• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TIGER IS BACK!!!

Tiger, Day, and Spieth combined are +15 today so far. Unbelievable.

Anyone else think he is rushing back way too soon from back surgery?

Anyone else think he is rushing back way too soon from back surgery?

Actually I know a couple people who got that kind of surgery and it's really not that big a deal.

I think he took it really easy and safe immediately after - most people can hit full shots quicker than Tiger did. I was more surprised that he didn't make it in time for the US Open than I was that he's playing this tourney. I'm sure he wasn't too concerned with making the cut, just wanted to get some real rounds in and support his tournament. I bet all you'll hear is "back felt great, game is rusty" after he misses the cut.

I followed him today for the first 12 holes. Funny thing...he hit is driver fairly well. His approaches and putting were awful

Following Tiger sounds like hell. Were galleries around him not massive?

Following Tiger sounds like hell. Were galleries around him not massive?

He T'ed at 8:00am. There were less than 500 people for the first two or three holes...it was very cool. I was less than 20 feet away from him several times. By the time he made the turn the crowds were massive.

His problem isn't his driver or his back. His irons are very solid. His flat stick is what will keep Nicklaus's record intact. He has gone from one of the best putters ever to below average. That doesn't usually improve as you age.

His problem isn't his driver or his back. His irons are very solid. His flat stick is what will keep Nicklaus's record intact. He has gone from one of the best putters ever to below average. That doesn't usually improve as you age.

I disagree about the driver ( but do agree putting is a problem). If that man had never hit a driver he might already have beaten Jack.

When one talks about Jack Nicklaus & Tiger Wood's "record", I think there are a couple of other things to always keep in mind. There are different kinds of "records" that a person compiles in his life. A career golf record is one....and a career record as a person is another. There is no comparison between these two men regarding the latter. No matter how great Jack Nicklaus' accomplishments were on the golf course, he always placed his family first in his life. That is well documented. Unfortunately, Tiger Woods' record in this area is also well documented.

Regarding the golf accomplishments of these two men....both of which have been amazing....there is one other thing that I would like to offer: In addition to Jack Nicklaus' 18 wins in the four golf majors, he also had 18 2nds & 9 3rds.....that's 45 top three finishes in the four majors. By comparison, Tiger Woods has had 14 wins, 6 2nds & 4 3rds.....that's 24 top three finishes in the four majors.

Tiger Woods had a stretch of golf until he was 32 years old that will probably go down forever as the best in history. He won 14 majors during that time. He will be 39 years old this year....and he hasn't won a major since he was 32. Jack Nicklaus won 7 majors after he turned 33 years old. I have to think that "whole person advantage" that Nicklaus had with his life outside golf played a big part in that. And when comparing these two men, one has to look at the entire person....both on & off the golf course.

That's a clear win for Jack Nicklaus in both of these "life records" from my viewpoint.

Tiger Woods is a great golfer but, to paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen: "I knew Jack Nicklaus. Tiger Woods is no Jack Nicklaus." (either as a golfer, or, more importantly, as a family man."

Placing family first is the most important thing a man can do. Unless, of course, it means withdrawing from a golf tournament to be there for the birth of your child. But, for everything else...family first.

Once again...as I have restated several times now, but which you evidently choose to ignore...my biggest complaint with what Mahan did was entering the tournament in the first place and depriving another golfer who needed the spot a chance to play. If he was planning to withdraw...as he evidently knew there was a reasonably good chance of happening...he should never have entered in the first place.

So, fuck you and your smarmy juvenile response. :)

Facepalm

I think everyone knows that Tiger cannot hold a candle to Jack in the character department. Forget about the off the course conduct--Tiger is not the gentleman on the course that Jack was---not even close. He still flings clubs, cusses and is generally a sourpuss when things have not gone his way. He has gotten better but at his age he should be much more of a grown up out there. And does anyone think Jack wouldn't have withdrawn from last year's Masters? Or that he would have taken that ridiculous drop at the TPC? If you go by sheer talent and tournament results Tiger belongs with Jack and Bobby Jones among golf's greatest. But as a representative of the game--it isn't in their league.

I'm no Tiger defender but in his (and many contemporary golfers') defense, every single thing they do on the course is caught from 20 different angles and instantly disseminated and analyzed world wide. Well, not at The Masters, of course, but you get the idea. You know guys like Arnie, Gary, Jack, Byron, and even Bobby had their moments on the course. There just wasn't network cameras and smartphones every 10 feet to capture it all. Certainly not excusing bad behavior on the course but we have to realize that they're under a microscope out there.

I'm no Tiger defender but in his (and many contemporary golfers') defense, every single thing they do on the course is caught from 20 different angles and instantly disseminated and analyzed world wide. Well, not at The Masters, of course, but you get the idea. You know guys like Arnie, Gary, Jack, Byron, and even Bobby had their moments on the course. There just wasn't network cameras and smartphones every 10 feet to capture it all. Certainly not excusing bad behavior on the course but we have to realize that they're under a microscope out there.

There is no doubt players are under a microscope that guys 20 years ago didn't have to deal with. The sports media and media in general has gotten crazy, I'm not sure the 24/7 media age is a good thing in many respects. Too much opinion, too much speculation, just too much because they have to fill 24 hours a day with stuff. The craziest thing I've seen is on cnnsi.com, there is actually a story about whether Tiger is now the favorite going into the British Open now that he is back???? Give me a break!!!!!

If he was planning to withdraw...as he evidently knew there was a reasonably good chance of happening...he should never have entered in the first place.

Hey moron...the baby was 20+ days early.

http://golfweek.com/news/2013/jul/27/hunter-mahan-wds-after-wife-goes-labor/
But the baby wasn’t due until Aug. 17. Mahan’s wife had gone to the doctor earlier this week, and there was no reason to expect an early delivery, said Mahan’s longtime caddie, John Wood.

He actually was thinking ahead for tournaments that would have been reasonable:
With the PGA Championship being held the week before Mahan’s due date, Team Mahan had discussed the possibility of just such a scenario.

“But nothing this early,” Wood said. “It came as a huge surprise.”

Last edited:

It's the same reason violent crime seems to be spiraling out of control when rates are actually down. Everything is now captured, recorded, reported, etc.

Back