• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official 2015 MLB Season Thread - Congrats, Royals

Ah, looks like Pap is restructuring his deal to make less money in 2016, but have the contract guaranteed. And he will be the Nats closer.

Nick Pivetta going to Phils. Nats #10 prospect (preseason - BA). You Nats fans know anything about him?

Mejia suspended 162 games after failed PED Test. Come on, dude.

Pedro's number getting retired.

22869_sad-crying-mfw-tears-emotional.gif

Nick Pivetta going to Phils. Nats #10 prospect (preseason - BA). You Nats fans know anything about him?

Only thing I know about him is that he was the organization's only Canadian. Seems like a swap of Pivetta for Paplebon (and a restructured deal) is a very good swap.

rays move DDJ to LAA for some live arm 20 yo in rookie ball. guess they're out of the market for bruce.

Except for the drama that comes with Pap. His personality is difficult and he wouldn't go anywhere if he wasn't to be the closer. So Storen gets yanked around again. I personally think Storen is better.

Some nice pitching on display by Miley on Pedro's night. *cue Theo pic from phan*

Papelbon gone, salary relief, and the Nats #10 prospect? I feel like it's my birthday! (And I'm not trolling Nats fans, shoring up the bullpen while giving up nothing they are likely to miss is a good move as well.)

He didn't make BP's top 10 of the Nats prospects, but they do have this game note:

Nick Pivetta, RHP, Nationals (Potamac, A+): 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K. Pivetta is an intriguing young arm in a great, projectable pitcher’s frame, but the stuff is more of a back-end starter than that of a mid-rotation guy.

#Nationals Nick Pivetta FB 91-94 T95(2x); downhill. Arm-side sink in lower velo band. CB 73; soft. Broke Starling's bat w/ 95 on outer half.
— CJ Wittmann (@CJWittJr) April 20, 2015

Despite the velocity, Pivetta doesn’t miss a ton of bats with his fastball. The movement is good, but not elite. Coupled with a mediocre curveball, it makes for a back-end profile (though he does have a more impressive slider that he’s not using at the moment in deference to the development of his other pitches).

Looks like he's struggling a bit with the adjustment to AA, but he's only three games in.

The Official 2015 MLB Season Thread - Tulo to Toronto

Why do Philly fans hate Papelbon so much (other than his contract)? Looking at his numbers he hasn't been bad at all in Philly. I get being mad at the contract...I thought it was ridiculous at the time but you can hardly blame him. Has he been a dick?

Why do Philly fans hate Papelbon so much (other than his contract)? Looking at his numbers he hasn't been bad at all in Philly. I get being mad at the contract...I thought it was ridiculous at the time but you can hardly blame him. Has he been a dick?
He's wanted out of Philly for like 2 years. Do you even follow baseball, bro?

I mean, he is a closer playing on one of the worst teams in baseball. Who wouldn't want out? Was he being difficult?

Papelbon fits in perfectly with the Nats. Another hot head who wont win in October and then will be a clubhouse cancer. What could go wrong!?!?!?

and if youre Storen, what the hell. youre having a great year and this guy gets traded but "demands" to be the closer. way to really get things off right with the new team

Doesn't everyone hate Jonathan Papelbon? I did before he signed with the Phils. He's an ass. On top of that, he signed a ridiculous deal (which I realize wasn't his fault) and then spent his entire time complaining. And occasionally publicly criticizing the rest of the team and blaming them for his blown saves. Plus the whole crotch grab towards the fans that got him ejected and suspended. Good bye and good riddance.

Yeah...I did some research after I posted the question (really haven't followed the Philles too much). I get it. But I also get how a closer could be miserable on a team that has no shot at competing. Hopefully he can curtail his dickiness to be on a team that has a chance to get him another ring. One thing for sure, that pen is going to be a touchy place for the foreseeable future and a bad attitude (by him or Storn) could sink the ship. We shall see.

LOL

Betts just carried Abreu's flyout about ten feet over the wall and dropped it in the bullpen for a 2-run HR.

Back