• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial Soccer Transfer Thread (NWT)

Costa and Coman were nowhere close to being international stars last summer when they were bought though, which is what dv7's point was.

Eh ... Costa was for sure, if anyone was paying any attention at all. Coman was clearly ready to be one if someone was going to give him a spot. And overpaying for stars only once they are at the peak of their powers is the idiotic transfer policy that leads to stuff like the last several years of United floundering. You want to buy stars when they are young, so you get their best years - not after those best years are done. That's why Bayern is Bayern right now and United is United.

I know in this case Pogba is both young and proven, which is why the fee is so inflated ... but man, it's a bad way to go about business if you want to win.

Ukraine star, give you Vidal, backup

They invested in not fully proven youth. Not established stars. I won't argue with you that United should do the same, but there is more than enough money to do both and Pogba has all the qualities to dominate the Premiership. You'd kill for him at Spurs, regardless of the price.

Nah, we got Alli!*

*obviously I'd love for him to be at Spurs ... but not for €120m because that would mean the team was substantially weakened in other areas more than he'd strengthen it. Even for United, I think that might still be the case ... though that giant pot of gold they are sitting on Scrooge McDuck style might mean it doesn't matter at all.

After his performance at the Euros only getting 13.5 for Allen is a little disappointing. Hell, if Skrtel can command 6.5/7....

Having only one year left on his contract probably played a part. Not a bad price. I think he's a nice player, I really like Joe Allen, but Klopp wasn't as sold -- I think because of lack of goals/assists, which Wijnaldum should theoretically bring. I wonder if there is any chance at all of Dahoud now -- maybe if Moenchengladbach tank their Champions League qualifier there could be a late push. Can/Dahoud/Wijnaldum would be sweet. Otherwise I think it will be a combo of Henderson and Grujic, with Milner either moved on or played in more attacking areas, and Brannagan getting spot starts, FA Cup/League Cup appearances, or loaned.

I think Lucas is done regardless, and they'll let Stewart be Can's main backup. Fitness is going to be key this year, but not being in Europe should help with that.

You can have Besic for $100MM, dv7. He's probably going to be better than Pogba anyway.

Eh ... Costa was for sure, if anyone was paying any attention at all. Coman was clearly ready to be one if someone was going to give him a spot. And overpaying for stars only once they are at the peak of their powers is the idiotic transfer policy that leads to stuff like the last several years of United floundering. You want to buy stars when they are young, so you get their best years - not after those best years are done. That's why Bayern is Bayern right now and United is United.

I know in this case Pogba is both young and proven, which is why the fee is so inflated ... but man, it's a bad way to go about business if you want to win.

Douglas Costa, 25 (24 at time of purchase), 16 caps, 3 goals for Brazil, 191 apps with 37 goals for Shakhtar before transfer. Attacking midfielder/winger

Kingsley Coman, 20 (19 at time of purchase), 11 caps, 1 goal for France, 22 apps and 1 goal for Juventus before transfer. Attacking winger (don't think he could play centrally) -- signed on loan, not permanent transfer

Paul Pogba, 23, 38 caps, 6 goals for France, 178 apps with 34 goals for Juventus right now. True central midfielder, #8.

So younger than Costa, more experienced than Coman, and has better statistics than both despite playing deeper. The price is high, sure, and inflated, I will agree, but he is a better player than both of them.

Two things that can both be true at the same time. Pogba is damn good and will make United much better immediately on joining the team. And, United are overpaying to get him.

So DV7, can we retire the silly argument that United have owners who don't sufficiently invest in the team?

The best part is that Mourinho is going to try to play Pogba out of position as a holding mid instead of as an attacking mid and he's going to underperform and the fans, Mourinho, and the media will turn on him and it will be amusing as hell to watch.

Do it MouU! Splash dat cash.

Two things that can both be true at the same time. Pogba is damn good and will make United much better immediately on joining the team. And, United are overpaying to get him.

So DV7, can we retire the silly argument that United have owners who don't sufficiently invest in the team?

That stopped being the case one year after SAF retired and they realized their golden goose was the manager gone.

The best part is that Mourinho is going to try to play Pogba out of position as a holding mid instead of as an attacking mid and he's going to underperform and the fans, Mourinho, and the media will turn on him and it will be amusing as hell to watch.

Do it MouU! Splash dat cash.

Schneiderlin will be the 6, Pogba the 8, and ??? the 10. Not sure if that will be Mata, Mhk, Rooney, or Herrera.

Reports that LFC agreed to 25 mil fee for Newcastle’s Georginio Wijnaldum overnight. Considering outgoing transfers this was in effect, trading Jordon Ibe, Jerome Sinclair and Sergi Canos for Wijnaldum. Curious how Klopp plans to line him up.

Sounds like Spurs will sign Dier to a new 5-year deal doubling his wages to 70k/week. There must have really been someone after him this summer. Lock down that young talent.

Reports that LFC agreed to 25 mil fee for Newcastle’s Georginio Wijnaldum overnight. Considering outgoing transfers this was in effect, trading Jordon Ibe, Jerome Sinclair and Sergi Canos for Wijnaldum. Curious how Klopp plans to line him up.

Yeah, I'm pretty curious about the whole team, there seems to be some overcrowding in a few positions, especially if Klopp is seeing Firmino as a central striker. But I think Karius, Matip, Mane, and Wijnaldum all improve the first XI, and Mane and Wijnaldum do goals/assists.

Think there might be a surprise sale, one of the English internationals (Sturridge, Lallana, Henderson, Milner) or Coutinho, still. There were a couple of rumblings that Atletico were interested in Origi if they don't land Diego Costa, but I can't see that happening. I think Sturridge may get the chop, maybe Arsenal buys him late or something, after the opening match when they're playing Akpom or Sanogo at striker. But maybe Klopp has a plan for all of them, it just seems a little crowded in the attacking areas for a team with no Europe. Can't keep everyone happy no matter what, though.

Last edited:
Last edited:
In other boring Spurs news that you're wondering why I'm posting, Swans have bid 10m pounds for Chadli (Levy wants 15 but sounds like a deal should get done there) and Wimmer signs a 5-year extension as well. He was fantastic filling in for Verts last season so that's great news.

Wijnaldum should reach the club’s Palo Alto training base by Sunday & is likely to make his debut against Chelsea. (David Maddock - Mirror)

Wijnaldum will have a medical tomorrow after a £23m fee, which could rise to £25m based on appearances, was agreed. (David Maddock - Mirror)

5 year, £75,000 a week contract #Wijnaldum *Mirror*

Galatasaray have opened negotiations with Liverpool over a potential £2.5m deal for Lucas Leiva. #lfc (David Maddock - Mirror)

Would still love to solve the LB debacle as I wouldn't trust Moreno to hold my fucking sunglasses.

The Chilwell links have gone cold because Leicester wanted 10 million for him -- he hasn't played a first team Premier League game and is entering the last year of his contract, so they may blink before the season starts, otherwise I think Liverpool will wait. Some French press was linking Liverpool with Villa's Jordan Amavi recently, who has been out 8 months with a bad injury but is back training now. Probably bullshit, though.

Last edited:
Now reports that Klopp is going for another Attacking Midfielder. Perhaps he's not happy with any of the existing MF....

Jurgen Klopp is eyeing a £28million move for Schalke starlet Max Meyer according to reports in Germany.

Back