• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

the lower temps this morning made such a dramatic difference. i had what i think would qualify as the best workout of my entire life this morning. the lower humidity really made me feel like i had a spare lung. it's amazing how much better it feels when you can actually breathe.

I hear what you're saying, but humidity is probably what is getting you. Gotta adjust. Do you run/walk now? No shame in that.

That's basically where I am. Back in June I was at running 3 miles and walking 2-3 miles. Now I'm lucky if I can run a half mile broken up over 6 miles.

the lower temps this morning made such a dramatic difference. i had what i think would qualify as the best workout of my entire life this morning. the lower humidity really made me feel like i had a spare lung. it's amazing how much better it feels when you can actually breathe.

Please send some this way. Summer heat and humidity completely changes training strategy and expectations.

You people in NC can just shut it about your weather issues. It was freaking 95 degree at 8:30 last night. WTF?

Yep. Other than my freaking toe, my 10 was glorious this morning.

You people in NC can just shut it about your weather issues. It was freaking 95 degree at 8:30 last night. WTF?

I did a solid 10 days of my marathon training in Central Florida in August. I know all about how much nicer NC weather is for runners.

yeah, you guys have it bad. we're headed to miami the first weekend of October, and I'm not looking forward to running down there, but promised j's sister i'd go with her. our 'humid' days here are ~55%. maybe.

Has anyone run the Raleigh (City of Oaks) Marathon? Not asking for me but curious if there is anyone here with experience from it?

I know of a few people back in NC who've done it - it's not a bad course, but not terribly easy. lots of hills. there's a dirt section in umstead, but it's not singletrack. If people really like crowd support throughout the race, this is not the one to do. Pretty small as far as number of entrants, but that's good for the sake of water stops and portajohns.

All the talk of lower temps is making me super jealous. Just bought a new pair of shoes though. That is always fun. Nike Zoom Elite 6.

hooray for new shoes! I need to get another pair to start rotating in to my runs instead of wearing the same ones every day. I think I want to get a different type than I am wearing now (Brooks PureCadence 2) to vary it a little bit. I'm also getting a gnarly ingrown toenail and should probably look for something with a wider toebox. I think I'd like to try on the Saucony Mirage.

if you like the purecadence 2, i'd highly recommend the Asics I'm in right now- Gel Lyte33 2. Pretty similar in terms of feel/drop of the pure cadence, but wider toe box. I love them so hard.

http://www.rei.com/product/844561/asics-gel-lyte33-2-road-running-shoes-womens

thanks for the recommendation. I do really like the pure cadence, minus my wonky toe. I will try to look past thinking those Gel Lyte shoes are tremendously ugly and see if I like the feel. :) looks like a 6mm drop rather than the 4mm from the pure cadence but that's okay.

thanks for the recommendation. I do really like the pure cadence, minus my wonky toe. I will try to look past thinking those Gel Lyte shoes are tremendously ugly and see if I like the feel. :) looks like a 6mm drop rather than the 4mm from the pure cadence but that's okay.

Yea those are some fugly shoes.

the blue is more subdued in person. kind of. i like how they look :(

I rotate these with a pair of zero drop shoes without issue. The 6mm drop doesn't feel that drastic compared to the zero drop altras, which i thought it would. I find the footbed really comparable to the brooks pure line.

I rotate these with a pair of zero drop shoes without issue. The 6mm drop doesn't feel that drastic compared to the zero drop altras, which i thought it would. I find the footbed really comparable to the brooks pure line.

they look really... I don't know, tall? like someone took the photo of them and squished it in from the sides instead of keeping the ratios locked. I think it is the stripes up the middle. but I went to Asics' site and they look the same there.

They're kinda plain IMHO. Here's what I'm wearing. They're not as subdued in person.

gBNqM27.jpg

i used to wear these:
631528986_tp.jpg

they were my absolute favorites.

now i alternate w/ the asics linked above and these:
altra-3-sum-w_grande.jpg

if you want company, i've got 2x3 mile tomorrow, at a pace that's in the neighborhood of your easy pace. want to help pace me? :)

Ha. I saw your workout times. You'd need to add about 20 seconds/mile to be "in the neighborhood" of my easy pace and that's on the end of the neighborhood I rarely see. Certainly not recently. Looks like you had a fantastic workout though. Congrats! You're going to crush that half.

Back