• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

I know I'm repeating myself but there are two unbelievably incompetent moments in this process.

First, that England didn't understand what the call was on the field is shockingly poor for someone paid to be the VAR for the game. And second, his inability or unwillingness to act once informed of the mistake just 1-2 seconds after the restart, is again just wild.

I feel for the guy because the scrutiny he's under from this incident will follow him for a long time, but you have to wonder whether he's in the wrong line of work.
It's all good, he'll just go to Saudi and get paid once PGMOL fires him.

Pretty obvious penalty just missed on field and VAR didn’t intervene in the Luton game just now

The element you don’t really see talked about but maybe is just the obvious unsaid is the impact of sports betting completely infiltrating sport. I don’t believe officials are by and large biased, but we’ve seen players and managers already taken down for placing wagers, how long before we find officials have as well?

I don’t do much sports betting but I am pissed Diaz didn’t get that fantasy goal for me!

Makes u wonder

I would have settled for Jones’ red being overturned if they wanted to give them one, but if the refs want to find a way to keep big Ev Ferguson out I wouldn’t turn it down.

The element you don’t really see talked about but maybe is just the obvious unsaid is the impact of sports betting completely infiltrating sport. I don’t believe officials are by and large biased, but we’ve seen players and managers already taken down for placing wagers, how long before we find officials have as well?

I don’t do much sports betting but I am pissed Diaz didn’t get that fantasy goal for me!

Makes u wonder

I think there is totally the possibility of this, for sure.

I guess I am unable to envision a universe where that kind of thing is completely off the table. I sort of think most of these guys want to make the right decisions most of the time and mostly do, even the idiots, and most of the time the team that deserves to win does, so it doesn’t really alter the balance all that much. But sometimes it doesn’t take much, either, and they’re human — capable of honest mistakes but also dark, sketchy shit; or even just petty, shallow shit.

Last edited:

Makes u wonder
Has already happened in the NBA. I imagine there were instances where this guy made calls as a lone wolf to fix the outcome. But here he details how had an edge bc he knew all the relationships between refs and players and coaches as well as the points of emphasis refs were being told to focus on for certain games. Also claims playoff games are manipulated to push the series to a game 7 if it is at a game 6. Low odds IMO this type of thing hasn’t been in Euro football given the culture on gambling has been more permissive for years.

Yeah, I mean we've already had major ref/corruption scandals in Europe (and who knows how this Barca thing will turn out), yet there is rarely ever even the talk of such a thing in England, for some reason. I think it'd be way more possible now with the even more major money in the league, coming from all over the world. And they don't have to throw matches and do blatant stuff, it can all be a little more subtle/nuanced yet still undermine integrity. So, one hopes they have some major safeguards in place.

hahahahahaha whiny-baby Klopp has called for the match to be replayed.

hahahahahahhahaha what a child

someone asked a question at a press conference, he responded.

"They didn't do it on purpose and we shouldn't forget that. Yes, it was a mistake. An obvious mistake. I think there would have been solutions. I think the outcome should be a replay. Probably won't happen."

on the officials: "I'm not angry with any of them, not at all. We should not go for them. They made a mistake and I'm sure they felt horrible that night."

more: "If that would happen again, I would say replay. Or much, much better than replay. Sort it in that moment. Common sense."

The media have taken his comments to the extreme. For the record, I'm against the replay. I think the goal should be given retroactively, but I UNDERSTAND why it won't. It's the exact same reason I'm against a replay. You simply can't open that door, or all games will end up being played 4-5, 10 x each. Not going to happen, don't think the club will ask for it.

Media conveniently leaving out the “probably will not happen.” piece in their click bait headlines.

the probably won't happen comment could be taken as more complaining by Klopp. or just his recognition that his belief that the match "should" be replayed is preposterous

You'd rightfully be raking any manager from a club other than Liverpool for suggesting a finished match be replayed. It is a ridiculous premise and whiny-baby Klopp likely knows that but wants to cry about it anyway because he is a perpetual whiner.

