• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Top NCAA Coaching Jobs

I do think it's possible (and I would delight)
if a few years post-K, Duke would suffer the plight
of missed dances, and NIT losses; recruits
slipping over to join Carolina (deeper roots).
The meltdown of entitled jerks would be sweet,
and the rest of the Big Four would not miss a beat.
I am no baby blue fan, don't misunderstand,
but Duke needs to come back to Earth (and crash land!).
Because they, at their core, are not greater than Wake.
Their tradition is shallow; their run could easily break.
That's my hope. That they fall in spectacular fashion.
Irrelevant: their "fans" and their fraudulent "passion."
The truth is they're hollow. A phony, a fake.
One great coach (who's a jerk) does not permanence make.
Wake, in the long run, is equal to Duke.
We just need our great coach to deliver the nuke.

The last 2 of any top ten in anything are always questionable. FL has 2 recent titles and UConn has 3. Both are still alive in this years tourney as well. I believe in the end both UConn and Nova either find better homes or the Big East finds better partners. If Billy D gets a 3rd title and ever leaves Florida, it will be a jailbreak to see who gets the job. There is just too much talent in Florida and its such a big state. Remember Lon Kruger took Fl to the final four before Billy D ever got there. As Bear Bryant once said, "if Florida football ever gets it together, watch out".

I understand the case for Louisville as they too have 3 titles and are usually in the hunt. The rest were just adders but not bad programs (like Wake in that they are right below the elite level of jobs).

Louisville is top ten. Florida is not. As good as they are under Billy D, most of their fans just don't care.

As a Florida fan living in Florida, this. There was way more chatter about football recruiting and national signing day than there has been about UF basketball's whole season. This is a football state in a football conference. Basketball's success has been a great tonic to get over UF football's worst season since 1979, though.

Fortunately it won't. I also have a feeling their next HC is already on staff (Dane Fife).

Why would Izzo ever leave MSU, let alone for the freaking Pistons.

Louisville is a really good job I think. Great arena. Joining power ACC. Top notch fan support. Solid history.

I'd put them top 10.

Insane to not have Louisville in the top 10, they might be top 4. They've got a brand new NBA level arena, $Texas resources from selling booze and Yum brands, great tradition, passionate fanbase, low academic standards, and now they're in the fucking ACC. Damn that's a good job.

My top 10:
1. UNC
2. UK
3. Kansas
4. Louisville
5. Indiana
6. Duke
7. Ohio State
8. Arizona
9. UCLA
10. Syracuse

Last edited:
Wisconsin is, at best, the fourth best job in the Big Ten - despite all that Bo Ryan and Dick Bennett have done there, people forget that they didn't make the NCAA tournament from 1948-1993 (and only made the NIT three times during that period)

Wisconsin has made the NCAA 16 years in a row and running. That is the 4th longest current streak (7th longest all time). Those ahead: Kansas (25), Duke (19), Michigan State (17). Wisconsin has a current streak of 12 straight top 4 finishes in the Big 10, no team has ever done that in Big 10 history. They sell out every home game, and have avid fanbase.

Wisconsin needs more Final 4s (2) and NCAA Championships (1) to be considered a top 10 program, but there is a solid argument that Wisconsin is knocking on the door.

IMO, UCONN is not a top 10 program right now because of the collapse of the Big East. The status of the AAC is tenuous. Given the massive money and exposure edge, only those programs in the ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12, SEC and PAC 10 can be considered a top 10 program right now. You can see that with the current coaching moves.

Louisville is definitely up the list. Pretty sure they are #1 in basketball revenue too.

Louisville is top ten. Florida is not. As good as they are under Billy D, most of their fans just don't care.

As a Florida fan living in Florida, this. There was way more chatter about football recruiting and national signing day than there has been about UF basketball's whole season. This is a football state in a football conference. Basketball's success has been a great tonic to get over UF football's worst season since 1979, though.

In some ways, I think this makes it one of the best jobs (obviously not in other ways though). You have a school that is willing to pay top $ and give you basically whatever resources you want or need, but if you go through a few down years, you are never going to get the "lunatic fringe" calling for your head (since the lunatic fringe cares way more about football recruiting and national signing day). Not necessarily saying I think UF is a top 10 basketball job, but it is a very interesting dynamic.

The way you have to look at the list is - If the guy who is there now leaves will it still be Top 10?

At FL and UConn the answer would be no.

The Top 5 are - KY, Duke, UNC, Kansas and UCLA

The next five are - Louisville, Michigan State, Ohio State, Arizona and either Syracuse or Indiana

The reason I said or is we don't know what will happen under Mike Hopkins at Syracuse and Indiana has been on the cusp since the early 90s.

I must be missing something here, but why is Ohio St being blown here like they are a top ten program? They have exactly 1 title from back in 1960 and only 3 FF's since 1968 (99,07,12). From 1993-1998 they didn't even make the tourney and from 2000-2010 they only made it half the time. I don't get it.

I must be missing something here, but why is Ohio St being blown here like they are a top ten program? They have exactly 1 title from back in 1960 and only 3 FF's since 1968 (99,07,12). From 1993-1998 they didn't even make the tourney and from 2000-2010 they only made it half the time. I don't get it.

$$$$$$

Back