• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Top NCAA Coaching Jobs

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
This was mentioned over on the coaching search thread, so not to muck that up I figured I'd resume it here. Its been mentioned many times before but consider this an update. These are in no particular order, but will try to rank them as close to the top as possible in the current landscape.

1) Kentucky- Coach Cal always is within an inch of getting you in trouble but is always going to usually take you to the sweet 16 or beyond. If something happens or he leaves, they are the one school that cannot be outbid (SEC football $$$ in play here) and can probably have there pick of the bunch. Of course their tradition does not hurt either.

2) UNC- Awesome tradition that recruits itself. Will probably have to go outside the family after Roy hangs it up. No worries though as they too can get who they want.

3) Duke- Same as above except they'll try to stay in the family although they're assistants (until just recently) have not performed very well. However they will be fine in the future even if Wojo were to be the man.

4) Indiana- Great tradition but are in a drought. Crean may not be the man and may only have another year to prove it. Might Brad Stevens get a call?

5) Kansas- Its Bill Self's job as long as he wants it. When he decides to hang it up, they will do what the above do.

6) UCLA- Still a great job and will always get first pick of the west coast talent. They too are in a title drought, but Alford may be the man as he has been successful wherever he's been. I would imagine he & Miller will have epic battles in the future.

7) Arizona- Great tradition started by Lute Olson. Awesome facilities and great place to go to school. Miller has quickly built the Cats back up after a couple of trying years. Personally I can't see him going anywhere as Pac 12 money can probably fend off anyone.

8) Michigan St.- Izzo is much like Dean Smith (without the excess of talent) in that they are always in the hunt and always battle tested come tourney time. He like Dean should have more titles than he actually does. He shows no signs of being ready to go as right now they are kings of the BIG. IU has the tradition, but State has been the power they last 10-20 years.

9) Florida- Its hard to ignore the success in Gainesville where they still do not sell out every game. Donovan has built this from scratch and is in the hunt again big time this year. IMHO, the only place that could lure him away would be the Holes. Doubt KY and all the $$$ in the world could lure him away as FL has the SEC football dough as well and he has already turned down the NBA a number of times (left for less than 24 hrs once, but changed mind and came back).

10) UConn- They are here because of what Calhoun built. He was no choir boy, but its hard to ignore the success over his tenure. Ollie appears to have them on the way back but things will always be a little shaky in the new Big East.

Others include Louisville, Syracuse, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.

I'm a UConn homer, but no way it's a top 10 coaching job with the downfall of the old Big East. Plus, they've only been relevant since 1990.

Ohio State is a better coaching job than Michigan and Wisconsin

I'm a UConn homer, but no way it's a top 10 coaching job with the downfall of the old Big East. Plus, they've only been relevant since 1990.

Arizona has only been relevant since the late 80's

Assuming all these jobs are open, I might flip ZONA and UCLA. I would probably move MSU ahead of both. UConn is not a top 10 job. Every single one of your also-rans and Ohio St. are better than UConn. Florida and Texas are a little enigmatic. They have huge fanbases and seemingly unlimited resources, but basketball seems to be an afterthought. You could probably say the same thing about Ohio St. and Michigan, but to me at least, UF and UT seem like different jobs.

Louisville is a really good job I think. Great arena. Joining power ACC. Top notch fan support. Solid history.

I'd put them top 10.

He added that as a secondary reason, with the fall of the Big East being the primary reason. Arizona (Pac 12) >>>> UConn.

Are they all there because of who they're or because of their reputation?

UNC has to be first. There are no words for how strong and ingrained their 'brand' is (i.e., Jordan) and the in-state talent in NC is much deeper than the states in and around UK.

Wisconsin is, at best, the fourth best job in the Big Ten - despite all that Bo Ryan and Dick Bennett have done there, people forget that they didn't make the NCAA tournament from 1948-1993 (and only made the NIT three times during that period)

My mom still hasn't forgiven Lute Olson for leaving Iowa for the Arizona job - Olson had taken Iowa to five straight NCAA tournaments, including a Final Four and a Sweet Sixteen appearance and Arizona was a Pac-10 bottom-feeder at the time.

Louisville is top ten. Florida is not. As good as they are under Billy D, most of their fans just don't care.

UNC has to be first. There are no words for how strong and ingrained their 'brand' is (i.e., Jordan) and the in-state talent in NC is much deeper than the states in and around UK.

like kentucky only recruits in and around kentucky. come on.

I'm not sold on Michigan State as a Top Ten Job either.

After those top 6 there are a lot of schools you could slide into the next four spots and get an argument out of somebody.

Kentucky has more wins, better winning percentage, more championships, more tournament appearances, etc.

I think Uconn is definitely close to top ten, the issue is their current conference. Louisville moving to the ACC is ahead of them.

I've said this a lot before and I know some people disagree, but I want Uconn in the ACC. I don't care about football (even though I know that's what the ratings are about or whatever) I just want them for basketball purposes.

Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Uconn, Louisville as headliners :drool:

The latest NBA rumor is that Phil Jackson is going to get rid of Mike Woodson in favor of Steve Kerr who will then install the triangle in NYC. If Woodson becomes available, the Hoosiers will then dump Crean in favor of alum Woodson.

Back