The media have taken his comments to the extreme. For the record, I'm against the replay. I think the goal should be given retroactively, but I UNDERSTAND why it won't. It's the exact same reason I'm against a replay. You simply can't open that door, or all games will end up being played 4-5, 10 x each. Not going to happen, don't think the club will ask for it.

Media conveniently leaving out the “probably will not happen.” piece in their click bait headlines.
Right. It wasn't exactly a formal request to the premier league for a replay. It's him talking off the cuff about what he would view as just, knowing full well it's not going to happen. Dumb of him to say it though.

the probably won't happen comment could be taken as more complaining by Klopp. or just his recognition that his belief that the match "should" be replayed is preposterous

You'd rightfully be raking any manager from a club other than Liverpool for suggesting a finished match be replayed. It is a ridiculous premise and whiny-baby Klopp likely knows that but wants to cry about it anyway because he is a perpetual whiner.
I wouldn't dispute the characterization that Klopp can be whiny, like most other highly successful coaches ("typical Germans"), but I actually think he's been pretty measured in his response on this issue. Again, not smart to suggest a replay, even if as an offhand remark, but he's hardly been whiny for the most part in his comments. His outburst at Paul Tierney a couple of years ago was far more over the top.

Actually I wouldn't.

I don't pay much attention to other club's managers outside of pitch side. ;) You seem to have an obsession with Klopp and LFC however.

Yeah, I mean we've already had major ref/corruption scandals in Europe (and who knows how this Barca thing will turn out), yet there is rarely ever even the talk of such a thing in England, for some reason. I think it'd be way more possible now with the even more major money in the league, coming from all over the world. And they don't have to throw matches and do blatant stuff, it can all be a little more subtle/nuanced yet still undermine integrity. So, one hopes they have some major safeguards in place.
You should listen to some of the interviews of that NBA ref who was busted. All sorts of opportunity for huge bias. Have to question whether any league globally has this stuff nailed down all that well. Among other things he noted, some of this may now be dated -

• The vast majority of NBA refs gamble (not on the NBA per se) but the fact they do opens the door for what happened to him. Bc his stuff just started out with gambling on golf, cards, horses, etc. He just says the lifestyle makes it more likely the guys will gamble generally. He eventually was tipping games for organized crime and getting paid off to do it.
  • NBA refs absolutely play favorites with certain players, coaches, etc. And each ref has their own preferences.
  • Coaches and teams try to influence how games are called by sending in tapes to the league. And it can work.
  • Notes how college BB was more about the rule book but NBA is more influenced by personalities of owners, coaches and players (which I guess makes sense given the personalities drive the money of the sport).
  • Refs definitely have it in for certain owners/teams just bc they don't like them for one reason or another. Noted a lot of refs hate Cuban bc he lobbies for more consistency in approach across the league and ends up creating more homework for refs.
  • League doesn't blatantly promote certain teams but knows full well what teams drive TV ratings and may make suggestions as to points of emphasis on particular games that are going to favor some teams over others.
  • Some refs are inclined to manipulate game 6 in a playoff series to get to a game 7 situation. Cited some examples - Lakers take 27 free throws in Q4 of a game they barely won agains the Kings one year
  • Refs get per diems that outstrip their expenses which may lead them to extend playoff series via bias - we're talking thousands of bucks a day. He noted of course I like to have a wad of cash like anyone else
  • While the league tracks who is most likely to get calls right and wrong game to game they don't use that to fire the bottom guys and replace them with new blood.

Overall he describes an old boys type of atmosphere for NBA refs.

It's a missed call. Missed calls have happened in every game since Moses descended from the mountain and invented association football. Is there any excuse for a missed call? No! They shouldn't happen. But they do. I know two points is two points but this isn't the difference in a cup final or making it out of your CL group. It's a domestic match in September. The season as a whole will reflect your success. Donna Summer already.

Back