• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This Crap Is As Bad As Caldwell

SCDeac

Reaction score
I'm going to assume that we get ass pounded in the next two games by Dook and Vandy...2 private schools that seem to actually give a shit.

After our 4-8 debacle this year here is how Caldwell and Grobe compare in their last five seasons at Mother So Dear.

Grobe
23-38 ---- .377 winning percentage
No winning seasons
No bowl wins

Caldwell
20-36 ---- .357 winning percentage
1 winning season
1 bowl win

The product on the field is complete dogshit and it's time for a change.

Hard to argue with those stats. And I understand that Wake will never be bama, but there's no reason not to field a competitive team. We haven't scored a TD in what, 8 quarters of FB?

Even in Grobe's years before 2006 he was competitive, most of our games were close, we'll pulled a few upsets....now there's no emotion, no offensive philosophy that I see, and we've returned to the loser mindset from the 90's. Remember when Grobe first got here and all we heard was bitching from our opponents about cut blocks while we stuffed it down their asses week with a top 5 rushing attack? Everyone hated playing us. Now we're everyone's homecoming sacrificial lamb again.

We've had better than this in recent history and the fact that we're now expected to swallow this dog crap effort is complete shit.

No more money from me. No more Deacon Club memberships. No more season tickets. Nothing.

I live in Columbia SC and my wife went to South Carolina so our dollars will go there instead since they give a damn.

Grobe needs to retire . It was a good run there for a while .

Even in Grobe's years before 2006 he was competitive, most of our games were close, we'll pulled a few upsets....now there's no emotion, no offensive philosophy that I see, and we've returned to the loser mindset from the 90's. Remember when Grobe first got here and all we heard was bitching from our opponents about cut blocks while we stuffed it down their asses week with a top 5 rushing attack? Everyone hated playing us. Now we're everyone's homecoming sacrificial lamb again.

Nailed it.

That's the thing even when we had the pre 2006 3 year run of 5,5,and 4 wins the feeling around this program was totally different. We were a pain for other teams to play and there was just a feeling we were building something. Now, there is no direction and the real hope.

We've had better than this in recent history and the fact that we're now expected to swallow this dog crap effort is complete shit.

In some Bill Simmons article, talking more about professional sports but still applicable, he mentions that a team that wins a championship just kind of earns a 5 year grace period. It's been 8 so the period is long over. I won't claim to be a huge football fan, I've always preferred basketball in general and for obvious reasons when it concerns Wake (at least historically if not currently), but I still care and sitting in the rain watching Wake win the ACC Championship is still one of my best Wake Forest moments in my life. But that didn't give Grobe the privilege of having shit teams for the rest of his tenure. I just don't understand what happened. It's not like Grobe is this loser that got brought in ([Redacted]) that doesn't have the drive to succeed or is too apathetic and doesn't give a shit. He also isn't incapable (Dino). So what happened? Did he get too old? Is he just bored? That doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm not suggesting that his hands have been tied by the athletic department and the administration, but it's still strange. And conspiracies like that are becoming more common in the current athletic atmosphere, which is another problem and very telling of how bad things have gotten. It's painful and frustrating to watch something that once was so successful be systematically deconstructed from the inside out.

The grace period is long over but Grobe only started getting heat a few weeks ago and even that subsided until Cuse. Many fans have been resistant to criticism of Grobe especially comparisons to the end of the Caldwell era. Look at the 5 straight losing seasons thread early posts and tags as examples. Confronting the truth is like telling folks Santa Claus isn't real.

Milhouse, where are you on this? Do you think Grobe needs to go?

The grace period is long over but Grobe only started getting heat a few weeks ago and even that subsided until Cuse. Many fans have been resistant to criticism of Grobe especially comparisons to the end of the Caldwell era. Look at the 5 straight losing seasons thread early posts and tags as examples. Confronting the truth is like telling folks Santa Claus isn't real.

You serious Clark????

I think the biggest difference between the folks who have given Grobe more slack than others is how people view 2 years ago. Some just lump it into a stretch of losing seasons - even though it was a bowl loss that made it a losing season. I see 5-3 in conference, a close game that put us within a kick of an ACC championship game appearance, and a fun bowl game we had a legit shot at winning. A tough non-conference schedule made it essentially a .500 season, but any time Wake is in the ACC title game race and makes a bowl is a great season - not just a good season.

Last year we were crushed by injuries. This year has been a mess both by our coaching staff and our players. I'd probably lean towards giving Grobe one more year but personnel-wise we're looking rough next year so much like Dino it might be kicking the can down the road to keep him. This was supposed to be the year to get something done, so I get the calls for his firing and wouldn't be all that upset if it happened.

But the bottom line is lumping in our last bowl season in the "loser" category while dropping the Caldwell name is pretty ridiculous, since that season was better than any season in Caldwell's career at Wake by a long shot. The only bowl Caldwell ever made featured a losing ACC record and required scheduling I-A UAB to become bowl eligible. And unfortunately for Grobe, Mississippi State didn't lose their QB to an ACL and half their starters to food poisoning before the Music City bowl.

A losing season is one in which a team loses more games than they won.

If it makes you feel better, we can say Grobe is the only coach with 5 straight regular seasons without a winning season. Not sure why that is better unless you think 5 wins is a ceiling and 6 wins is a great accomplishment.

As far as Caldwell comparisons, feel free to parse it out, DC. The reality is that Years 9-13 of Grobe shouldn't be anywhere close to Caldwell's last 5.

And we finished 1-5 in 2011. That is pathetic and a poor standard for success.

only because he won't make the obvious changes.

eta - it doesn't matter as long as wellman is the AD with a boss who obviously dislikes sports. also, if fucking hatch keeps referring to us as 'notre dame' i'd fire his ass too.

Last edited:
Back