• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

Would be a lot less embarrassing to break that rule.
Right. How could any competent person, much less one paid to ensure the integrity of the contest, think I can’t stop the game 5 seconds after the restart to fix my inexcusable error that calls into question the integrity of the contest?

“Manchester United get all the calls” is its own ball of joy
"all the decisions" is the comment. And I use it in quotes, so if you quote me using it in quotes then you need the 3 quotes, i.e. "'Manchester United get all the decisions.'"

Yes, which is a way of snarkly saying that the refs make awful decisions in favor of, and against, Manchester United. Man United supporters have been using that snidely since the early 2000s, if not before.

Y'all aren't this thick so maybe I'm being trolled here. If so, well done. I bit.

But in case you're not joking, I invite you to find one post of mine in the 10+ year history on these boards, or any message boards, or my twitter account, that ever said once that there was a bias against Manchester United by officials. One or numerous officials. And I won't post on soccer threads for 6 months. Go for it. Find one.

Gouldy just basically said because Klopp is on the sidelines he thinks that decision went against Liverpool yesterday. That was crazy talk. He then went on a run and insinuated it again afterwards! Just bonkers.

I think the only reason I even mentioned it is that I haven’t experienced this reaction from the board Liverpool fans before. Usually absurd screen shots and video compilations are from DV7 and Gooner. :)

I mean the offsides was indefensible. The other calls seemed to be just the general inconsistency of refereeing to me.

I think it’s just the amount of bad calls in a single game. It felt sketchy, exacerbated by a legitimate goal being taken away when we were already fighting it a man down.

we had Gomez get kicked through, no call, but virgil got a straight red for the exact kick earlier this season.

Mac got a yellow vs Chelsea for waving the “card” hand In The air. Twice spurs players waved the “card”, once in the refs face. No cards. One of these would have sent off the player jota tripped, thus he wouldn’t have been on the field to get tripped. etc.

jota got a yellow for him tripping over himself, etc.

add to all of that the fact that we’ve missed the title twice by 1 point. We understand how key getting a single point can be in a season and it was just a lot to take if you watched the whole match.

bottom line, we got screwed,but it’s done and dusted. The take away for me, we aren’t soft like we had been last season. The team is legitimate.

Damn nearly took, a point in a game that was stacked against us. I mean it took 2 red cards, an own goal, and a disallowed goal for spurs to beat us at home In the final seconds.

VvD got a straight red for being the last man in a DOGSO. Not for the severity of the contact on the foul.

but happy to see that you believe Liverpool players are a shit ton tougher than Liverpool supporters. Because the latter are a bunch of fucking cry babies. Pathetic.

I don't want to dwell on it because it is all incredibly stupid and I'd much much rather concentrate on the soccer, but shit like Saturday makes it tough.

I do think a pocket of refs could have something against Klopp, because they may have (at times, understandably) felt aggrieved/disrespected by actions, and that may at times influence things. I also said how I don't see how that could have played into Saturday's shit, but I don't know. I think the refs and PGMOL have opened themselves up to a lot of questions with the absurdity of that decision and other actions. Like, why allow moonlighting in the UAE league at all, but definitely how do you allow moonlighting and then put them in charge of any aspect of any match between any sides the same weekend - at least give them a weekend off. Why have Hooper involved in such a high profile match after his high profile fuck up earlier?

I don't think if there's something against Klopp/Liverpool it's only against Klopp/Liverpool, I bet these fucks have weird grudges all over the place.

I don't think anyone is sitting around conspiring to fuck over Klopp/Liverpool, but I believe that the ref community is tight and rather than it be something like "how do we fuck over X" it may be more like, "you know what, maybe I got that wrong, but fuck X, I'm not doing anything about it" and then the PGMOL is going to close ranks and defend its guys no matter what because the appearance of integrity is more important to them than actual integrity. And I think that could be a slippery slope to other stuff. If you think that's crazy, then whatever, I don't really care.

Last edited:
Yes, these guys are all above reproach and nothing shady has happened with refereeing in the history of soccer.

There are a couple things: I think one of the problems with VAR is the expectation that it will be correct 100% of the time. Reality is it’s still run by humans and prone to human error…so what has really been solved?

The first red card goes to my issue with using slo-mo or still frames for any review that doesn’t involve a touch line. If you can’t call that a red in a real speed VAR review, then you can’t clearly overturn it in my mind.

Need to see political affiliations of these guys before I really start to go crazy. Getting a strong whiff of Tory looking at those punchable faces.

How does an institution put literal cop Howard Webb and literal human embodiment of pudding Jon Moss in charge of these guys? That's supposed to reassure us?

The first red card goes to my issue with using slo-mo or still frames for any review that doesn’t involve a touch line. If you can’t call that a red in a real speed VAR review, then you can’t clearly overturn it in my mind.
yes

Trying to solve human fallibility with more human fallibility has not worked. Get rid of VAR, only use automated technology, has been my contention for years now.

It’s nice when VAR gets it right but so often they’re just doubling down on wrong.

I think the only reason I even mentioned it is that I haven’t experienced this reaction from the board Liverpool fans before. Usually absurd screen shots and video compilations are from DV7 and Gooner. :)

I mean the offsides was indefensible. The other calls seemed to be just the general inconsistency of refereeing to me.
Once again, I don't post screenshots, I post tweets like I'm Ranger

Back