• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This Crap Is As Bad As Caldwell

I'm going to assume that we get ass pounded in the next two games by Dook and Vandy...2 private schools that seem to actually give a shit.

But Duke doesn't actually give a shit. How do I know? Well look at the stats: Wake and Duke are the only 2 BCS conference schools, east of the Mississippi river, with humanoid mascots featuring freakishly large heads, who have not replaced their coach after 4 consecutive non-winning seasons in the same decade that they attended a bowl game. Its that simple. Wake and Duke both suck. Fire Grobe! Fire Duke's coach! The Orange Bowl didn't happen!

I'm going to assume that we get ass pounded in the next two games by Dook and Vandy...2 private schools that seem to actually give a shit.

After our 4-8 debacle this year here is how Caldwell and Grobe compare in their last five seasons at Mother So Dear.

Grobe
23-38 ---- .377 winning percentage
No winning seasons
No bowl wins

Caldwell
20-36 ---- .357 winning percentage
1 winning season
1 bowl win

The product on the field is complete dogshit and it's time for a change.

A GREAT THREAD. Caldwell had no success and the '99 season had a lot of things fall his way. With Grobe, it's all self inflicted wounds.
He's the reason that things are this bad.

But Duke doesn't actually give a shit. How do I know? Well look at the stats: Wake and Duke are the only 2 BCS conference schools, east of the Mississippi river, with humanoid mascots featuring freakishly large heads, who have not replaced their coach after 4 consecutive non-winning seasons in the same decade that they attended a bowl game. Its that simple. Wake and Duke both suck. Fire Grobe! Fire Duke's coach! The Orange Bowl didn't happen!

Wrong, Duke is now caring about football. An indoor practice facility and major stadium upgrades are on the way for them. Watched their game against State after I got home from our beatdown and the stands were full mainly because of Duke fans and not just because State was in town. Duke's program is going in the right direction like our used to be. I guess the acid test will come as time will tell if Cutcliffe gets fat and happy like Grobe or if he keeps the foot down on the pedal.

I will add another thing to watch with Duke is if they start losing good assistants and how they go about replacing them. I don't think Cutcliffe is going anywhere, at his age I think he like the reduced pressure at Duke as opposed to other schools, but keeping assistants is another story.

Last edited:
Duke actually held a big meeting of football alums and other stakeholders back in 2007 in response to our Orange Bowl bid. I think investing in facilities and Cutcliffe are the result of that meeting. We will know two weeks from now if Duke has officially passed us.

Duke actually held a big meeting of football alums and other stakeholders back in 2007 in response to our Orange Bowl bid. I think investing in facilities and Cutcliffe are the result of that meeting. We will know two weeks from now if Duke has officially passed us.

Even if we do somehow manage to beat them, I'm not sure that means they haven't passed us though. If we win and go 5-7 and they end up 8-4 or better, I'd say they still have passed us for now.

You know, it sure is gratifying to know that our Orange Bowl year must've inspired so many of the non-traditional football schools that are now having success.:rolleyes:

A losing season is one in which a team loses more games than they won.

Such a classic PhDeac statement. In the face of reasonable argument, cling to gotcha semantics. Never change Ph. Sweet work on the billboard, doctor.

What do you think constitutes a losing season. Are we counting moral victories and won halves in football now, too?

What do you think constitutes a losing season. Are we counting moral victories and won halves in football now, too?

Must have missed where I said it was a winning season.

So both of you must think that going 6-7, including a 5-3 mark in the ACC that got us into the Music City Bowl - a season where we were a field goal away from the ACC Championship game - this was Caldwell-like failure of a year for Wake football?

Just say that openly - that 2011 was a failure and shouldn't be considered a good year for Wake. You know what? I hope you're right. I hope there's a coach out there who could make 2nd in the Atlantic and a bowl game one of our bad years. I'd love that. I hope if that guy exists we fire Wellman and Grobe tomorrow and hire him.

I don't believe that though. I believe that for Wake - if we're going to schedule teams like Notre Dame out of conference - any year we make a bowl game and are in the conversation for an ACC Championship appearance we're doing pretty well.

My argument is simply that it's reasonable to look at 2011 in positive light, rather than lumping it in as a huge failure of a year for Grobe. Even though we were 6-7.

I'm with DC on the Music City Bowl. Just doesn't feel right to lump it in with the others.

I'm with DC on the Music City Bowl. Just doesn't feel right to lump it in with the others.

The issue with 2011 was we lost 5 of the last 6, including blow out losses to both UNC & Vanderbilt. Both Miss St and Notre Dame were winnable games, but we just didn't play well.

I don't believe that though. I believe that for Wake - if we're going to schedule teams like Notre Dame out of conference - any year we make a bowl game and are in the conversation for an ACC Championship appearance we're doing pretty well.

Our out of conference games this year were Presbyterian, Louisiana-Monroe, Army, and Vanderbilt. None of those teams come close to being a "team like Notre Dame". We're looking like a solid bet to go 4-8.

Yup. And I think the answer is that they have already passed us, even if we are able to win.

Can we just move to the SoCon and get it over with?

So both of you must think that going 6-7, including a 5-3 mark in the ACC that got us into the Music City Bowl - a season where we were a field goal away from the ACC Championship game - this was Caldwell-like failure of a year for Wake football?

and let's all remember HOW we landed in the Music City Bowl. We were slated for a lesser bowl until Va. Tech handed us a Christmas gift.

DC, is one positive light in 5 seasons a success?

For whatever reason, Grobe is not held to scrutiny by the national media. They all seem to love him for whatever reason. Maybe he just looks like everyone's dad.

Just say that openly - that 2011 was a failure and shouldn't be considered a good year for Wake. You know what? I hope you're right. I hope there's a coach out there who could make 2nd in the Atlantic and a bowl game one of our bad years. I'd love that. I hope if that guy exists we fire Wellman and Grobe tomorrow and hire him.

My argument is simply that it's reasonable to look at 2011 in positive light, rather than lumping it in as a huge failure of a year for Grobe. Even though we were 6-7.

good points.

Back