• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial Soccer Transfer Thread (NWT)

So it looks like Ben Chilwell will be signing a new contract at Leicester.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...low-as-ben-chilwell-decides-to-stay-at-leice/

While I dig most of Liverpool's signings this summer, it does look like they missed out on quite a few first-choice targets, that they leaked themselves but were just not able/willing to go full in for, which seems to be a recurring theme. I'm all for not being extorted, but if they are true top targets sometimes you just need to get it done. Not sure if it was ultimately Klopp's call to bow out or what, and Mane and Wijnaldum might be better fits than Goetze and Zielinski, but there's something frustrating about it.

I'm sure lack of European competition had something to do with it, at least in Goetze's (or Dembele's) case, but that should not really be an issue when you're dealing with Rennes, Udinese, 'Gladbach, and Leicester. I don't know, mainly just venting -- I do like the signings so far, though Klavan and Manninger are just filler. Maybe they'll blow Gladbach out of the water for Dahoud, but more likely they will pass, he'll have a great season, and then a bigger/richer club will swoop in. Think I'm just in a bad mood today.

Last edited:
Arsenal completed the signing of Bolton's Rob Holding, who will wear the No 16 shirt, with Aaron Ramsey taking Mikel Arteta's old No 8 shirt.

So it looks like Ben Chilwell will be signing a new contract at Leicester.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...low-as-ben-chilwell-decides-to-stay-at-leice/

While I dig most of Liverpool's signings this summer, it does look like they missed out on quite a few first-choice targets, that they leaked themselves but were just not able/willing to go full in for, which seems to be a recurring theme. I'm all for not being extorted, but if they are true top targets sometimes you just need to get it done. Not sure if it was ultimately Klopp's call to bow out or what, and Mane and Wijnaldum might be better fits than Goetze and Zielinski, but there's something frustrating about it.

I'm sure lack of European competition had something to do with it, at least in Goetze's (or Dembele's) case, but that should not really be an issue when you're dealing with Rennes, Udinese, 'Gladbach, and Leicester. I don't know, mainly just venting -- I do like the signings so far, though Klavan and Manninger are just filler. Maybe they'll blow Gladbach out of the water for Dahoud, but more likely they will pass, he'll have a great season, and then a bigger/richer club will swoop in. Think I'm just in a bad mood today.

I'm actually glad we missed on Goetze, he seemed to rather sit on the pine for a team in Champions League than start at a club trying to get in champions league next year. Yes it's a gamble that they cannot get there, but if he believes himself good enough, he should have the mindset that he can help push a team to the next level. He would have been an instant starter and potentially a star @ LFC. If he's not interested in that, he's welcome to return to Dortmund. Add to that a miserable display in the euros and maybe it's a case of Klopp made him better than he really was.

Zielinski and Chillwell both were potentials for the future and less for now. Mane and Wijnaldum (official now) both appear to be instant upgrades for now and the future. So while it might hurt to get turned down, my opinion is LFC is better off with what they got than what they wanted.

Cn_TNYCWgAAFSIx.jpg

So this leaves Lallana and Hendo in the dust...but I don't hate it. Never really seen a lot of Wijnaldum so can't speak to his place next to Can. Thought he was more attacking?

I know he'll supposedly add goals from midfield but...his signing leaves me scratching my head a little bit.

Yeah, I totally agree about Goetze, except it would have been a bit of a statement and a guy who has won a lot, but the fees for both Mane and Wijnaldum are both higher than they were going to pay for either Goetze or Zielinski, so I'm not really sure where I'm going with that. Probably just reacting to the Chilwell news and he's a 19 year old who has barely played first team games, so I think I'm just being whiny; that and they clearly want Dahoud but aren't going to blow Gladbach out of the water with an offer they couldn't refuse -- but he's just 20 and coming off his first full(ish) top flight season. Maybe it's sound business, but they'll probably end up breaking even this summer with the sales -- they've been burned before overpaying so I get it, it's fine. I don't know, mainly just thinking/venting outloud. Pretty psyched about Karius, Matip, Mane, Wijnaldum, and Grujic, and the first four fill definite needs and are pretty clear squad upgrades that fit with Klopp's style.

Last edited:
Yeah, I totally agree about Goetze, except it would have been a bit of a statement and a guy who has won a lot, but the fees for both Mane and Wijnaldum are both higher than they were going to pay for either Goetze or Zielinski, so I'm not really sure where I'm going with that. Probably just reacting to the Chilwell news and he's a 19 year old who has barely played first team games, so I think I'm just being whiny; that and they clearly want Dahoud but aren't going to blow Gladbach out of the water with an offer they couldn't refuse -- but he's just 20 and coming off his first full(ish) top flight season. Maybe it's sound business, but they'll probably end up breaking even this summer with the sales -- they've been burned before overpaying so I get it, it's fine. I don't know, mainly just thinking/venting outloud. Pretty psyched about Karius, Matip, Mane, Wijnaldum, and Grujic, and the first four fill definite needs and are pretty clear squad upgrades that fit with Klopp's style.

Not getting Goetze sucks but Klopp makes names out of guys rather than bringing in guys with big names. Would have been cool but not worried.

Cn_TNYCWgAAFSIx.jpg

So this leaves Lallana and Hendo in the dust...but I don't hate it. Never really seen a lot of Wijnaldum so can't speak to his place next to Can. Thought he was more attacking?

I know he'll supposedly add goals from midfield but...his signing leaves me scratching my head a little bit.

I think Wijnaldum can play deeper, he has for both Holland and PSV (and there's a youtube of him playing alongside Shelvey in a "2" for Newcastle against Sunderland) but he is a goal-scoring midfielder rather than someone who dictates, but like most Dutchies he has a pretty good understanding of where to be and what to do anywhere in that position.

Looks pretty good -- may look more like a 4-1-4-1, or drop one of Firmino/Sturridge, add in Henderson and go 4-3-3, but lots of flexibility, plenty of goals (doubt many teams can throw out 5 dudes who got double figures last season), some needed pace. A little shaky at the back perhaps, but I think Klopp is going for chaos more than control, so he'll be fine with that. Mane and Wijnaldum both are great off the ball and finding spaces inside the area to make/take chances. I think it will be guaranteed fun if not the smoothest soccer you'll ever see.

The Chilwell links have gone cold because Leicester wanted 10 million for him -- he hasn't played a first team Premier League game and is entering the last year of his contract, so they may blink before the season starts, otherwise I think Liverpool will wait. Some French press was linking Liverpool with Villa's Jordan Amavi recently, who has been out 8 months with a bad injury but is back training now. Probably bullshit, though.

Chilwell might supplant Fuchs by the end of the season if his Euro performances tell us anything.

Liverpool have spent £235m in the last 5-yrs on players from Southampton, Newcastle, Sunderland and Aston Villa.

Keep buying those proven winners, guys!

Cn_TNYCWgAAFSIx.jpg

What it tells me is, Klopp really isn't impressed with Lallana or Hendo. Can't say I blame him. Both can run for miles on end, but that's only 1 piece of footballing.

It also tells me Klopp really wanted Wijnaldum as the transfer happened fast and LFC didn't toy around with the transfer fee like they did the others.

higuain to juve. gunners lose out.

check out the goal in the juve preseason game

Even with that in mind, good luck keeping a straight face while telling me that Pogba for €120m is absurd when Higuain just went for €94m.

Back