping Wood and Peraza as part of something else, right? Maybe Price?

Yeah, I don't get the three way trade. I get it from the Marlins perspective - they are cheap and they got rid of salary. Other than that, it seems like the Dodgers got a lot without giving up very much. There's gotta be more to it, right?

We all hope so, but there isn't. No Braves fan understands this trade. It's like Hart had the role flipped on him to where he's the GM getting fleeced. Should be able to get way more for wood & Peraza.

Braves get pick 35 in next year's draft too, which is apparently what is holding up the deal more than medicals. I actually thought there was a weird rule about a competitive balance pick not being able to be traded twice.

Back