• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tiger and Steve Williams are done

I see two scenarios here:

1. Tiger is being a nice guy, and not sure if/when he can come back, so he lets his friend know and tells him to go to another bag and earn consistent cash.

2. Steve doesn't like the new swing changes Tiger is making, so they part ways.

Am I missing a scenario?

3. Being a typical guy who has gotten divorced and wants to start over with his life.

4. Steve was a bad influence on him and was a big factor in making him do what he was doing before.

5. He is trying to part ways with everything in his former life to move on to another life (combo 3-4).

3. Being a typical guy who has gotten divorced and wants to start over with his life.

4. Steve was a bad influence on him and was a big factor in making him do what he was doing before.

5. He is trying to part ways with everything in his former life to move on to another life (combo 3-4).

6. Tiger was super pissed that Stevie was moonlighting.

I've heard he wants Joe LaCava from one source and that Byron Bell (his best friend growing up/pussy protector) will be his caddie from another source.

Interesting. Got any examples?

Not any 1 thing, but Stevie has been the most aggressive caddy out there over the last decade or so. He basically doubles as a bodyguard. Part of that is legitimate protection of his player, but it's always seemed to me that Steve goes overboard the way he barks at people.

Milhouse is apparently correct. Tiger appeared pissed that Steve was moonlighting, even though he'd given his blessing. Steve's comments this a.m. were quite telling. Said he was surprised and upset, had told Tiger he was disappointed in the affair and needed to regain his trust and that now he feels like he's wasted the last 2 years of his life. That was some strong stuff and showed that this was in no way a mutual decision to part ways but a straight firing.

Also heard that they were in each other's weddings and that Elin is friends with Steve's wife. Everyone had dismissed Steve's comments from last year that he didn't know about the affairs. This gives more credibility to those comments now - doesn't look like he was lying now, and I bet that that whole scene caused a bit of stress in his marriage. Given that, probably the best for both Tiger and him that Tiger made that decision, but Steve is pretty emotional about it right now.

Also begs the question of who Tiger really has left with him and who is giving him advice. It'll be interesting to see who makes > $$ from here on out, Tiger or Scott. I'm thinking it'll be the latter.

I've heard he wants Joe LaCava from one source and that Byron Bell (his best friend growing up/pussy protector) will be his caddie from another source.

LaCava would have to jump ship on Dustin Johnson to go to Tiger. A few years ago that would be a no-brainer, but now it would be a very tough decision I would think.

LaCava would have to jump ship on Dustin Johnson to go to Tiger. A few years ago that would be a no-brainer, but now it would be a very tough decision I would think.

Unless my relationship with DJ was testy to begin with, ain't no way would I leave DJ's bag for practically anyone else's. Maybe Rory or Donald, but that's about it. DJ is hitting his prime in his late 20s. There is no one out there who can possibly think Tiger's next 10 years is going to be better than DJ's next 10 years. Given Tiger's left knee and the age of Stricker and Phil, the only US player who one could predict might have as good a next decade as DJ is possibly Fowler.

tough call, because DJ (who i really really like) appears to have a 10 cent head to go with his ridiculous game.

steve's comments were very interesting. the cliff's notes version is "i look a lot of bullets for you, then you fire me because i want to work while you are injured? fuck you." what's so great about this is tiger is finally up against an equal to greater prick.

Good points. DJ seems much more chill and laid back, so I imagine carrying his bag would also come with a lot of good times. But then there's the risk of not taking the game serious enough, but he seems to be avoiding that path so far. A friend of mine knows his little brother pretty well, and has some good second hand stories of private plane rides to exotic locales for partying with beautiful women. The little bro apparently got kicked off Charleston Southern's bball team for smoking the ganja a couple years ago. If I were him, I'd do whatever it took to try to get on my big bro's bag, unless I had enough swing talent to give it a go myself.

Agreed. He thinks he's the fifth Beatle.

:thumbsup:well said!

I might actually start really liking Tiger now. I always cheered against Tiger because of Stevie. The crap he use to say about Phil before the majors was way out of line. I mean having a caddie taking jabs on camera about the tour’s second best golfer is not acceptable.

Bad news is I like Adam Scott.

Which is pretty funny since Tiger hasn't been paying him all this time.

Are we sure this is the case? I've always heard that the top earners actually pay these caddies via salary rather than cut of winings? If this is the case, and Steve has actually been getting paid, perhaps it's a point of contention?

Steve Williams is a millionaire many times over.

Rumor is Tiger didn't cut him the typical 10/15 deal but still payed him a truckload of cash.

I'd probably take the bet on Dustin Johnson versus Tiger over the next 10 years. I just can't believe Tiger's done, and DJ - although I love him as a player - has done nothing but choke away chances at majors. I think it's much more likely that Tiger figures his driver out than DJ figures out a way to start winning a bunch of majors.

Really hope I'm wrong though.

Unless my relationship with DJ was testy to begin with, ain't no way would I leave DJ's bag for practically anyone else's. Maybe Rory or Donald, but that's about it. DJ is hitting his prime in his late 20s. There is no one out there who can possibly think Tiger's next 10 years is going to be better than DJ's next 10 years. Given Tiger's left knee and the age of Stricker and Phil, the only US player who one could predict might have as good a next decade as DJ is possibly Fowler.

Id throw Bubba in to the convo as well but otherwise I agree with everything you said. Oh, and kill me if Fowler blows up and becomes awesome/next Tiger. Dudes got to learn to not dress like a tool.

I'm going with this scenario.

I'm thinking the moonlighting was the icing on the cake, last straw or whatever metaphor you wish. Sounds like a strained relationship, especially with Elin and Steve's wife being close. And even though Tiger was likely still paying him a nice stipend, Steve wanted to work again and was prolly thinking Tiger was done for at least most of the rest of this year.

DC, it's a lot more than Tiger figuring out his driver. It's also his doc figuring out his achilles and knee. Sounds like he has an in between achilles where it is a problem but hasn't ruptured. Throw in a chronic undisclosed knee issue. Is that more ligament issues? Or maybe cartilage issues which could require microfracture? I've had microfracture. Took me forever to recover, and I worked it hard. He's already had that knee cut on 3-4 times. Sounds like they're not entirely sure what the correct course of action is - otherwise he would have had surgery by now. Though one can never tell with Tiger because he's tighter with info than Howard Hughes.

I'll take DJ and give you Tiger. Though DJ did badly choke away the US Open last year in his 1st major in contention, he didn't choke away the PGA (played well and tied) and was a couple of loose chips and 1 OB shot away from Clarke. He's done pretty well those last 2 times.

Id throw Bubba in to the convo as well but otherwise I agree with everything you said. Oh, and kill me if Fowler blows up and becomes awesome/next Tiger. Dudes got to learn to not dress like a tool.

I'll give you Bubba as long as he continues to keep his head on straight (and doesn't try out for Deliverance II in overalls and no shirt) and agree completely about Fowler. There's that new fashion style of a Villegas, but this is way beyond that. It's somewhere between Poulter (who I can't stand) and the new Daly.

If DJ ever wins a major itll probably be his only. He will party so hard after he may never wake up.

Are we sure this is the case? I've always heard that the top earners actually pay these caddies via salary rather than cut of winings? If this is the case, and Steve has actually been getting paid, perhaps it's a point of contention?

according to ESPN, he hasn't been on salary since the injury, and also Williams flew back for the AT&T and then found out Tiger had decided to scratch. I don't particularly care for Williams but Tiger has a history of "what have you done for me lately?" with just about everybody.

Back